chichen Itza possible from island of cozumel ?

ceurope88

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to take a tour to CHichen Itza when ship docks at Cozumel or Island of Cozumel. It seems to be a long bus ride, 2.5 hrs each way if not more. Years ago, ships dock at 7 and leave at midnight,making it possible for the tour . Now most ships ( if not all) leaves port at around dinner time. Does anyone know if it is possible to tour Chichen Itza with the Western Caribbean cruise? I really love to see this new wonder of the world by cruise. Thx

I would not take the chance of doing this tour unless it is offered through the cruise line. Have you thought about visiting Tulum or Coba? Tulum will be the closest ruins. You will to take the ferry to PDC. We have visited many of the ruins in the Yuctan Peninsula and enjoyed Coba.

I absolutely would not do this UNLESS you can book it through the ship.

We took a ship's excursion to Chichen Itza many years ago. It was a VERY long day and our excursion was almost two hours late getting back (bus broke down). Naturally, the ship was waiting.

LuLu

As others have said a very long day.. first you have a ferry boat ride of 45 minutes, then getting transportation to Chichen Itza will be more like 3 hours with stops at tourist traps.

Touring the ruins in the summer heat is not for the faint of heart.

Bottled water and time for the tour at least 1-1/2 to see the entire area.

Then heading back anything can happen like others have said.

There are other ruins right on Cozumel, El Cedral and San Gervasio and about 1 hour from Playa del Carmen after getting off the ferry is Tulum.

Edited by ISLABONITA

While I'm with everyone else saying do a ship's excursion if you HAVE to go to Chichen. Your better bet would be to go on an excursion from a cruise to Progresso, or a land stay.

You COULD arrange a tour with a private flight from Cozumel and that may be the ONLY way to go if you want to do it on your own. This will be a fairly costly tour,but I know it can be done.

While I'm with everyone else saying do a ship's excursion if you HAVE to go to Chichen. Your better bet would be to go on an excursion from a cruise to Progresso, or a land stay.

You COULD arrange a tour with a private flight from Cozumel and that may be the ONLY way to go if you want to do it on your own. This will be a fairly costly tour,but I know it can be done.

Princess offers a shore excursion by plane on some sailings from Cozumel to Chichen Itza. I don't know if other cruise lines do or not.

LuLu

Princess offers a shore excursion by plane on some sailings from Cozumel to Chichen Itza. I don't know if other cruise lines do or not.

LuLu

Lulu, that's good to know! I've never seen if offered on a cruise line! That's a bonus!

Lulu, that's good to know! I've never seen if offered on a cruise line! That's a bonus!

:o I went to the Princess Shore Excursion list for Cozumel so I could give you the excursion number for you to read the complete description. Unfortunately, it was no longer listed. Sorry for the false hope .... :o

LuLu

I would not try to do Chichen Itza from Cozumel. It will be a very very long day, and I think very stressful, cutting the port time very close.

From Progresso it is very do-able, but the friends we had who did it said (after seeing our photos) they wished they had gone to Uxmal. It was closer, so less of a drive, we spent more time there, and the site is less crowded. Uxmal also still allows many of the buildings to be climbed. Our guides told us the historical signifigance is not as great, but it is considered by the current Mayans to be a more beautiful city.

Appreciated all the helpful info. To visit the New 7 Wonders of the World is my bucket list , so Tulum and the other ones are not on my priority list. At first , this wonder seems to be very doable but actually seems to be the toughest to get to. :(

Appreciated all the helpful info. To visit the New 7 Wonders of the World is my bucket list , so Tulum and the other ones are not on my priority list. At first , this wonder seems to be very doable but actually seems to be the toughest to get to. :(

Take Carnival Triumph or Freedom out of Galveston. A Chichen Itza excursion will be offered.

Or go on a vacation to Cozumel, Cancun, or somewhere similar. It can then be done as a day trip (it will still be a LONG trip- but your hotel will be there when you get back.)

Not really difficult at all; just difficult if you are only cruising to Cozumel.

Thx for info. I am not aware that there are cruises that dock at Progresso. Any info on that?

The Elation out of New Orleans docks at Progreso then Cozumel. Chichen Itza is very possible from Progreso and there are several tours that go there, including one from Carnival. I would not try it from Coz.

A big thank you. I am now looking into the cruises suggested. I know it is hot there but will winter ( Jan and Feb) be a bit better to go? In other words, which month is the best for the CI tour?

Jan-March, but it is still likely to be hot - you are not too far from the equator.