Short fishing side trip out of Ketchikan?

lasnev

We only have a few morning hours in Ketchikan and wanted to surprise DH with a short fishing trip, not longer than 3 hours. Any ideas? One of the guys mentioned here Capt. K not available on this day. Also it may be a problem that only two people would be going. Thanks!

Depending on when you go there is a place to rent tackle and fish from shore (along with a few hundred of your new closest friends) near the Creek Street bridge. Search on tackle rental in Ketchikan for more info.

Sightcrr

Ditto' date=' Ken showed our family an incredible time. We had continuous fish on the line and had a box of tastey fillets sent home.[/quote']

do you know if non - fishing spouses have to pay the same rate as the fishing person?

Salty Sea Charters all booked for our day, actually booked for most of July!

I did make a reservation with Ketchikan Charter Boats, before everything gets booked up as time is running out. I am sure it will be a great time no matter what, DH will take fishing in Alaska any day! Thanks for all the suggestions...I did learn that time is of the essence, especially in Alaska!

Is the processing price ($2 per pound) before or after they clean it? I can see that being pretty pricey if it is calculated on the before cleaned weight.

Whatever the price quoted is, be sure to add FedEx shipping. When we went a few years ago, the processing and shipping charges for the six of us on the charter was close to $300.00! for about 36 fish.

Whatever the price quoted is, be sure to add FedEx shipping. When we went a few years ago, the processing and shipping charges for the six of us on the charter was close to $300.00! for about 36 fish.

Wow. That is probably more than the fish cost in a store. Maybe not as fresh but still very pricey. I think I would have thrown mine back :)

$10 per pound for any Alaskan fish is very reasonable. Our catch included cod, rockfish and halibut. Halibut is typically in the $20 per pound range and the cod and rockfish are at least as tasty. The salmon purchased for $10 per pound is likely for the swimming in their feces, farm raised variety.

Another thing to consider is how you want your fish processed - filets or smoked. We did a combination of both but I wish I would have had more of it smoked. The smoked salmon was delicious. Either way, they get shipped to you in portion-sized vacuum sealed packages. Very convenient. Of course, it is more expensive than buying it in a store, but these are fish you went out and caught so there's always a story to tell.

$10 per pound for any Alaskan fish is very reasonable. Our catch included cod' date=' rockfish and halibut. Halibut is typically in the $20 per pound range and the cod and rockfish are at least as tasty. The salmon purchased for $10 per pound is likely for the swimming in their feces, farm raised variety.[/quote']

That's exactly as I see it. Quite a bargain for fresh seafood! So definitely going

to ship back all the catch. Hoping for some good luck here!

Wow. That is probably more than the fish cost in a store. Maybe not as fresh but still very pricey. I think I would have thrown mine back :)

That's what a vast majority of people do. They mainly do it for the adventure of having done it.