15 year-old without picture ID and getting back onboard at ports

Does a 15 year-old traveling with birth certificate and no state issued picture ID need only his RCI Sea Sail card to get back onto the ship at the ports of Labadee, Cozumel and/or Jamaica? I'm mainly concerned about the local port officials having a problem, not so much the cruise line staff. I've never cruised with anyone without a picture ID before and I can't even remember if anyone really even looks at them at the port gates. If he might have a problem somewhere I'm thinking maybe he shouldn't get off at some of the ports.??

Does a 15 year-old traveling with birth certificate and no state issued picture ID need only his RCI Sea Sail card to get back onto the ship at the ports of Labadee, Cozumel and/or Jamaica? I'm mainly concerned about the local port officials having a problem, not so much the cruise line staff. I've never cruised with anyone without a picture ID before and I can't even remember if anyone really even looks at them at the port gates. If he might have a problem somewhere I'm thinking maybe he shouldn't get off at some of the ports.??

So far as I have heard and seen, if the adult has the photo ID, they don't worry so much about the kids in any of the Caribbean ports. Must have his Sea Pass though! That's an absolute.

Can always double-check with Royal though. They can tell you for certain.

Edited by Darkwolfe

Photo ID is only required for 16 years and older. The local port authority will allow your 15 year old to reboard with just his sea pass if he is accompanied by you. (My children are 22 and 20, but look younger. Although they carry their driver's license ashore, they are usually not asked for it when they are with us.)

My 2 kids have been on about 15 cruises each and they have never had a photo ID nor has anyone ever asked.

In fact I don't recall anyone every asking me for anything other than a S&S pass....

My 2 kids have been on about 15 cruises each and they have never had a photo ID nor has anyone ever asked.

In fact I don't recall anyone every asking me for anything other than a S&S pass....

They do in Nassau for sure....can't leave the shop area to go back on the pier without showing the guard a picture ID....I've seen people have to wait while someone else went back to the ship & get their ID for them...

Simple answer: The requirement for a photo ID only applies to 16 years and older. Period.

EVERYONE must have his/her SeaPass card to get off and on the ship.

:)

In cozumel they were sticklers...we not only needed our S&S card, but also our passport/photo ID.

she won't need it per rules and regulations, but for less than $10 in most states you can get her an ID...simple, easy and why wouldn't you want your child to have SOME sort of photo ID?

They asked my son, who was 15 at the time but looked older for proof...we had his BC, but he has a mustache and could have easily passed for 19-20...

In cozumel they were sticklers...we not only needed our S&S card, but also our passport/photo ID.

she won't need it per rules and regulations, but for less than $10 in most states you can get her an ID...simple, easy and why wouldn't you want your child to have SOME sort of photo ID?

They asked my son, who was 15 at the time but looked older for proof...we had his BC, but he has a mustache and could have easily passed for 19-20...

As I stated in the post immediately before yours, it is NOT my child and I don't make those decisions for this child.

As I stated in the post immediately before yours, it is NOT my child and I don't make those decisions for this child.

And where in my post did I say that I was speaking directly to YOU?

I was sharing MY opinion, just as you shared yours...just because I replied under you, doesn't mean I was replaying TO you.

15 year olds do not need a picture ID, and you do not need to get one, at any DMV, and you do not need a passport, and a school ID does not work, and the 15 year old can not get off the ship without an adult, and can not get on the ship without an adult. The adult is there to vouch for the kid, and if the ship cards match, no problem. Cruises have thousands of kids on the ship every week (among all the cruise lines/ships), and it has never been a requirement for someone to go to a DMV to waste money on a state ID, that is and never has been needed.

No one said it was a requirement. That being said a 15 yeAr old is darn close to 16. It isn't As if someone is saying, "hey go spend hundreds of dollars." ID's are more than reasonable and said child will probably need one sooner rather than later at some point. So what's the big deal?

Get one don't get one-I don't think Anyone is saying what the OP has to do, merely giving our opinions. Which are just as valid as yours

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If a 16 year old has a picture ID they may as well take it ashore with them. We've been on 9 Eastern/Western/Southern Caribbean cruises and the compass always said take your picture ID. On NONE of them have we (of any age) ever been asked to show them ID at any port when returning to the ship. I highly doubt the local authorities (or ship staff) are going to deny a 16 year old returning to the ship because they didn't have a picture ID.......:rolleyes:

Good example of over-thinking things at cruisecritic. Take the under-18 kids, enjoy the ports. And don't worry about it.

If he might have a problem somewhere I'm thinking maybe he shouldn't get off at some of the ports.??

No problem - no reason AT ALL he shouldn't get off!!! Children of every age get off at every port. That's what cruising is all about.

Edited by bouhunter

Lord-who's overthinking anything! The DMV is not difficult to navigate and if one can afford a cruise surely $10 for an ID isn't going to break the bank. Nor is getting some form of legal ID a bad thing at that age!

Seriously?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would rather err on the side of "just in case" it's asked for and have a photo ID for the child than not have one. Hopefully the parents or guardians of the child wouldn't mind spending $5-10 dollars and a stop at the DMV to get one made for the child. It's really simple. I think we used my son's birth certificate and immunization record from the local health department to get the ID made. I would make a copy of it and keep it with your papers on ship "just in case" the child goes missing (heaven forbid), - helps to have some legal identification with a current photo in a system somewhere.

Well this is something that never occurred to me. My dd will be turning 16 a couple weeks before our cruise. She has a school id but will not have a drivers license as you have to be 16.5 here to get it. Someone said a school ID won't work. So am I right that my choice is either to bring her passport and carry that around all day with me or take an afternoon off work so I can wait in line at the RMV and get her an ID?

Lord-who's overthinking anything! The DMV is not difficult to navigate and if one can afford a cruise surely $10 for an ID isn't going to break the bank. Nor is getting some form of legal ID a bad thing at that age!

Why does a minor need a $10 legal ID?

Who would need to see it?