Beverage Prices with Celebrity

johnandmel

Hi All,

My family and I will be sailing on the Millennium in September starting off in Tokyo. I was wondering if any one has an up to date price list for the beverages on board, we are trying to work out if it is worth us taking a drinks package or not, we have been quoted AUD$899 for the classic package but when you look at the Itinerary it seems a bit expensive considering there is only approx 5 - 6 sea days in the 14 days and, assuming the prices are reasonable, I think we would struggle to consume AUD$64 worth of grog per day? Any help is greatly appreciated.

John, Mel & Dale

Perth W.A.

The entire situation with the drinks packages seems to be in flux.

My advice to you is to wait until you are on board and can see the prices in the bars of the drinks you would be likely to order, then do the calculation to see if purchasing the package makes sense.

Keep in mind that the alcohol packages also include bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, espresso-based beverages, carbonated soft drinks, in addition to beer, wine, liquor. You may find that with all of those, the package makes sense. On the other hand, if you plan to only drink the ship's water (potable), you don't drink cappuccino, you would only be buying a drink or two each night, and maybe a bottle of wine (not covered in the package) then maybe pay-as-you-go makes sense.

You do not need to pre-purchase the package. You could even wait a day or two to see what you are buying, and then purchase the package for the remaining days of the cruise.

You are correct, that with a port heavy itinerary, it can be difficult to consume enough to make the packages any kind of value. I would wait as suggested. We enjoy stopping in local spots while at ports for fun and variety.;)

I think I read some where that it is cheaper to purchase a package before hand is this the case?

Welcome to Cruise critic, I would suggest doing as Cruisestitch suggested, see how you go for the first day and then evaluate whether it is value or not. It is the same price when bought prior or post. The only real advantage you may have is paying in AUD prior while paying in USD on board but then it may work out worse as well.:D

Hi All,

My family and I will be sailing on the Millennium in September starting off in Tokyo. I was wondering if any one has an up to date price list for the beverages on board, we are trying to work out if it is worth us taking a drinks package or not, we have been quoted AUD$899 for the classic package but when you look at the Itinerary it seems a bit expensive considering there is only approx 5 - 6 sea days in the 14 days and, assuming the prices are reasonable, I think we would struggle to consume AUD$64 worth of grog per day? Any help is greatly appreciated.

John, Mel & Dale

Perth W.A.

Here is my "RUFF" run down of a day with a drink pkg on another thread:

For us at least, the package was not just about 'grog' that would make us not remember the cruise! It was everything else that the pkg includes.

A speciality coffee each on the balcony while the wifester is putting on her face, $5 ea.

Evian or San Pellegrino with fresh squeezed juice with that second coffee at breakfast, $15 ea.

Grab a bottle water on the way to stake out a deck chair, $4 ea.

$24 each before any mind altering liquid is consumed.

A beer or the drink of the day by the pool, $6 ea

Then off to lunch, maybe a soda, or another San Pellegrino $5 ea

The sun is hot hot hot! A cold beer or drink of the day is in order, $6 ea

The burger at the Mast Grill is calling our names, it does not go down with out some liquid assistance, $5 ea, then it is time to meet friends to watch the sun set from the Sunset Bar, $6 ea. Afternoon total $28.

And the evening fun has yet to begin.

San Pellegrino and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, and another speciality coffee with desert, $26 ea

Now it is time for some mind altering sampling to happen, or not A cocktail with friends at one of the watering holes on ship $7 ea, or 2 if we are letting our hair down!

One more bottle water on the way back to the cabin just in case we get thirsty during the night, $4. Evening total, $44.

Morning, $24, day, $28, evening $44, total $96.00 each useing the low end of the cost scale and not much mind altering substance.

Some evening's we will grab another coffee ( or worse) and go and sit on deck 5 to unwind, listen to the swoosh of the waves gently breaking down the side of the ship before heading to the cabin.

We upgraded to the Premium on the Reflection last Nov as most of the wine the wifester drank was at a higher price point, as were my selections from the Craft beer menu.

IOHO, yes, it is worth it.

The problem is that Cruisenut's original post seems to be prior to the whole Classic Drinks package debacle, a lot of the drinks are way more expensive and the prices are definately more expensive than last year. The example I quoted in another post was the Beringer White Zinfandel which last year was $5.50 + 15% service charge worked out at approx $6.32 but this year including service charge is $8.50, this is from a list supplied by Kevinyork who had all sorts of problems with the Classic package in early May. The onboard pricing doesn't seem to be consistent across all ships? but this was during a state of flux when Celebrity didn't seem to have a handle on communications between the ships and Head Office. The drinks prices have definately gone up but after all the furore so have the price break limits but even this is subject to interpretation as different price breaks are being bandied about. The 'official communication' issued on here by a Celebrity rep on the 19th May 2014 states: Spirits and Cocktails up to $8.00 Beers up to $6.00 and Wines up to $9.00, I assume that these are pre service charge prices but am not sure.

Here is my "RUFF" run down of a day with a drink pkg on another thread:

For us at least, the package was not just about 'grog' that would make us not remember the cruise! It was everything else that the pkg includes.

A speciality coffee each on the balcony while the wifester is putting on her face, $5 ea.

Evian or San Pellegrino with fresh squeezed juice with that second coffee at breakfast, $15 ea.

Grab a bottle water on the way to stake out a deck chair, $4 ea.

$24 each before any mind altering liquid is consumed.

A beer or the drink of the day by the pool, $6 ea

Then off to lunch, maybe a soda, or another San Pellegrino $5 ea

The sun is hot hot hot! A cold beer or drink of the day is in order, $6 ea

The burger at the Mast Grill is calling our names, it does not go down with out some liquid assistance, $5 ea, then it is time to meet friends to watch the sun set from the Sunset Bar, $6 ea. Afternoon total $28.

And the evening fun has yet to begin.

San Pellegrino and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, and another speciality coffee with desert, $26 ea

Now it is time for some mind altering sampling to happen, or not A cocktail with friends at one of the watering holes on ship $7 ea, or 2 if we are letting our hair down!

One more bottle water on the way back to the cabin just in case we get thirsty during the night, $4. Evening total, $44.

Morning, $24, day, $28, evening $44, total $96.00 each useing the low end of the cost scale and not much mind altering substance.

Some evening's we will grab another coffee ( or worse) and go and sit on deck 5 to unwind, listen to the swoosh of the waves gently breaking down the side of the ship before heading to the cabin.

We upgraded to the Premium on the Reflection last Nov as most of the wine the wifester drank was at a higher price point, as were my selections from the Craft beer menu.

IOHO, yes, it is worth it.

Thanks to all who have replied and many many thanks to you Wallie5446, this is exactly what I wanted.

The 'official communication' issued on here by a Celebrity rep on the 19th May 2014 states: Spirits and Cocktails up to $8.00 Beers up to $6.00 and Wines up to $9.00, I assume that these are pre service charge prices but am not sure.

Yes those limits are pre service charge.

Thanks to all who have replied and many many thanks to you Wallie5446, this is exactly what I wanted.

You are welcome John, Mel and or Dale!:D

I know the packages are in a state of flux right now as Celebrity makes a weak attempt to get their 'stuff' ;) together.

For us at least, it is more about the hassle free and not worrying about that final tab that get slid under the door the final night. Pricing will be constantly changing, and we will alter our ordering to fit within the guidelines, as we sail because of the burgers at the Mast Grill:)

Have a wonderful cruise.

EW

( ps: our sea pass bill would not go under the door last sailing )

Edited by wallie5446

Getting a package is an individual choice as to whether it is worth it or not but as Wallie has demonstrated it is quite easy to get your moneys worth even with the Premium package. We always get a package whether it is a perk (included in the cruise price) or not.:D

Getting a package is an individual choice as to whether it is worth it or not but as Wallie has demonstrated it is quite easy to get your moneys worth even with the Premium package. We always get a package whether it is a perk (included in the cruise price) or not.:D

I understand where you are coming from, however when you look closer at my itinerary I actually only have 8 sea nights out of 14 and at AUD$1083.00 P/P I don't think I could do enough damage to either package to justify that amount of money.