Any river ships with daily dining upstairs?

charmed1959

We just got off the AMA Prima on a Danube cruise. Whenever we dining times were in port, the waterlevel dining room seemed very cramped, as they pulled the drapes on the side facing the dock wall. There were times all drapes were drawn as we were moored between two ships. I found that really depressing.

Are there ships where the dining room is one floor up, so when in port the dining room would still get natural light?

Well, on Viking the dining room is one deck above water level but we were never moored between two ships anyway, and only alongside another Viking ship for a couple of hours. Viking's buffet, which you can use for breakfast and lunch and has a limited evening menu, is on a higher deck and also has an outside area.

I can't imagine having another ship on both sides of you, it must be very gloomy. It doesn't sound like very good planning on behalf of the cruise line.

I can't imagine having another ship on both sides of you, it must be very gloomy. It doesn't sound like very good planning on behalf of the cruise line.

Yeah, I was wondering how common that was. I think AMA is trying to save on docking fees. I wouldn't recommend this cruise.

Yeah, I was wondering how common that was. I think AMA is trying to save on docking fees. I wouldn't recommend this cruise.

I don't you understand anything about river cruses. All the cruise lines dock where one ship in tied to another up to four seep and they are all different cruse lines tied together.

charmed1959,

Boats dock where they are assigned by the port authorities in the various ports. Have cruised twice with AMA and they mainly close drapes to give the guests privacy during meals. We were on one trip-not AMA- where the drapes in the lounge were open and were treated to quite a show from the boat next to us.

I don't you understand anything about river cruses. All the cruise lines dock where one ship in tied to another up to four seep and they are all different cruse lines tied together.

Yes, tied to another ship is common. Not only must you walk through the other ship if it is dockside, but you loose all private from your balcony if you have one.

It sounds awful to me but with the increase in the number of river vessels there will be more and more of that sort of thing.

I don't know whether your rather patronising post is directed at the OP or at me. But one reason we chose Viking for our cruise was because their representative claimed that an advantage of Viking was that they rarely had to tie up alongside other ships, unlike other cruise lines. I can only speak as I find. We were only ever tied up alongside another ship twice, on both occasions it was another Viking ship and each time it was only for a few houes till the other ship moved off and we took their place alongside the dock.

At the height on the river cruising season I think you will find it quite common that there are a few ships rafted together especially since there are so many new ships especially Viking. As mentioned the port positions are assigned by the port authorities not the cruise line.

http://www.travelweekly.com/River-Cruising/Traffic-control/

I am amazed that people are worried about their balcony being adjacent to another balcony of another ship. Why not sit out on the balcony and have a chat with them. You never know they might be really nice people. :rolleyes:

We just got off the AMA Prima on a Danube cruise. Whenever we dining times were in port, the waterlevel dining room seemed very cramped, as they pulled the drapes on the side facing the dock wall. There were times all drapes were drawn as we were moored between two ships. I found that really depressing.

Are there ships where the dining room is one floor up, so when in port the dining room would still get natural light?

I know that on the Vantage River Navigator the dining room is on the Navigator deck (just below the open upper deck).

x1azpt.jpg

I don't know whether your rather patronising post is directed at the OP or at me. But one reason we chose Viking for our cruise was because their representative claimed that an advantage of Viking was that they rarely had to tie up alongside other ships, unlike other cruise lines. I can only speak as I find. We were only ever tied up alongside another ship twice, on both occasions it was another Viking ship and each time it was only for a few houes till the other ship moved off and we took their place alongside the dock.

Well, their rep was certainly dishonest. And it is not a matter of saving on port fees, it is a matter of supply and demand.

We have river cruised 6 times and in busy ports we are often rafted. On our recent cruise, there were 6 Viking ships in Amsterdam (could not tell them apart as they are all the same unappealing look from the exterior) and they were rafted together.

<All the cruise lines dock where one ship in tied to another up to four seep and they are all different cruse lines tied together.>

Accurate statement and has been our experience as well.