Mendenhall Glacier

frostypenguin

The MGT bus was right at the pier as you exit the ships. We did not use it, but it was there, ready to go. You could use it or take a cab. To save time, if the bus is not there, take a cab out and the bus back. Either way, it is worth it.

Yes, definitely worth it. Much cheaper, and you can take your time once you get out there. If you like to hike, there are several trails - visitor center has a map. Last bus back runs at 5:30 or so - ask when you board.

There are several bus companies that have booths right at the dock. We used MGT out to the glacier, they were connected with another one (can't rememebr the name) which we used coming back. We only waited about 10 minutes, the MGT folks said they run every half hour or so.

They all charged the same price and seemed to be helpful.

Mendenhall is quite a sight.

For clairfication you are mentioning TOUR, all the above are referring to the SHUTTLE bus to Mendenhall, which is located at the dock, just go to the booths and purchase the ticket, usually leaves about every half hour for the 20 min shuttle. As for the tours, same pick up and booth purchase, runs about 2 hours, great option for a first time visitor. about $20 MGT and Frontier are the companies.

I am cruising to Alaska next year and am not planning to 'take in' the Medenhall Galcier. I have seen and been on the Columbia Icefield and other glaciers in the Canadian Rockies. Will it be a shame to miss it? It it really that different from other glaciers?

I am cruising to Alaska next year and am not planning to 'take in' the Medenhall Galcier. I have seen and been on the Columbia Icefield and other glaciers in the Canadian Rockies. Will it be a shame to miss it? It it really that different from other glaciers?

I'll assume you have other priority touring??? :) Certainly can be skipped, you also have a glacier sailing day on your ship. Go with what is your touring priority, plenty of excellent tours.

After the Columbia Icefield the Mendenhall is pretty tame ;)

Just to clarify one point. Depending on which ship you're on, and where it docks, the shuttle bus may not be right there as you exit your ship. When we were there on the Sapphire Princess we were docked outside of the central area, and we had an approximately 20 minute walk from the ship (there was a bus from the ship, but we chose to walk).

If I'm remembering correctly, the booths to purchase the MGT and other company tickets is right near the Mt. Roberts Tram.

Where do you catch the tours to Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center at the pier? How often do they run and how much? Is it worth doing it on your own and not with the ship tour?

In town, there is a $5 (ea. way) bus that takes you to the galcier. It was great & cheap & we got to stay as long as we wanted - had a great hike while we were there (3.5 miles) stunning!!!

Archived