Booking Airfare Via Carnival..your thoughts.

IMKTDQT810

Yes, we were on a cruise last week at this time (1st time in over 20 yrs on Carnival) and enjoyed it. Can't say "loved it" for a few reasons but will write my review within a few days. I am going through that withdrawal and have been day dreaming once again on a 4 day port out of 7 day cruise which has been flying to a port. I know with Carnival they book you on the flights, times etc and normally fly in the day of embarking. I have heard that they can and will (if need be) book at party of 4 on two different flights. Is that true? I am looking for some first hand experiences and did you think the price was cheaper then booking the flights yourself? Just wondering...and passing the time until I can cruise again!!

Read the Sticky on the top of the Cruise Air board.

I've only read a few occassions where cruiseline air was a good option--For some out of Canada, One-way to Europe.

Most would say get to your cruiseport the day ahead. Too many travel stories about delayed/cancelled flights.

I think it all depends on what you think is important.

I like control over which flight I take in terms of timing/connections etc. If I am flying a long distance to the port then I want to be there the day before the cruise.

If it is a short hop I may fly in on the same day.

You'd have to give specifics of which port and your own location to see if the Carnival flight price is significantly cheaper than doing it on your own.

We let Carnival book our air a few years ago for an Alaskan cruise. We were a family of 6 and did get to fly together. The flight time was miserable with tight connections. Everything worked out fine but I would never do it again. I was stressed the entire time. It is always best to fly in the day before the cruise. I like to fly in 2 days early for a winter cruise. I don't like to start my vacation stressed out.

After 23 cruises with carnival we booked our first flight with them for our cruise leaving next weekend. What a mistake. They booked us on a very late flight arriving with in an hour of the ship leaving. So if the flight has any delays or we can't get our luggage right away we will miss the ship. I am very disappointed in the service they provided us this time. But lesson learned, we will not be doing it again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have used their air service for my last two cruises and have been very pleased. The flight times were not rushed, connections were easy, and they managed to get me fares that were cheaper than anything I could find myself. I was able to use my frequent flier accounts and gain the miles. The people I traveled with were all able to book seats together (there were four of us on the first one and six on the second). If I can find a flight cheaper elsewhere I will book it, but if not I would not hesitate to use Carnival's Fly Aweigh again.

Yes, we were on a cruise last week at this time (1st time in over 20 yrs on Carnival) and enjoyed it. Can't say "loved it" for a few reasons but will write my review within a few days. I am going through that withdrawal and have been day dreaming once again on a 4 day port out of 7 day cruise which has been flying to a port. I know with Carnival they book you on the flights, times etc and normally fly in the day of embarking. I have heard that they can and will (if need be) book at party of 4 on two different flights. Is that true? I am looking for some first hand experiences and did you think the price was cheaper then booking the flights yourself? Just wondering...and passing the time until I can cruise again!!

While it may be convenient to have your flights and cruise all booked together by the cruise line, it's really not the best idea. By booking the flights yourself, you have control on how much you spend on airfare, and you can choose the flight times that work out best for you. By the way, I've discovered that travel web sites like Expedia or Travelocity don't always post all available flight times with the airlines. I've also found that booking directly with the airline is usually less than the prices posted on most of the travel sites.

We used the flyaweigh last year to europe. There are three of us and we all were on the same flights with good prices. They did mess up our precruise hotel room n barcelona and my daughters flight. They had my daughter who is a minor on her own flight and when they corrected the error our room got deleted also. It took two weeks and they never could get us another room so we just flew in the same day.. No problems and good airlines. ON the way home also only one connection with no problems. We did learn to go to the airport earlier in venice.that place was a zoo on sundays! I would do it again if it was out of the country.

When we did our Norwegian cruise around Hawaii we let them book our airfare. The prices could NOT be beat. It was a direct flight from Salt Lake to Honolulu the day of the cruise. No lost luggage, no missed connections and no mechanical issues. It was a great 10 day cruise with airfare for around $1100 per person.

We bought Carnival air during Spring Break for a cruise out of Miami one year. They flew us into FLL the day before and paid for a hotel room for one night (we live in Iowa) and shuttled us to Miami the next morning. No problems.

Edited by tinlizzy

We bought Carnival air during Spring Break for a cruise out of Miami one year. They flew us into FLL the day before and paid for a hotel room for one night (we live in Iowa) and shuttled us to Miami the next morning. No problems.

Really, I have never herd of Carnival paying for a hotel and shuttle pre cruise even if you book the flight with them. If they did that is great!!!!!.

I've been on 32 cruises with CCL and I used Carnival for the air once that was enough!!!!!

Gary

Edited by Shipbound

We booked it initially for our PC cruise this August and then I went a bit mental with worry as we wouldnt hear about our flights until 70 days prior. The rep said it was likely we would get hotel and shuttle included as it was transatlantic flight.

The price was excellent although we could get cheaper on the usual booking websites.

In then end I cancelled last week and paid a tiny bit more per person but if I had cancelled earlier I would have got cheaper air fare.

Another word of warning, if you are FTTF fan you cannot book it/buy it until your flights are confirmed with Carnival. We were frustrated with this this but after all of the above decided we didnt want it after all when we could get it.

You are at their mercy basically. We booked a full package to Alaska. Was supposed to fly to Seattle a day before the sailing to get touring of Seattle, a hotel one night and be bussed to Vancouver the day of sailing. We got to (just to) Seattle at 8 p.m.:mad: From there it's luggage etc. , so much for a sightseeing day.

yes, we were on a cruise last week at this time (1st time in over 20 yrs on carnival) and enjoyed it. Can't say "loved it" for a few reasons but will write my review within a few days. I am going through that withdrawal and have been day dreaming once again on a 4 day port out of 7 day cruise which has been flying to a port. I know with carnival they book you on the flights, times etc and normally fly in the day of embarking. I have heard that they can and will (if need be) book at party of 4 on two different flights. Is that true? I am looking for some first hand experiences and did you think the price was cheaper then booking the flights yourself? Just wondering...and passing the time until i can cruise again!!

hi on our european cruises--we always had carnival book the flights----and it was wonderful --at the end of destination--say---england----carnival people were at the airport--helped with luggage--and sent you on your way to the ship -via the bus---we also tried here in the usa----and flights were all fine and on time and their people were there to greet you----price-wise dont think much difference---but who cares---you get their on time--irene and john---61 cruises with carnival--

Really, I have never herd of Carnival paying for a hotel and shuttle pre cruise even if you book the flight with them. If they did that is great!!!!!.

I've been on 32 cruises with CCL and I used Carnival for the air once that was enough!!!!!

Gary

The Carnival rep said that if you live west of the Mississippi that they fly people in the day before usually. I assume she was talking about people who live in podunk like us. She said that if they fly you in a day early then they comp the hotel. I assumed they provided transportation to the port only because they flew us to FLL. We paid for our own cab to MIA for the return flight.

We always have at least one connection and would never make it to the port the same day.