Breakaway to Bermuda

Babygirl08

Looking for thoughts...

Have previously cruised 15 times and are now considering Breakaway to Bermuda. Our concern is sailing to a port...staying there...sailing home. That's a very different trip than hitting a few ports and we're not sure it will still feel like a cruise, maybe more like a beach vacation.

Anyone do this trip with the same reservation and then either get pleasantly surprised or completely disapointed?

Would love to hear your experiences/thoughts.

I personally enjoyed the "one port" itinerary. It was only our third cruise, but our first two were pretty port intensive. It was nice to be able to come and go, and plan our own excursions, with no worries about missing the ship, if we were gone too long. I recommend it!

i am going on the breakaway on sunday and this is my first cruise with a one port itinerary. I found it was easier planning my day/tours/things to do since i can spread it out over 3 days and not in x amount of hours like other cruises that hit a port each day.

We did this itinerary a couple of weeks ago...our 1st time to Bermuda and on the Breakaway. We didn't know what to expect since we do enjoy hitting different ports and visiting the various islands. However, it was great that we could get on and off the ship whenever we wanted. Bermuda is just beautiful! After the cruise, I think I prefer being docked in one port :rolleyes:! It felt more relaxing and we're able to explore much more of the island. Not having to rush to get back to ship every night was very different, but in a good way. Would definitely recommend and we'll definitely do this itinerary again!

I shared the same concern the first time I went to Bermuda via ship. Like you, I enjoyed the "floating hotel/wake up in a different country" aspect of cruising.

I'm about to embark on my 3rd Bermuda cruise!

I find cruising to Bermuda to be very relaxing. You've got 3 full sea days, and then 3 days in port- and those first 2 days in port you don't have the rush to get back to the ship before sailaway.

I love it, and I highly recommend Bermuda to friends/family/clients who are first time cruisers- because you get the best of a land and sea vacation out of the experience.

We have done about 20 plus cruises. Last June we did Breakaway. Breakaway was the first cruise that we have ever taken that was a single port itinerary. Wasn't sure I would like it. I loved it. I found that I was more willing to do non-ship sponsored excursions when I didn't have to worry about being back on the ship. So, for example, we rented a boat for a full day. We went to a tea in St Georges that didnt start til 3PM because we knew we didnt have to be back at any special time. We played golf with an after 2PM tee time (much cheaper). We liked it so much that we did it again at the end of September. And I am going to try to do it again in spring 2015.

Terry

Looking for thoughts...

Have previously cruised 15 times and are now considering Breakaway to Bermuda. Our concern is sailing to a port...staying there...sailing home. That's a very different trip than hitting a few ports and we're not sure it will still feel like a cruise, maybe more like a beach vacation.

Anyone do this trip with the same reservation and then either get pleasantly surprised or completely disapointed?

You will end up loving it! As others have mentioned Bermuda is a beautiful island and there is so much to do. It is very different than the islands in the Caribbean. Yes there are nice beaches but so much more. I think you will find that 3 days actually isn't enough to take it all in. Seeing it on a cruise is also a very cost effective way to go. If you were to fly there and stay in a hotel it is very expensive! ;)

Looking for thoughts...

Everybody has their own idea of a great vacation.

Was on the Breakaway to Bermuda a few weeks ago. Enjoyed the ship and the Island! This was my 3rd time to Bermuda.

A few people got to extend their time in Bermuda even more since they missed the ship. I guess that can tell you that for a small island you have plenty to do and see over 3 days!

Breakaway to Bermuda in September will be our 22nd cruise and our 4th time to Bermuda. The first time was on the Norwegian Dawn in Oct 2008, and we loved it so much we brought the kids with us in May of 2009. Our last visit was May of 2012 and now September of 2014. I could easily take a cruise to Bermuda every other year and never get bored. It is so much more than a typical Caribbean island. It is clean, fairly rich and has the friendliest people I have ever seen. There are three main areas of Bermuda so if you want to feel like you are visiting different islands each day (which you actually are) visit city of Hamilton one day, St George another and the Dockyard the 3rd. :)

We were also very nervous to go to only one island...but, we loved it!! Bermuda is a fantastic island with the friendliest people ever. Bus and ferry system makes it super easy to get around, and you can not get lost...pink bus stops/poles one way, and blue the other way---easy peasy. So very much to do and see, we can't wait to go back. If you go you must go to the glass beach-absolutely amazing, and only two bus stops away

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Looking for thoughts...

Bermuda has so much to do it's actually better to stay for multiple days. I did horseshoe bay and toured the island day 1, crystal caves and zoo day 2, shopping day 3.

I would be surprised if you did not like it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have to agree with everyone. I never even thought of going to Bermuda until about 2 months ago. We got a fabulous last minute deal on the Breakaway for the May 4th sailing. I nervously booked it only 3 weeks before sailing and I can't wait to go back! I loved the itinerary, loved Bermuda. We did our own sightseeing. I've already got a few friends/relatives talked into doing this cruise. Very different from the Caribbean islands.

We have been to Bermuda many times. Usually sail from Boston as we live about an hour away and can drive. We have sailed from New York with H A and this Sunday we will sail on the Breakaway. We never tire of Bermuda. Love being docked for the three days.

One of our most relaxing and enjoyable trips, not that we didn't love or enjoy our other cruises we just had such a non rushed relaxing time on the Breakaway and in Bermuda.

My husband still comments on how much he enjoyed it and he is the kid of guy who needs something to do all the time and we had no plans on Bermuda, just hop on the bus and got off when we wanted and really had a great time.

We aren't into sea days but found ourselves really enjoying the sea days and just relaxing

Bermuda is the only port we care to sail to! We finally went back in October of 2010 & have been going every October since. Unfortunately, this year's trip had been changed. I will keep an open mind & do the multi port thing, but having 3 full days in Bermuda is fabulous & our preference! Enjoy your cruise!! (For advice from a local that is so helpful: http://www.Bermuda-attractions.com)

Rosie

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Bermuda is just lovely. It is clean and beautiful and very relaxing. There are many lines that go there with just Bermuda as the port...but the Breakaway? We tried it and swore Never Again! We are Diamond on RCCL, and Elite on Celebrity. I can tell you, I would rather do a Carnival than the Breakaway! The food is awful...it has slow and indifferent waiters, the hot food often comes out cool and they take it back and microwave it for you! People all around us complained that their dinner took over two to three hours because of terrible service. On line reservations are not forwarded to the ship so all our entertainment bookings were for nothing. We had to start all over at the box office. We could not do it from the so-called interactive tv in the room. The verandas were the tiniest in the industry. You should go onto utube and check that out. The entertainment was poor, with the worst cruise director and staff we gave ever seen. Those 27 restaurants? Forget it! They have tiny hot dog cart...a restaurant? I think not! They sell cupcakes.. That is not a restaurant , and where they sell specialty coffee...to add insult to everyone, you must also buy a cookie to go with it...they give you nothing to accompany your coffee for free! Outrageous! All the specialty restaurants are for fee and I think people went to try to get a decent meal.you are nickel and dimed everywhere. Pay more for the Haven? Heck, just get a different ship and be treated well!

The theatre has steep stairs and three nights we witnessed women and men fall over forwards as they tried to go down to a seat. Their comedy club has few shows and they were awful. One afternoon we went to the pub for lunch. They messed up our order, slapped down the plates and we could not get a waiter for over 20 minutes. The Italian specialty restaurant was terrible, from the soft crusted soggy bread to cool soup and chewy calamari. Do yourself a favor and look into another line to Bermuda. The only big thing about the Breakaway is the number of cabins and therefore the crush of people., and if you live in the tri-state area, you don't have to fly, but other lines do this too. Also look at cruises from Bayonne, NJ to Bermuda!

Bermuda is just lovely. It is clean and beautiful and very relaxing. There are many lines that go there with just Bermuda as the port...but the Breakaway? We tried it and swore Never Again! We are Diamond on RCCL, and Elite on Celebrity. I can tell you, I would rather do a Carnival than the Breakaway! The food is awful...it has slow and indifferent waiters, the hot food often comes out cool and they take it back and microwave it for you! People all around us complained that their dinner took over two to three hours because of terrible service. On line reservations are not forwarded to the ship so all our entertainment bookings were for nothing. We had to start all over at the box office. We could not do it from the so-called interactive tv in the room. The verandas were the tiniest in the industry. You should go onto utube and check that out. The entertainment was poor, with the worst cruise director and staff we gave ever seen. Those 27 restaurants? Forget it! They have tiny hot dog cart...a restaurant? I think not! They sell cupcakes.. That is not a restaurant , and where they sell specialty coffee...to add insult to everyone, you must also buy a cookie to go with it...they give you nothing to accompany your coffee for free! Outrageous! All the specialty restaurants are for fee and I think people went to try to get a decent meal.you are nickel and dimed everywhere. Pay more for the Haven? Heck, just get a different ship and be treated well!

The theatre has steep stairs and three nights we witnessed women and men fall over forwards as they tried to go down to a seat. Their comedy club has few shows and they were awful. One afternoon we went to the pub for lunch. They messed up our order, slapped down the plates and we could not get a waiter for over 20 minutes. The Italian specialty restaurant was terrible, from the soft crusted soggy bread to cool soup and chewy calamari. Do yourself a favor and look into another line to Bermuda. The only big thing about the Breakaway is the number of cabins and therefore the crush of people., and if you live in the tri-state area, you don't have to fly, but other lines do this too. Also look at cruises from Bayonne, NJ to Bermuda!

WOW!!!... sounds like you have some issues to resolve here and some axes to grind. Or you work for a competitor. Far from an objective review and not sure you're being 100% honest. If you have a confirmed reservation for a show from an online reservation, you will have a confirmation email, and if you don't then you must have done something wrong.

I'm no expert here, but our last NCL cruise was amazing. Will be on the Breakaway in 6 weeks and will provide my opinion then. I'm a seasoned traveler with 3 million miles with American Airlines, over 1,000 Marriott nights, close to that with Starwood, and new to cruising.... so travel is nothing new to me. My (our) last cruise was relaxing and the food was good to amazing (the Coq au Vin was outstanding in Le Bistro).

I'm hoping my Breakaway cruise is nowhere near the disappointment yours was, but will post an objective review when we get back.

You'll find that everyone has different experiences - even on the same sailing. :) We were on the Breakaway to Bermuda the first week in May. We've sailed on other cruiselines and were a little worried about the negative reviews posted here. We were very pleasantly surprised.

The staff was amazing! Almost every staff member we came across spoke to us and asked us how our day was. Our room steward was very attentive. We loved the food at O'Sheehans and found the food at the buffet and other "complimentary" restaurants to be very good in most instances.

We reserved some of our shows and a couple of restaurant times before sailing. The reservations were there. We loved the touch screens all over the ship. Very easy to use. We were very impressed with Rock of Ages and Burn the Floor. The Second City was okay and the piano bar was the best we've been in. I didn't care for the magician that was onboard. Different strokes for different folks though. :) I do agree that the theater is very underwhelming in comparison to other ships.

Be sure to take people's reviews (including mine) with a grain of salt.

Thank you for such an objective review. :D It's very telling that 18 out of 19 people on this thread share the same view that Bermuda and the Breakaway are awesome.

I'm sorry to say that you mistakenly posted on one of the NCL boards instead of Royals....however your attitude is so typical of Royal Loyalists and the main reason I will never sail on any Royal ships ever again. The most snobbish and ill informed passengers in the industry. While the ships themselves are "OK" The food, the entertainment, the service, and more are definitely a step below NCL. I for one am happy to know you won't ever sail Breakaway again..leaves a space open for someone who appreciates it.

It is so interesting to read reactions to our Breakaway experience. First, I am not a "Royal Loyalist", as we travel on many of the big lines. We did more Royal and Celebrity for a good reason...we had better experiences. We love cruising, and have taken over 30. When we see a vastly different treatment for about the same price we share it. Yes, different strokes for different folks, and if you read back on CC reviews, there are many others who felt the same way. If you go on utube you can see the things I mentioned, like the tiny veranda.

I do not think that nastiness, (like claiming that if we had printed confirmations it would get us into the theatre when they had no record of it ) is helpful to those looking for honest information. We had the printout. It meant nothing. This is a fact, whether you like it or not. It was an inconvenience. It was not life changing but we were on vacation and had done our homework before hand. The staff was apologetic but we still had to start from scratch at the box office, as their ship computer did not share the online website info. The room tv did not allow us to put in the info. The soup was cool nightly. They took it to microwave. The staff was indeed indifferent on our trip. We did witness people falling forward in the theatre. I wish it were otherwise. I would have loved to have a vastly different experience.

The snarkiness here is unwarranted. If you don't have an open mind, perhaps this is the wrong forum for you?

Edited by ny cruisequeen

Thanks to all for taking the time to post your experiences. It will be very helpful. I'm not sure I have ever seen such a one-sided thread on CC!

We have sailed the Wind, the Gem, and the Jewel. All great experiences so we have no reservations going with NCL. Also have 4 RCCL, 3 Princess, and 1 Carnival under our belt so we have seen a good variety and understand there are pluses and minuses in all sailings. Still, thanks for the insights NYCruiseQueen. We have a little one who will love the characters and ship activities so we see the vacation through her eyes these days. She doesn't much worry about cold food and she will love the cupcakes!

Besides the Bermuda Breakaway itinerary, all of the other options we considered this year include flying which we are just not feeling this year.

Again, thanks and Happy Sailing to all!