Blue is past it's prime, it appears.......

cruiseerf

We had Sommeliers (who were also overworked) for wine, but not Bar Servers for drinks. The Assistant Waiters were taking drink orders on our Summit cruise May 25 - June 1.

Strange how ships differ. We tipped our Bar Server as she was lovely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only sailed Celebrity once and that was in Aqua Class. LOVED IT. In fact, when I booked our October cruise, I would only consider AQ. The service, location, atmosphere and food...we enjoyed it all. I will say that when cruising, we do keep our expectations in check. It isn't as if they can have fresh seafood and produce flown in daily.

One thing I have noticed on cruise ships is that the dishes we enjoy most are those that benefit from long, slow cooking..coq au vin, osso buco, braised veal shank, short ribs....etc. We tend to steer of dishes that rely on more precise cooking since I know how difficult it is to get it right. We tend to stay away from steaks since we live in Texas and I know we would be disappointed.

We do have the beverage package and I will follow the suggestion to get a glass of wine before being seated in the event there is a wait for wine service.

I find Blu much more conducive to meeting fellow passengers and I love the flexibility of dining with others if you want.

We also tend to ask the waiter for recommendations and find that they are, for the most part, right on the money.

Hopefully, our October experience will be as good as our first!

I expect it will as you seem to be going into with the right expectations....ie, you mention bringing a glass of wine in with you so you don't have to wait for that first glass. We always do this, by the time we've given our order the Sommelier has had time to stop by, ask what we are drinking and makes sure we have a refill when we need it and we aren't frantically trying to get their attention when we first arrive....makes for a seamless transition and a better start to the evening....:)

First cruise that we took on X was in AQ on the Solstice. We booked AQ For the so called healthier perks.

Naturally everything about X was new to us and Blu was Soemthign that we had never experienced before on a ship. We were sold.

After many cruises on X all being in AQ we sailed ont he Reflection. Blu was a disaster. It was overcrowded. More table were added to accomodate the extra passengers in AQ.

Since then we have sailed on other X ships and Blu was still Blu but it is getting to be boring. Does that mean it isn't any good to the quality is going down hill? Not really it has just lost its luster for us.

I think the same can be said for the MDR. The first few times the food is fantatic and then when you go to a alternative restuarant it doesn't seem as good because you have experienced better, but after dining in a alternative restuarant many times it also loses its luster. Plus it doesn't help with any when some of the little things that you had before are no longer offered or not given.

Changes are good and bad, after a while we get bored and want something different but we also want what we had before plus more. That is why we become a disposable society and for some hoarders.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Miched,

You are absolutely correct, and I totally agree that Blu, has lost the prestige it once had, and has become boring and repetitive, with a menu that has not changed in years, since our first sailing in Aqua on the Equinox in 2010.

We recently sailed on the Silhouette, and there was very little resemblance to the years past, and the Blu experience, as the food lacked quality, freshness, and originality.

We are now rethinking any further cruises sailing in Aqua.

Time to try some other cruise lines perhaps!

Our family of four just returned last night from a 12 night Eastern Med cruise on the Silhouette. I plan to do a more complete trip report when time permits but will offer our thoughts on the Blu experience.

While the food in Blu was not as great, consistently, as it was on our Equinox cruise in 2012, we still really enjoyed it. The service was excellent with a waiter and asst. waiter that we requested to have each night and received. The sommelier was always quick to take our wine and drink orders and was very attentive (I frequently had to wave him off adding to my glass as he came by often). The service was friendly and professional. We always ate around 7 p.m. and never had to wait for a table.

As to the food, we really enjoyed most of it and weren't bored by the selections (but we don't cruise that often). During the middle of the cruise, I had a few nights where the food was only lukewarm but that changed after a few nights. And there were a bit too many squabs, quails, and cornish game hens for my liking. But in the overall scheme of things, we still enjoyed the more intimate atmosphere and we love having breakfast there each morning.

We love the S class ships and will continue to book Aqua Class to have access to Blu.