A question about door locks.

summer slope

Yes. but they usually would not except for an emergency.

Not all who have cabin keys have one that can override the dead bolt lock but there are some keys for high officers/security which are able to open every door on the ship, as required for safety.

Yes. but they usually would not except for an emergency.

Not all who have cabin keys have one that can override the dead bolt lock but there are some keys for high officers/security which are able to open every door on the ship, as required for safety.

Well stated. Locks are designed to keep honest people honest. But you don't want the locks on your doors to be so strong that the fire department or emergency response cannot breach them in emergency. The security on HAL ships is well suited to the need and they are highly skilled at what they do. Relax and enjoy your cruise!

Another point that may give a bit more peace of mind....

Everytime the cabin door is opened, there is a reader which identifies exactly who is the listed holder of that key. If someone claims their cabin has been entered while they were out, security can determine just which key opened the door, if any actually did.

This adds another layer of security in that any crew using that key knows it is identifiable.

I tested this on my last cruise, even though it was not on purpose! I had communicating suites with my parents.....I entered my cabin and, like I always do without even thinking about it, I double locked my door. We opened the door that communicated between our suites, and I am pretty sure you can see me coming with this one....I went into my parents' suite and the door locked behind me. Of course, I had left my key card in my cabin!

I went out in the hall and found an officer. He did not have the special key you guys are talking about, he told me that only guest services have that key, but he was able to open the partition between our suites and come in through my balcony door....which I did not have time to lock or it would have been locked if I had had the time...haha...

I also travel by myself quite a lot and even though I was with my parents, we both had our cabins. I was relieved in a sense that not everybody, even ship's officers have that special key that overrides double locks.

You can sleep soundly...if you are worried because you read about the attack from a room steward, you just have to use your double lock every time you are in your cabin even if it is for a short while. They don't have that card.

I'm not nervous about strangers coming in. I just don't want to be in bed and have the fridge steward coming in before I'm ready. KWIM?

Do put the "Privacy Please" sign out -- tag that slips into the slot for ID cards.

We "no host" mini bar stewards do not come around as often as they used to. On out last cruises, they came once during the cruise and than again at the end of the cruise.

Do put the "Privacy Please" sign out -- tag that slips into the slot for ID cards.

We "no host" mini bar stewards do not come around as often as they used to. On out last cruises, they came once during the cruise and than again at the end of the cruise.

They come less often now because there are fewer of them.

There used to be more bar staff crew than what they now have.

I'm not nervous about strangers coming in. I just don't want to be in bed and have the fridge steward coming in before I'm ready. KWIM?

On disembarking day, nothing keeps those fridge stewards out. We had the do not disturb sign out and he came in anyway.

On disembarking day, nothing keeps those fridge stewards out. We had the do not disturb sign out and he came in anyway.

On one of my cruises, a couple refused to allow the stewards in the check the mini-bar fridge on the last day. They had to get ship's security to open the door. I'm not sure what happened to the couple, thankfully disembarkation was not too delayed and my color group was called before security came out of the cabin.