Are there any Budget or moderately priced river cruise lines?

jkgourmet

We are seasoned travelers, from the US, both now retired. On land trips, we typically stay in b&b or motel type accommodations. On Ocean cruises, we typically book an inside guarantee. We usually travel off season to avoid crowds and save money. We spend little time in our cabin. We rarely book ship excursions or speciality restaurants, preferring to be independent. We've pretty much had our fill of art museums, churches and statues, but nature and scenery are important. We LOVE having a meal or drink with locals while in port.

We would like to try a river cruise and have looked at AMA, Viking, Avalon and cringed at the prices. I've no doubt that the prices are justified given the luxury aspect and included excursions, wine, etc. But that's not how we travel, nor do we want to do one river cruise versus four ocean or land based holidays.

Any alternatives or suggestions?

I think that Viking has some bargain basement prices on promos when sailing in lowest category ....

On their website across the top you will find a drop down box for current promotions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Some people like Vantage.

We also took a Gate 1 river cruise.

Go for bottom price and book far in advance to get deals,like early bird.

We always book our own air fare for deals,can get cheaper hotel rooms pre and post cruise too.

Remember,once you get there.Can do what YOU want to.Can try HOHO bus,etc.

Give it a try.

The less expensive times are in March, November and December. Every so often, if a line is trying to fill a ship, you may see 2 for 1 air or Free air for two people. If you look on the various web sites, you will find that many dates for 2015 are sold out.

Thanks for the responses. And I will look at those that are recommended, particularly GCT.

Anyone know anything about this company? http://www.rivercruiseline.co.uk/

Never mind. I searched using some of the names of the ships (lady anne, for example) and remembered that I researched this river cruise line last year. NO THANKS!

If you haven't already, you should register on the respective cruise lines' web sites. You'll get a lot of worthless email, but you'll also get special offers and last minute deals. We did Viking's Tulips and Windmills this spring with free air fare after receiving an email offer.

Also you should consider working with a travel agent who is familiar with river cruising.

Unfortunately, with ships that hold 130 to 190 people, you don't get the economies of scale that you get with the big ocean-going ships.

FuelScience

Some people like Vantage.

We also took a Gate 1 river cruise.

Go for bottom price and book far in advance to get deals,like early bird.

We always book our own air fare for deals,can get cheaper hotel rooms pre and post cruise too.

Remember,once you get there.Can do what YOU want to.Can try HOHO bus,etc.

Give it a try.

I have extensively researched river cruise lines and compared prices.

Gate 1 probably is the real budget line. I know cruisers that enjoyed their Gate 1 cruises and their prices run as low as 60-70% of the main lines.

Gate 1 is a no frills line, so you won't get as many excursions or five star hotels, but it might work for you.

DW and I have had two fabulous trips with river cruises with Vantage.

We did Russia and China. These were two of our best trips ever.

We stayed in first rate five star hotel. Compared to Viking and others, in Russia, we were in those hotels when others were staying on the river boat all the time and had to endure long commutes into the cities.

Compare Vantage with others, it always beats Viking, at least when I check the prices.

Here are my reviews.

Russia, Kiev and Baltics

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1478384

China

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1718320

You will get the lowest prices and best availability with Grand Circle in the first or last couple of cruises for that itinerary of the year. We have taken true half price (not like Vikings) trips that included air fare, based on New York departures. You can get them from any city, but you have to pay the full difference in fare between New York and your departure city. For South American trips. the advertised departure city would be Miami. We have taken 15 trips with them, 7 of them cruises. You have to check their web site daily, as their may only be a couple of cabins left to fill. Their web site is http://www.gct.com, and they don't sell through TAs.

Edited by beverlyjack

You will get the lowest prices and best availability with Grand Circle in the first or last couple of cruises for that itinerary of the year. We have taken true half price (not like Vikings) trips that included air fare, based on New York departures. You can get them from any city, but you have to pay the full difference in fare between New York and your departure city. For South American trips. the advertised departure city would be Miami. We have taken 15 trips with them, 7 of them cruises. You have to check their web site daily, as their may only be a couple of cabins left to fill. Their web site is http://www.gct.com, and they don't sell through TAs.

I realize it is a matter of opinion and for many, the lower price is the most important thing about booking a cruise, but I would suggest that the OP look at the configuration of the cabins on GTC ships. To me they look like they have bunk beds and/or day couches that make into bunk beds. Just saying.:rolleyes:

Cole

Cole,

I agree that the the GCT cabins are, for the most part, on the spartan side, but very little non-sleeping time is spent in the cabin. Most of it is spent ashore or in the common spaces on the ship, the dining room, lounge and sun deck. They have outstanding guides and seem to have more shore time than most other cruise lines. They are Conde Nast's top rated river cruise line and they don't advertise in the magazine or do any mass media advertising. If you get a referral from a current GCT customer, you will get an additional $100 per person discount on your first trip. This is fairly common among cruise lines. They also have the most liberal singles policy in the business.

I realize it is a matter of opinion and for many, the lower price is the most important thing about booking a cruise, but I would suggest that the OP look at the configuration of the cabins on GTC ships. To me they look like they have bunk beds and/or day couches that make into bunk beds. Just saying.:rolleyes:

Cole

When you use the phrase bunk beds, I picture one bed over the other. That is NOT the situation on GCT's ships in Europe, nor are they couches that are made into beds.

Their beds fold down from the wall and go over the existing couch. The downside is that you cannot sit on the couch when the beds are lowered (but you can certainly sit on the bed!). The beds are easy to raise and lower, if you want to nap during the day.

The cabins may be Spartan compared to other lines, but they're very well designed for comfort. We prefer to be out and about when aboard the ship, so cabin size isn't an issue. Plus the cost difference (compared to other lines) let's us cruise more often.

Vantage is another line that is "reasonably" priced. Their ships in Europe are new and the beds are not 'murphy' beds (pulldowns). They also do not work with TA's but instead online or by phone. We have traveled over 10 times with this company and stayed at 5 star hotels and had excellent service. Worth checking out. And again, like GCT, if you get a referral from someone who has previously traveled with them, you will get a discount as will the one referring.

Cole,

I agree that the the GCT cabins are, for the most part, on the spartan side, but very little non-sleeping time is spent in the cabin. Most of it is spent ashore or in the common spaces on the ship, the dining room, lounge and sun deck. They have outstanding guides and seem to have more shore time than most other cruise lines. They are Conde Nast's top rated river cruise line and they don't advertise in the magazine or do any mass media advertising. If you get a referral from a current GCT customer, you will get an additional $100 per person discount on your first trip. This is fairly common among cruise lines. They also have the most liberal singles policy in the business.

I agree 100%! We have been on 3 GCT European trips after researching several different companies. They are not as luxurious as others, but clean and comfortable...AND you are still treated like you are very special! The program directors are top notch. You absolutely get your money's worth.

I have been recently looking at the last minute deals...Old World Prague and the Blue Danube...13 days...$2,895 including round trip air from JFK. Hope I can find that (or close) in the fall...(we have only been back from Italy for 3 weeks :))