Costa Rica and Room Service

bunny100

Two separate questions. One of our ports will be Costa Rica, we do not want to do any of the excursions so will the ship be in a port where we can just walk off the ship and walk around the town?

If you call room service, besides a cheese platter, will they deliver a bottle of wine or do we have to ask the Concierge for a bottle of wine (we will be in a Neptune Suite).

As to Costa Rica, yes you can just walk around. Some research on the Costa Rica board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=198

would be very helpful. Not sure what port in Costa Rica you are referring to- not all are in locations you might want to walk around.

As to the wine, probably the most efficient way would be to arrange it in the Neptune Lounge, using the Concierges. The room service staff are not bar waiters, and can't deliver it.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Since you are in a Neptune Suite, by all means use the concierge - but for the benefit of others that may read this thread - you can order a bottle of wine and other alcohol. I do believe it is room service - but the number is right there under the listing of the various alcohols. There is no problem to order a bottle of wine.:D

We were in Puerto Limon during our Panama Canal cruise last year. We did an excursion from there and were driven through the town. I can say that I didn't see anything that enticed me to walk around in the town. We usually always do that in a port, but not there...but to each their own.

I remember that stop. We got off and there were lots and lots of booths set up right on the pier in a big tent. They were selling wood carvings, coffee at good prices, trinket jewelry and embroidered linens, and even ladies doing quickie manicures for $3. We walked into town and though it was a little seedy, we did not feel afraid. But there was nothing there - no nice little cafes to sit and have a beer, not even a nice church or museum to explore.

And it was VERY hot and humid.

So my advice is to take a tour into the rain forest and see some monkeys - or stay on the ship and lounge by the pool. Then take one hour and explore the little booths on the pier.