Navigator of the Seas ~ Tell me something - Good or Bad

Just off Navigator today. The ship is gorgeous after the renovations. However, with the addition of MANY cabins (and many passengers), it seems overcrowded. The pool deck was unbearable on sea days. Galveston is not the most convenient port (unless you are a local). And as others have mentioned, we disliked the Country & Western theme (or Hee-Haw effect). It was ridiculous to pass by Bolero's (a Latin-themed bar) and have Country music playing. So, it was not our favorite cruise. For others, it might be fine. But, we do love Navigator...we just won't choose Galveston again.

Peter

Thanks for the info.....as you can see from my posts, I'm from New Mexico so the Hee Haw won't be a problem at all.

Different people have different opinions.

We sailed the Navigator this past week also. First time for DH and I to sail so later in the spring.

Will say there were many more kids aboard, but overall didn't bother us.

Nor did we notice the increase in guests.

We actually made some comments on the last two sea days how "uncrowded" the pool area was compared to the transatlantics we normally take.

We never had a problem finding a chair and, though lots of kids in pool, still not a problem.

Never waited in line, with the exception of breakfast on deck 3 when arriving in Grand Cayman.

As far as music, different music played at different times. Never thought music would keep one from sailing:rolleyes:

A great place for sailAway is at the Helipad on deck 5. To access use deck 4 outside and walk up stairs.

We really aren't sun worshiper, but do like to take a quick dip in the pool to cool off.

Did you find the Helipad crowed? We are trying to decide whether to celebrate the sail away on our balcony, pool deck,or helipad

OceanDreams

What is the theme or ambiance of the R Bar? Do they have a special drinks menu there?

Also - seems like I saw somewhere that on the Roatan itinerary the first formal night was Tuesday. Can anyone verify this? Thanks - is it November yet???? :D

I did a photo review of the first cruise after dry dock which is linked in my signature below.

However if you would like to look at just the photos of the ship the link to my photobucket album of Navigator is:

http://s1338.photobucket.com/user/Ace1Zoe/library/Navigator%20of%20the%20Seas%202014

The ship is beautiful and you will have a great time!

Is the silent disco the only nightclub option?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not at all. There is Nightclub Dancing every night in the Cosmopolitan Club. The "Silent" one is only on one night, and then only from 10:30 pm til midnight. One night there will be a 70's theme and another will have an 80's theme.

If anyone is interested I have posted a link below that will take you to my public FLICKR account where I have posted the Cruise Compasses from our May 11th sailing on Navigator (Coz/GC/Jam itinerary).

Yes, since the ship sails out of Texas and a majority of the guests on board are from Texas, there is a lot of Texas influence...the "YeeHaw factor." There is a country band that plays in several venues throughout the ship, but there is also a fairly decent Latin influence trio that plays throughout the ship and almost every night (after 9pm) in Bolero's. The piano player in the Schooner Bar I could take or leave. Since they took out the dance club that used to be on deck 4&5, nightly dancing takes place in the Cosmopolitan Club, Deck 14.

I found that at sail away, the Helipad and Deck 12 was a great place to be. I actually prefer Deck 12 since the Sky Bar is located there...

Pete

Do y'all recommend self-carry disembarking or traditional?

Self carry, go down Monday and pick up tickets and get in the first group. We did and were off the ship and in our car by 7:30, that includes immigration and sitting on the shuttle back to Ez Cruise for 10 minutes. You take the elevator down to deck 4 at 6:30, then roll your bags right off the ship, no stairs.

Everyone has been so helpful with your comments. Please keep them coming.

ACE1ZOE2 & OKC CRUISERS ..... thanks for the links to your photo's & Cruise Compass's. Very impressive. When ships get modified and refurbished it's always confusing as to what was added and what was changed.

Hopefully more comments will be added.

OceanDreams

We were on the 5/25 Navigator as well which was our first RCCL cruise. We have cruised 3 times on Carnival and once on Disney. DH is 45, DW 42, DS 12 and DD 15. We were very impressed with the boat itself and the difference in people vs. Carnival (a lot of partiers). The comedian (the Heath show) was OUTSTANDING. What we didn't like was the food in the main dining room. Terrible in our opinion, I know that's subjective. The food in Sabor is awesome, not to be missed! Have fun!!

Do y'all recommend self-carry disembarking or traditional?

As long as your luggage is manageable, do the self disembarking. (Had a couple on one cruise who did the self disembark and had 8 pieces of luggage total. They kept having to stop and rearrange!) As said, it is fairly quick all things considered. On our last cruise, we were off the ship and in our car at Lighthouse Parking by 8 am. We were in "Group C." Get your tickets for this at Guest Services (Deck 5) within the first couple days of your cruise.

Pete

Edited by OKC Cruisers

Another Tip: If you like Sushi...head to Izumi Asian restaurant on Deck 14 for lunch. It is not crowded and you can get the items on the menu a la carte, and it is quite good.

Also, the hot tub located just inside the spa is for use by all guests and doesn't cost extra.

I'm sure I'll think of more...:D

Pete

What is the theme or ambiance of the R Bar? Do they have a special drinks menu there?

Also - seems like I saw somewhere that on the Roatan itinerary the first formal night was Tuesday. Can anyone verify this? Thanks - is it November yet???? :D

I was on the May 18th sailing, and our formal nights were Tuesday and Friday.

OKC - do you know/remember what the menu order in the MDR was for your sailing?

And thank you for posting the cruise compasses! That was the first sailing this year with the reversed itinerary :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did a photo review of the first cruise after dry dock which is linked in my signature below.

However if you would like to look at just the photos of the ship the link to my photobucket album of Navigator is:

http://s1338.photobucket.com/user/Ace1Zoe/library/Navigator%20of%20the%20Seas%202014

The ship is beautiful and you will have a great time!

ALSO....OKC Cruisers -- Is there a charge for the Sushi, if so do you remember the price?

OceanDreams

Edited by OceanDreams

Love the Navigator of the Seas ! Cruise on her prior to post refurbishment and enjoyed it both times. Personally the current CD did not impress me but the Activities Manage Tom DeCell if terrific and more than makes up for the lack luster CD. Can't even remember the CD's name.

Yes, there is a charge for sushi at Izumi. Menu below, starting at post #69:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2045766&page=4

Hmmm. I seem to remember that the lunch menu was not this big. Be that as it may, the total cost for my wife and I was $18 and change, for 2 different types of rolls (seaweed and rice) and a bowl of soup for me. It was all quite delicious!

We did not get a chance to eat in Sabor, which was open for lunch as well on our May cruise (it was dinner only on our February cruise). As to the menu in the MDR...really couldn't say, we only ate in there one night! :eek: For us and the friends we cruise with, after so many cruises we have become very laid back. We spend more time just hanging out here and there (here being Bolero's and there being Sky Bar) and always seem to just run and grab a quick bite in Windjammer or Café Promenade...we no longer want to sit for 90 minutes to 2 hours in the dining room. C'est la vie!

On our last cruise, we even did our own "Navigator of the Seas Bar Hop." We had t-shirts made and, over the course of the sea days, had at least one drink at every bar on the ship!

Pete

Hmmm. I seem to remember that the lunch menu was not this big. Be that as it may, the total cost for my wife and I was $18 and change, for 2 different types of rolls (seaweed and rice) and a bowl of soup for me. It was all quite delicious!...

You're correct, the lunch menu is different than what I had referenced above, and much smaller. I can't remember many hot items for lunch, such as temura, hot rock, sukiyaki. I do remember miso soup for lunch.

Yes, there is a charge for sushi at Izumi. Menu below, starting at post #69:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2045766&page=4

Hmmm. I seem to remember that the lunch menu was not this big. Be that as it may, the total cost for my wife and I was $18 and change, for 2 different types of rolls (seaweed and rice) and a bowl of soup for me. It was all quite delicious!

We did not get a chance to eat in Sabor, which was open for lunch as well on our May cruise (it was dinner only on our February cruise). As to the menu in the MDR...really couldn't say, we only ate in there one night! :eek: For us and the friends we cruise with, after so many cruises we have become very laid back. We spend more time just hanging out here and there (here being Bolero's and there being Sky Bar) and always seem to just run and grab a quick bite in Windjammer or Café Promenade...we no longer want to sit for 90 minutes to 2 hours in the dining room. C'est la vie!

On our last cruise, we even did our own "Navigator of the Seas Bar Hop." We had t-shirts made and, over the course of the sea days, had at least one drink at every bar on the ship!

Pete

Thanks for the link and the info. Now I'm hungry for sushi.

OceanDreams

Edited by OceanDreams

Thanks for the info.....as you can see from my posts, I'm from New Mexico so the Hee Haw won't be a problem at all.

We really aren't sun worshiper, but do like to take a quick dip in the pool to cool off.

Did you find the Helipad crowed? We are trying to decide whether to celebrate the sail away on our balcony, pool deck,or helipad

OceanDreams

The helipad was PACKED last week for sailaway. It seemed like everyone went directly there from the muster drill. We left and went to the hump on deck 4 outside the Main Dining Room, where we got a much better view (including a pod of 6-8 dolphins that were searching for fish in churned up water between the ship and the dock).