Hotel & shuttle options for Ft. Lauderdale Airport and MIAMI cruise port?

b101899

We are going on a cruise out of Miami on June 22-29 on the Carnival Conquest. We are flying in via Southwest Airlines the night before into Ft. Lauderdale (it was much cheaper). We are obviously going to have to get a hotel, but since our cruise goes out of Miami, what do you recommend?

1) Where in the area should we get the hotel?

2) Are there any hotels that offer shuttles from FLL and the Port of Miami? (I know, I know... most likely not.)

3) If not, what are the cheapest transportation options we can do? (There are six of us, by the way.)

We also have to do this on the way back.

Any help appreciated! Thanks!!

If you are arriving early in the day, I'd head right to Miami from FTL. THere are shuttles that will do that trip. In June hotel rates will be reasonable and you could stay downtown Miami to spend the day and be minutes from the port in the morning. (You are close enough to see the ships from the hotels downtown. ) If arriving too late to enjoy the afternoon, then I'd stay in FtL and transport in the morning.

Browse down the board and you will find shuttles services and hotel recs for starters. That's after you decide if you will head straight to Miami on arrival at FTL.

Edited by eandj

We are going on a cruise out of Miami on June 22-29 on the Carnival Conquest. We are flying in via Southwest Airlines the night before into Ft. Lauderdale (it was much cheaper). We are obviously going to have to get a hotel, but since our cruise goes out of Miami, what do you recommend?

1) Where in the area should we get the hotel?

2) Are there any hotels that offer shuttles from FLL and the Port of Miami? (I know, I know... most likely not.)

3) If not, what are the cheapest transportation options we can do? (There are six of us, by the way.)

Hi, there is a Homewood Suites on Griffin Road in Ft. Lauderdale

that has a package that actually offers a shuttle to the Port of

Miami. Only one way......so you will have to get yourself back

to the FLL airport post cruise.

Or....you could book a Miami hotel and get a 1) car service

2) shuttle service 3) a cab and have one of them take you down

to your Miami hotel.

You will eventually have to get down there so just depends on

how you want to do it.

Edited by Lois R

1) Where in the area should we get the hotel? Stay near FLL - http://www.sunny.org has lots of tourist and lodging info; hotels in the FLL area are generally cheaper than comparable hotels in the Miami or Miami Beach area

2) Are there any hotels that offer shuttles from FLL and the Port of Miami? (I know, I know... most likely not.) You are better off arranging your own transport - shared shuttle services are available for about $15 per person; with 6 traveling together you may get a small discount.

3) If not, what are the cheapest transportation options we can do? (There are six of us, by the way.) Besides shared shuttles you could look at two rental cars (6 plus bags will not likely fit into a mini-van, and 2 rental cars are likely cheaper than the van); Alamo, National, and Thrifty offer free shuttles to/from POM from their MIA airport location.

Forget the car rental option for the trip back unless you have a late afternoon or evening flight home.

Check with SAS (http://www.ridesas.com), QLS, Go Airport Shuttle, and others for shuttle service from the FLL area to POM -- the trip takes about 45 minutes.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!! I think we decided to stick with a hotel near FLL and take a shuttle van..

Good choice !! Check the hotel and see if they offer free shuttle from FLL to the hotel.

We used Red Carpet Inn and they offered the shuttle. Rates are low, and the place is clean -- Not fancy but it suited us. Also, if you use SAS shuttle to Port of Miami, they pick up at Red Carpet.

Edited by swedish weave

• 4 weeks later...
Forget the car rental option for the trip back unless you have a late afternoon or evening flight home.

Check with SAS (http://www.ridesas.com), QLS, Go Airport Shuttle, and others for shuttle service from the FLL area to POM -- the trip takes about 45 minutes.

This sounds like a nice price for FLL to POM

What does QLS charge for a trip for 2 from FLL to POM?

Cheers

Len

Typical fares for QLS, SAS, and others start at about $15 per person each way. Check to see if they pick up at your hotel, saving you a trip back to FLL. :cool:

We have same issues for February Miami Cruise on Celebrity Reflection. Celebrity offers transfer back to FLL from Cruise Port @ 30pp. Check your individual Cruise Company for similar.

The Hyatt House in Diana has a free airport shuttle from FLL and a small fee shuttle to POM according to the call made a couple of months ago. It is a little more upscale, but has some great summer prices.

Do you remember how much the "small fee shuttle to POM" was? Is it less than $15 pp charged by the shared ride shuttles?