Trivia, Beverage Line Ups and other Minor Annoyances from Zuidy

HatRez

We just came back from our Inside Passage cruise on Zuidy. The ports, views, cabin location, food, service, staff etc. were wonderful as always. Third time on the Zuiderdam and it was everything we've come to appreciate and expect with HAL. The upgrade for the hydropool and thermal suite was worth the $$$...total relaxation. The Zuidy in general desperately needs upgrading but ship condition doesn't affect my general enjoyment levels.

Here are some minor annoyances I encountered along the way that maybe others have noticed, too? I put them in my opinion survey to HAL, too.

* Trivia and game show questions are IDENTICAL to two years ago. Does it make sense that team trivia would be the same season after season? What colour is a polar bear's skin? Who was the first actor to be paid $1 million for a movie? What is the only muscle attached at one end? Same with the marriage game show. My DH and I participated two years ago and it was word for word the same questions. A lot of the activities felt repetitive.

* Of course I see the value in the hygiene procedures during the first 48 hours of cruising. But when there is only one beverage station for 2000 cruisers and only one attendant manning the station, my DH and I ended up waiting in long line ups for a lemonade or iced tea. One day I waited 12 minutes. Surely things would run smoother if there was two on a station; one for hot drinks that require multiple steps, and another person to hand over the cold drinks that are pre-poured.

* Sea days seemed to be almost devoid of activities. Where did the cooking classes go? Pool activities? Game shows? It wasn't until after dinner when things started. Other than that it was spa seminars on metabolism, shopping talks and jewelry sales. I found myself wandering the ship quite often looking for something to do.

* That being said, the few things there were to do during the day were packed. The screening room was standing room only for movies. The Crow's Nest was crowded and no room to help with a puzzle or space to work on a table-top crossword. The galley tour was a three-minute walk past stainless steel counters. Not too exciting. haha

Anyone else notice similar things on other ships?

The entertainment on the Zuiderdam sucks. They were doing the same game show, the same song & dance numbers, the same magician, and juggler doing the exact same routines I'd seen 3 years earlier. The comedian was new to me though. I even recognized one dancer I'd seen from the last time but the rest of the singers/dancers were different. Just doing the same old tired routine that has been done for years.

The line ups for the beverages are the same for the first 2 days on other HAL ships but sometimes I've seen 2 staff members pouring coffee and iced tea and water. You forgot to mention the long line ups for the dessert station on the Zuiderdam. The last time I was on some man comes up and orders 12 bowls of ice cream so that took the server awhile to get them and the line up got even bigger. I mean talk about a pig. As the server got a couple of bowls ready the pig hustled them off to a nearby table and kept coming back for them as they were dished out. It would have been more considerate if he'd just ordered a coupler bowls at a time, consumed them, and went back for more.

We just came back from our Inside Passage cruise on Zuidy. The ports, views, cabin location, food, service, staff etc. were wonderful as always. Third time on the Zuiderdam and it was everything we've come to appreciate and expect with HAL. The upgrade for the hydropool and thermal suite was worth the $$$...total relaxation. The Zuidy in general desperately needs upgrading but ship condition doesn't affect my general enjoyment levels.

Here are some minor annoyances I encountered along the way that maybe others have noticed, too? I put them in my opinion survey to HAL, too.

* Trivia and game show questions are IDENTICAL to two years ago. Does it make sense that team trivia would be the same season after season? What colour is a polar bear's skin? Who was the first actor to be paid $1 million for a movie? What is the only muscle attached at one end? Same with the marriage game show. My DH and I participated two years ago and it was word for word the same questions. A lot of the activities felt repetitive.

* Of course I see the value in the hygiene procedures during the first 48 hours of cruising. But when there is only one beverage station for 2000 cruisers and only one attendant manning the station, my DH and I ended up waiting in long line ups for a lemonade or iced tea. One day I waited 12 minutes. Surely things would run smoother if there was two on a station; one for hot drinks that require multiple steps, and another person to hand over the cold drinks that are pre-poured.

* Sea days seemed to be almost devoid of activities. Where did the cooking classes go? Pool activities? Game shows? It wasn't until after dinner when things started. Other than that it was spa seminars on metabolism, shopping talks and jewelry sales. I found myself wandering the ship quite often looking for something to do.

* That being said, the few things there were to do during the day were packed. The screening room was standing room only for movies. The Crow's Nest was crowded and no room to help with a puzzle or space to work on a table-top crossword. The galley tour was a three-minute walk past stainless steel counters. Not too exciting. haha

Anyone else notice similar things on other ships?

I made the same observation re the Marriage Game show and Trivia. We were on the Zuiderdam two years ago as well and the questions were the same as when we were cruising last month.

It is just as well that we are self entertaining because there really wasn't a lot to do during the day.

The entertainment on the Zuiderdam sucks. They were doing the same game show, the same song & dance numbers, the same magician, and juggler doing the exact same routines I'd seen 3 years earlier. The comedian was new to me though. I even recognized one dancer I'd seen from the last time but the rest of the singers/dancers were different. Just doing the same old tired routine that has been done for years.

The line ups for the beverages are the same for the first 2 days on other HAL ships but sometimes I've seen 2 staff members pouring coffee and iced tea and water. You forgot to mention the long line ups for the dessert station on the Zuiderdam. The last time I was on some man comes up and orders 12 bowls of ice cream so that took the server awhile to get them and the line up got even bigger. I mean talk about a pig. As the server got a couple of bowls ready the pig hustled them off to a nearby table and kept coming back for them as they were dished out. It would have been more considerate if he'd just ordered a coupler bowls at a time, consumed them, and went back for more.

Are you saying he ate all 12 bowls himself? If he was getting them for others, then it sounds like he was trying to keep the process going as quickly as possible.

I made the same observation re the Marriage Game show and Trivia. We were on the Zuiderdam two years ago as well and the questions were the same as when we were cruising last month.

It is just as well that we are self entertaining because there really wasn't a lot to do during the day.

Interested to know if the CD was the same on each voyage?

Interested to know if the CD was the same on each voyage?

No it was not the same CD. While I don't remember who the CD was two years ago it certainly was not the one we had this time. This time we had Hamish and if you ever encounter him you will never forget him. Although he did a good job he was a bit over the top and ended every announcement with an annoying "whoo whoo".

...Does it make sense that team trivia would be the same season after season? What colour is a polar bear's skin? Who was the first actor to be paid $1 million for a movie? What is the only muscle attached at one end?...

You ask “Who was the first actor to be paid $1 million for a movie?” That’s an interesting question and one that the HAL answer I've previously heard may possibly be wrong.

IIRC, the HAL answer is Charlie Chaplin. But I believe he was given the first $1,000,000 contract, not necessarily for a single picture.

I’d guess the correct answer just might be William Holden for Bridge Over the River Kwai.

Scott & Karen

I found that to be the same on the Amsterdam. Little to no entertainment. At least the movies were good. The food sucked. One server on each side serving hot entrees and people cutting in line. Then servers would come and yell at people because there was supposed to be lines at each sign but no one serving. They even ran out of food items (hot chocolate, bananas, English muffins, non fat milk, etc). After a couple of days I was giving "emergency preparedness" skim milk. This is non-fridge milk with an attached straw like the juice boxes you give kids. I actually brought them home to put in my emergency kit :cool:

I also loved how the would serve the same food but give it a new name. Some of the chicken tasted spoiled and I love fish but some of it tasted like sea water which it shouldn't. The CD always talked about this being their #1 ship and only the best are picked. PICK NEW CHEFS.

You ask “Who was the first actor to be paid $1 million for a movie?” That’s an interesting question and one that the HAL answer I've previously heard may possibly be wrong.

IIRC, the HAL answer is Charlie Chaplin. But I believe he was given the first $1,000,000 contract, not necessarily for a single picture.

I’d guess the correct answer just might be William Holden for Bridge Over the River Kwai.

Scott & Karen

It was Brando for The Fugitive Kind in 1960 and again for Mutiny On The Bounty in 1962. William Holden was paid $250K + 10% of the gross for Bridge. He ultimately made over $1 million, so it depends on how the question is phrased. If it's "paid" the answer is Brando. If it's "received" it's Wm Holden.

Never trust a trivia host who tells you, "That's what it says on my sheet." :)

It was Brando for The Fugitive Kind in 1960 and again for Mutiny On The Bounty in 1962. William Holden was paid $250K + 10% of the gross for Bridge. He ultimately made over $1 million, so it depends on how the question is phrased. If it's "paid" the answer is Brando. If it's "received" it's Wm Holden.

Never trust a trivia host who tells you, "That's what it says on my sheet." :)

Hey, thanks. I didn't know that.

Scott & Karen

I found that to be the same on the Amsterdam. Little to no entertainment. At least the movies were good. The food sucked. One server on each side serving hot entrees and people cutting in line. Then servers would come and yell at people because there was supposed to be lines at each sign but no one serving. They even ran out of food items (hot chocolate, bananas, English muffins, non fat milk, etc). After a couple of days I was giving "emergency preparedness" skim milk. This is non-fridge milk with an attached straw like the juice boxes you give kids. I actually brought them home to put in my emergency kit :cool:

I also loved how the would serve the same food but give it a new name. Some of the chicken tasted spoiled and I love fish but some of it tasted like sea water which it shouldn't. The CD always talked about this being their #1 ship and only the best are picked. PICK NEW CHEFS.

Have you booked your next cruise yet?

Hey, thanks. I didn't know that.

Scott & Karen

You're welcome. It's that kind of information that cluttered up your head and keeps you from remembering where your keys are....