Navigator of the Seas 5/25/14 - Wonderful Cruise!

BACKGROUND

Me and my college aged son on our 7th cruise, 4th on Royal Caribbean. Looking to relax after the harsh Ohio winter and do some scuba diving.

PRE CRUISE

We flew into Hobby airport around 1:30. We pre-booked Cool Tours for our transportation from Hobby to hotel. As soon as we landed I turned my phone on and they called with instructions to find them. Very smooth operation. Our driver was friendly and shared with us a lot of Galveston history. It was interesting and enjoyable.

Since we wanted to visit NASA we stayed at the Courtyard Marriott across the street from it which was a good choice. Nice hotel with several restaurants and a CVS pharmacy within walking distance.

EMBARKATION

We again booked Cool Tours to get us from hotel to Port Galveston. We scheduled our ride for 9:30. They called at 9:20 and were waiting outside. Since we didn't get to see Galveston, our driver took us the scenic route showing us some highlights of the island. He shared a lot of history and facts making the ride again interesting and pleasurable.

This has to be the smoothest embarkation ever. We arrived at the port by 10:15. Someone immediately took our bags and we got in line. By 10:30 they were letting us inside to proceed with our paperwork. In full disclosure, having a JS allowed us priority boarding but both lines were moving equally fast. After getting 'signed in' we sat for a short time and by 11:00 were in the Windjammer enjoying lunch.

FOOD

We mostly ate in the main dining room. I am not a 'foodie' but there were many choices and the food was good. We are not buffet people so only ate twice at the Windjammer. Food was fine and tables were plenty.

We used room service a couple of times and enjoyed what we ordered. I absolutely love the bistro burgers on the menu.

For the first time we decided to try Johnny Rockets. We ended up going there three times for lunch. The burgers were good but I was mainly going for the apple pie they offer for dessert. It's tasty!

SERVICE

Our room steward was Stephanie from Jamaica and she was awesome. She kept our cabin spotless and did a good job of getting in and out around our crazy schedule.

Our main dining room waiters were excellent. Our head waiter asked us to call him Sing as we couldn't pronounce his name. He and his assistant Deandra worked their tails off and we never wanted for anything.

The only service complaint I have is Johnny Rockets. Each of the 3 times we ate there the service was not good. And the workers there seemed to be genuinely miserable. The first visit we witnessed 2 servers arguing over whether a specific table was theirs or not. Definitely a downer and not the experience you expect.

PORTS

Since we scheduled private scuba dives in Cozumel and Grand Cayman I wont spend much time on ports. We had some of the best dives ever. If anyone wants info on who we booked with just ask. In Jamaica we did a little shopping and got back on the ship.

ENTERTAINMENT

We attended the parade which was very enjoyable, even for adults. And we also attended my favorite, the 70's Street Party. We went to the Love and Marriage game show which was hilarious. Also made it to the ice show, titled Ice Dancing. This show is awesome! Went to Quest which is always a good time. We didn't make it to any of the other shows.

DEBARKATION

We pre booked our transfer back to Hobby through RCI. We were told to be in the Metropolis Theater by 8:30. We went at 7:15 and around 8:00 they were leading us off the ship. I have read complaints about lengthy waits to get through customs at this port but we had no problems. By 8:45 we were on the transfer bus headed back to Hobby.

GALVESTON

We really enjoyed cruising out of Galveston. I mean no insult to other home ports, but I have to say that hands down the people on this cruise were the friendliest and most polite I have cruised with. It just stood out.

I would have to guess that a large percentage of them are from Texas.

While I enjoyed touring NASA, I regret that I didn't get to see much of Galveston. For those of you who avoid this port because of possible fog and transportation challenges, all I can say is it's your loss. This is a great port! Due to our schedules, and the fact that my son and lots of my money go to Ohio State University, I dont get to cruise as often as I would like. Therefore I choose my cruises carefully. With this in mind, a future cruise out out of Galveston will definitely be at the top of my list.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I have enjoyed all of my cruises but this one is my favorite thus far. Everything went smooth. Fellow cruisers as well as most of the ship staff were pleasant and fun.

Because I need to keep in touch back home, I purchased the unlimited internet package for 1 device. Cost was $189.95 and was totally worth it. Used my Nook tablet most of the time and was able to logon all over the ship.

Unlimited for 2 devices cost $229.95, Daily Plan for a 24 hour span is $59.90, 3 Day Special Plan is $140.95, 1 hour is $29.95 and for 30 minutes it cost $10.00.

The ship played Country & Western music the majority of the time. Not a big fan of it. On a Caribbean cruise it would have been nice to hear a better mix of music styles. Didn't make or break my cruise, just sayin.

Not sure what happened in Grand Cayman. This was our 4th time there and it never took as long to tender off the ship as it did on this cruise. We pre-booked and put deposits on scuba dives which we nearly missed.

In prior JS cabins we had a coffee table which we made full use of. For whatever reason this JS did not which was kind of inconvenient.

Edited by Loves_Dogs

Thanks for the review. I have read other posts that they have taken the coffee tables out. Seems weird but ok. We never really used it other than to dump stuff on it. They do have a Caribbean band playing at the pool I trust!

Many posts through the years talk about the friendliness of passengers on Galveston cruises. It has been a few years since we have "done" Galveston and this is definitely something I am looking forward to again.

Thanks for the review. I have read other posts that they have taken the coffee tables out. Seems weird but ok. We never really used it other than to dump stuff on it. They do have a Caribbean band playing at the pool I trust!

Many posts through the years talk about the friendliness of passengers on Galveston cruises. It has been a few years since we have "done" Galveston and this is definitely something I am looking forward to again.

We spent very little time in the pool area. But now that you ask, I do remember hearing music other than Country & Western style out there but I think it was recorded. I don't recall seeing a band during the little time we spent out there.

We spent very little time in the pool area. But now that you ask, I do remember hearing music other than Country & Western style out there but I think it was recorded. I don't recall seeing a band during the little time we spent out there.

they did have a band playing up there fairly regularly on sea days and every sail away. It wasn't the bubba feather band but was the other group that often played down on the promenade (can't remember their name).

And that ice show was pretty awesome. definitely worth it to see. the comedians were great as well.

I am so glad you found transportation to and from Galveston a breeze. Hopefully others that want to cruise out of Galveston will read this and find out it can be painless!

Thank you, me too! I was one of those who was stressing over the whole transportation thing. What a waste of my time because in the end it was like any other port. Schedule a shuttle service, they show up and take you where you need to go.

@Theredofshaw-

Thank you for sharing that information regarding the pool band. Believe it or not, after 7 cruises I still have not set foot in any of the pools or hot tubs. And when I sit outside it is always with my book on my quiet balcony, never at the main pool area.

I am so glad you found transportation to and from Galveston a breeze. Hopefully others that want to cruise out of Galveston will read this and find out it can be painless!

We also used Cool Tours , both coming from Hobby to Galveston Beach Hotel and the from the pier back to Hobby. Price was $170 return for 2 people. No issues. We would use them again

We sailed this cruise too and had a great time. Embarkation was the smoothest I've experienced in Galveston and self-debarkation was a breeze too.

We were on the Navigator TA last November, so we enjoyed seeing all of the changes/improvements from the dry dock.

We missed the stateroom coffee table too. It's so inconvenient for room service coffee in the morning. We would bring our small balcony table into the room. We also observed too much C&W music on the ship which we don't enjoy. I guess that is just a Texas thing.

Best surprise was Sabor. Wow. We ate there twice this cruise.

We sailed this cruise too and had a great time. Embarkation was the smoothest I've experienced in Galveston and self-debarkation was a breeze too.

We were on the Navigator TA last November, so we enjoyed seeing all of the changes/improvements from the dry dock.

We missed the stateroom coffee table too. It's so inconvenient for room service coffee in the morning. We would bring our small balcony table into the room. We also observed too much C&W music on the ship which we don't enjoy. I guess that is just a Texas thing.

Best surprise was Sabor. Wow. We ate there twice this cruise.

Our main dining room table mates ate there and raved about it. They also ate at Chops one night but said they preferred Sabor. I am kicking myself for not trying it. Oh well...next cruise.

Great review....thanks for sharing. We'll be sailing on NOS in August and we too have a junior suite. We are a group of 4 / 50+ women traveling 2 to a room....cabins are right next to each other. Do you remember if the balcony divider doors can be opened?

OceanDreams

Edited by OceanDreams

Great review....thanks for sharing. We'll be sailing on NOS in August and we too have a junior suite. We are a group of 4 / 50+ women traveling 2 to a room....cabins are right next to each other. Do you remember if the balcony divider doors can be opened?

OceanDreams

yes they can. saw quite a few open dividers when we were tendering last week.

OceanDreams

I did not see any opened, but yes, they CAN be opened if they are side balconies. The aft ones cannot be opened. Navigator is one of the 2nd generation Voyager class ships, with balconies built on the outside of the ship's structure.

My understanding is that you have to ask and may or may not get permission to have it opened. Just ask your room steward on embarkation day. All they can do is say no. Have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks for the review!--we're sailing Navigator in early November, and it will be our first time out of Galveston. Sounds like you were pleased with Cool Tours for your transportation? I have to start looking into this and posted a thread in the Gulf Coast departures section looking for transportation recommendations, and did not get many replies....

great review! we were right next to you 9572 and yes i think Stephanie was one of the best we had. She's been with rccl 10 years! we gave her more than the regular tip. the first day we asked for more pillows and voila, she had then stowed under the bed, just had to get a couple of pillowcases. When we left, she always cleaned so when we got back it was all done. And yes, i missed the coffee table to. The coffee in the room was not good at all, but that's okay. I have posted pictures on my review and hope to have the Cruise compasses soon. Everything you said about the cruise... ditto!!!

I am going to have to pay attention next week to hear that CW music. We were on the Navigator in March and I only recall hearing it occasionally in the Promenade during the day. There was a Latin band in Bolero's at night the few times we passed there. I didn't notice Phil in the Schooner bar playing much CW but we didn't spend a lot of time there. I have to admit I don't know about the Pub. I am hoping there is someone there next week that we can listen too because we really do like to spend time there and people watch on the Promenade. The guy in March was BAD. Since we had our grandkids we didn't do any later night lounges. I know the Bubba Feathers Band was on then but we only saw them a couple of times in the Promenade.

I have now seen several posts commenting on the CW music so being a Texan (and liking it!) I may be so used to it I didn't notice! I am going to try to notice next week.:D

We completely enjoyed our first cruise on the NOS last week. We both enjoy country music, but didn't stay put long enough to really enjoy it. If I had known there was so much being played we could have taken our dancing boots & two-stepped down the promenade.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I did not see any opened, but yes, they CAN be opened if they are side balconies. The aft ones cannot be opened. Navigator is one of the 2nd generation Voyager class ships, with balconies built on the outside of the ship's structure.

My understanding is that you have to ask and may or may not get permission to have it opened. Just ask your room steward on embarkation day. All they can do is say no. Have a GREAT cruise!

Fantastic to know!!! We are on deck 9, port side towards the front.

OceanDreams

Thanks for the review!--we're sailing Navigator in early November, and it will be our first time out of Galveston. Sounds like you were pleased with Cool Tours for your transportation? I have to start looking into this and posted a thread in the Gulf Coast departures section looking for transportation recommendations, and did not get many replies....

Yes, I was very pleased with Cool Tours and would definitely use them again. In addition to shuttle services, they do various tours around the Galveston area too.

great review! we were right next to you 9572 and yes i think Stephanie was one of the best we had. She's been with rccl 10 years! we gave her more than the regular tip. the first day we asked for more pillows and voila, she had then stowed under the bed, just had to get a couple of pillowcases. When we left, she always cleaned so when we got back it was all done. And yes, i missed the coffee table to. The coffee in the room was not good at all, but that's okay. I have posted pictures on my review and hope to have the Cruise compasses soon. Everything you said about the cruise... ditto!!!

WOW! 10 years is a long time. No wonder she was so proficient. That was the first time a room steward actually came to us and asked what they could do to keep us comfortable and have an enjoyable cruise. All I asked for was extra towels and we always had a generous stack of clean ones. We too gave her well beyond the normal suggested tip.

I kept all the cruise compasses too. Unfortunately I am a bit what you would call technically challenged and am not sure how to go about posting them here. Did you go to the Meet & Mingle? I couldn't believe how many people showed up.

We got to talking to Stephanie, and i'm sure you know she's from Jamaica. But she's sailed alot.

We didn't go to the meet and mingle, dh doesn't do alot of meeting of people he doesn't know. And i wanted to spend time with him. I was signed for for the slot pull, but i didn't go either. We did have a good time.

BACKGROUND

Me and my college aged son on our 7th cruise, 4th on Royal Caribbean. Looking to relax after the harsh Ohio winter and do some scuba diving.

PORTS

Since we scheduled private scuba dives in Cozumel and Grand Cayman I wont spend much time on ports. We had some of the best dives ever. If anyone wants info on who we booked with just ask. In Jamaica we did a little shopping and got back on the ship.

GALVESTON

We really enjoyed cruising out of Galveston. I mean no insult to other home ports, but I have to say that hands down the people on this cruise were the friendliest and most polite I have cruised with. It just stood out.

I would have to guess that a large percentage of them are from Texas.

While I enjoyed touring NASA, I regret that I didn't get to see much of Galveston. For those of you who avoid this port because of possible fog and transportation challenges, all I can say is it's your loss. This is a great port! Due to our schedules, and the fact that my son and lots of my money go to Ohio State University, I dont get to cruise as often as I would like. Therefore I choose my cruises carefully. With this in mind, a future cruise out out of Galveston will definitely be at the top of my list.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I have enjoyed all of my cruises but this one is my favorite thus far. Everything went smooth. Fellow cruisers as well as most of the ship staff were pleasant and fun.

Since you enjoyed sailing out of Galveston and you're divers, you should come back and do the other itinerary. The snorkeling and diving in Roatan is spectacular!

Edited by Cindy

Since you enjoyed sailing out of Galveston and you're divers, you should come back and do the other itinerary. The snorkeling and diving in Roatan is spectacular!

Thank you for the suggestion, I agree! When I start to plan my next cruise I will definitely be looking at what's available out of Galveston. Would love to cruise Liberty when she gets there. And I have read Roatan diving is great. Haven't been there yet but it's on my 'bucket list'.