Car Rental?

Any reccomendations for a Rental Car company would be appreciated. Would like to rent a car at the airport in Cairns. We will be landng in Cairns and need to get to Port Douglas. Plan to stay 2 nights,snorkel GBR and then the Rainforest/KRS then head to Cairns for 1 night since we have an early (6:40am) flight to Sydney on the 27th. We like the idea of driving to Port Douglas based on the comments of how scenic the route is and the flexibility of having a car. Thanks!

All of the major rental car companies operate out of Cairns airport - Hertz, Avis, Budget, Europcar, Thrifty. I think we've used Avis and Budget in the past. Not a lot of difference between them really.

Thanks for your comments. We were concerned about how early our flight was and the car return. We will probably renturn the night before and just look for a hotel that has a shuttle.

Thanks again!

You should be able to return the car prior to your flight. Just do a dummy booking entering the time you'd like to return it and if it lets you proceed after you've chosen a car then it can be returned at the time you selected.

Enjoy your stay.

They should have an anytime drop off facility at the airport. Check when you pick the car up , but I am fairly certain that at a popular airport such as Cairns that is geared to tourists , someone will be on duty.

If not there should be a key drop.

They should have an anytime drop off facility at the airport. Check when you pick the car up , but I am fairly certain that at a popular airport such as Cairns that is geared to tourists , someone will be on duty.

If not there should be a key drop.

Agreed, most airports have this type of arrangement/faciility to enable for out of hours pickups/dropoffs, but a dummy booking will enable you to find out which companies offer these. :D

Were your ears burning Patybear?

I was booking my car hire today from Cairns airport for our pre-cruise stay in Port Douglas. Booked our Resort last night. We're going for Avis (only because I like to take advantage of extra frequent flyer points... "Airline Miles" I think you call them up your way). There's a few there to choose from as already listed further up the thread. There all good. And the process will be quite easy...

No problems in when you pick up or return Avis Car in Cairns.

1 Cairns Airport Cairns, QL, 4870 , AU

(61) 07-4033-9555

Location Code: CNS Hours of Operation:

Sun 4:30 AM - 1:30 AM

Mon - Wed 4:30 AM - 1:00 AM

Thu - Fri 4:30 AM - 1:30 AM

Sat 4:30 AM - 1:00 AM

No doubt the others will have the same

Cheers

Edited by Flipper133