Shoes? Alaska on Sunday!

DnR

What kind of shoes will I need? We are dogsledding, ATVing, and general walking around.

Recommendations?

For Alaska I always take my Merrels, low-cut hiking boot with gore-tex for water protection and comfortable hiking. I would think anything(brand) along these lines would be good. If you don't want to spend extra money on the gore-tex get a can of waterproofing spray and coat them good. :D

Merrell Moab GTX XCR Shoe - http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/12465M/28972/Mens/Moab-GORE-TEX

Edited by waASPCrusier

We take waterproof shoes.

Shoes like tennis shoes can take time to dry out.

That's why you grab a couple of newspapers before boarding! Stuff wet shoes with them and that helps absorb the water. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't know if you are a lady or a gentleman but this is what I did.. I'm a lady..

I purchased a pair of suede low cut boots on sale at Burlington Coat Factory & wore them throughout Alaska & on our Antarctica cruise..I used several coats waterproof spray on them before leaving home & still have them..They held up very well..Believe they were under a $100 dollars.. Normally take size 7 shoe so purchased the boots in size 7 & could wear a pair of DH's heavy socks with them..

Zappos also has lots of low cut (just above ankles) boots both over & under a $100..

http://www.zappos.com/sam-edelman-cody-black..

BTW if purchasing on line go to the Zappos or Shoemall size chart WEB site.. On Shoemall they tell you how to measure your foot & what size to get in US, UK or EU ..

http://www.shoemall.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=Size-Charts#womenshoes

Always measure both feet & order the size for the larger foot..

Now DH did not want waterproof boots & wore his boat shoes throughout, with a pair of rubbers over them , when we were walking in snow/rain... I ordered the rubbers from J.C. Penny..

Edited by serendipity1499

Light duty hikers or even sneakers/tennis shoes/runners (choose appropriate term for your geographic location) :) Waterproofing is a very good idea.

OP was talking dogsledding and ATV'ing - that means snow and rough terrain - sneakers, tennis shoes and the like would be little better than flip-flops- waterproof hiking boots (not necessarily "light duty" would make sense.

A bit of trivia but perhaps useful information, when my husband went to SE Alaska almost weekly, the well known dark, pea green rubber boots that came up somewhere between mid Calf and your knees were called Ketchikan sneakers. I do not think they are as needed in the summer, however.

My "uniform" in SE Alaska, regardless of the time of year, includes sturdy but lightweight hiking boots.

Edited by wander

OP was talking dogsledding and ATV'ing - that means snow and rough terrain - sneakers, tennis shoes and the like would be little better than flip-flops- waterproof hiking boots (not necessarily "light duty" would make sense.

Dogsledding and ATV'ing does not always mean "snow" in Alaska this time of year. It's more likely that the dogsledding is pulling a wheeled sled. There are a few excursions that take you to a Glacier but that's not the normal dogsledding excursion or experience. There's no need to go overboard with specially purchased expensive hiking boots but I wouldn't go the tennis shoe/sneaker route either.