Regal Princess Aft Pool

dedosr

• 5 weeks later...
I think it was done just enough to say they added an aft pool. It sort of reminds me of the weird pool that is aft on the Coral Princess. I keep asking "what the heck were they thinking".

I agree about the lack of pools on these ships. Disappointing! I am one who only gets to swim/use a pool on cruises.

Unlike a hotel on land, a ship must calculate the effect of any weight added after the original design has been completed. It all has to do with the centers of gravity and buoyancy as well as the amount of draft the vessel draws.

Since the pools are located high on the ship, the shifting of the pool water in high seas will affect the balance of the ship.

In my opinion, they can take the space occupied by the art gallery and photo sales on the ships and devote it to an indoor lap pool.

I have no problem with Royal or Regal for Caribbean or med cruises, which are rather port intensive. Since the pools are all outdoors they are use able even if not large. I have 20 days on the Royal scheduled for Jan.

I will not take the Royal or the Regal on a TA or in colder climates due to the lack of an indoor pool. For that reason I have switching to Celebrity for my TA next spring and HAL for the arctic circle cruise. Both of them have indoor pools.

Unfortunately the other Princess ship in Southampton next year is the Caribbean Princess which also lacks and indoor pool space.

Okay, that's just ludicrous. Aft bathtub would be a more accurate description of that. I've seen bigger kiddie wading pools. Was the designer of these two new ships someone with a water phobia? A chlorine allergy? A crippling hatred of pool noodles or the game "Marco Polo"? (Actually, I'd be right there with him on the latter.)

I would have to agree with you.....:):):)

Bob

Indeed the cruise line is in business to do just that. The question is "When does the anything for a profit motive start to be counter-productive?" Which is to say, when does change for profit's sake start to alienate a core clientele that does have other choices, and does that matter?

Now, I can't pretend to be one of the Old-line Princess Veterans around here; I've just recently gone Elite. When I first cruised Princess, it seemed like a perfect match, and for many reasons, it still does. And yes, I get perks, and yes, Princess is the only line to regularly sail out of my hometown of San Francisco. And so yes, I have another four weeks of Princess cruising booked.

I'm pretty much a value shopper. So if other people want to pay exorbitant amounts for bottled water when going ashore, play low-payback Bingo, and otherwise subsidize my fare, more power to 'em.

But it does feel like Princess, despite its great loyalty program, is definitely going after a new market - younger first-time cruisers who, on the Royal, won't miss standing aft and looking at the wake or strolling all the way around the promenade deck because they've never done it. (And they'll be more likely to buy lots of photos and the Reflections DVD.)

On the other hand, how thrilled am I that I can stand on the Skywalk or watch a 5-minute dancing fountain show? Not very.

All other things being equal - which they aren't - if I wanted to sail a Royal-esque ship, I'd choose X's Solstice class.

My feelings exactly.Princess does not do large ships as well as RCI. We did a B2B on Royal in the Caribbean earlier this year and were VERY disappointed. For us Coral and Island are "Princess Style"