Maasdam

bambidrummer

If you're talking about the various afternoon teas in the main diningroom, yes. As I recall, it was called something different each day. I went to one that served scones and little sandwiches. I didn't make It to any of the other ones.

High Tea being a workers meal after their work day, HAL tea is better referred as Afternoon Tea.

However, proper Afternoon Tea (also called Low Tea) is supposed to be served on low tables (in a parlor or in the garden for example). Therefore, since HAL is serving tea at dinning tables with ''high'' chairs, I guess you could call it High Tea too.

On the QM2, the Winter Garden was designed to welcome Afternoon Tea, and it would have been delightfull. Due to its popularity, Afternoon Tea is now served in the bigger Queens Room (but not in a dinning room like on HAL).

Edited by jp2001

Thank you for the info about "tea time." I had tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria. I've always referred to it as "High Tea." Is this correct? Is it offered as a shore ex?

High refers to the fact that it's later in the day than afternoon tea. (Think high noon or high time.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_(meal)

Thank you for the info about "tea time." I had tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria. I've always referred to it as "High Tea." Is this correct? Is it offered as a shore ex?

"High" tea is more of a meal, served at a high table. The foods are filling.

"Low" tea, or afternoon tea, is generally served at a low table. I have seen HAL serve afternoon tea in the Explorers Lounge, at cocktail tables, which truly are "low". The foods served at low tea are more of a snack to hold you until dinner.

I have seen HAL serve afternoon tea in the Explorers Lounge, at cocktail tables, which truly are "low". The foods served at low tea are more of a snack to hold you until dinner.

I hope they serve it in the Explorer Lounge on my next sailing of the Maasdam! (last time was in the dinning room. It was fine but I would prefer to experience it in a lounge).

I hope they serve it in the Explorer Lounge on my next sailing of the Maasdam! (last time was in the dinning room. It was fine but I would prefer to experience it in a lounge).

That hasn't happened often, and was on port days. Generally, tea is held in the dining room. Usually you are served at the table. The Royal Dutch Tea has been buffet style, which tends to make the lines very long.

While in Victoria for 5 days, we had tea 3x. The Empress was very filling in the afternoon. One was at a cottage setting along the coast, it was in the morning and we had scones. Third tea was somewhere in the downtown area and it was early afternoon and we had assorted tiny sandwiches. I don't remember the names of the other places.

I've been back to Victoria 3x since then, but have never gone to a tea. My next time will be a port on a cruise. Where do you suggest to have tea?