Still live bands/party bands on board?

SoBe2010

Hello everybody,

Reading all the cost cutting, I was wondering, if X still have Live Bands on board like they used to in the past (Fusion, Sipra, Southside, Kenosis etc.)

Thanks in advance!

They had a great band VIBES on the Reflection / December 2013.

Edited by 20pluscruises

Hello everybody,

Reading all the cost cutting, I was wondering, if X still have Live Bands on board like they used to in the past (Fusion, Sipra, Southside, Kenosis etc.)

Thanks in advance!

For now at least they still do. I would not think they would eliminate live bands completely but would not be surprised at some cutbacks.

I've just noticed a summit review with daily's.

It states a house band with limited perfomances.

No live music at the Pool at all. Just a DJ.

There was live music at the pool at certain times on my summit sailing last week. I actually thought there were a lot of musical acts on board which was suprising after reading all the gloom and doom on these boards. Here's a list of the poolside bands, I left out "activities" like volleyball, games and similar activities, only the musical entertainment:

Sun May 25

Stephen Aubrey Guitar & Vocal noon to 1pm; 1:15-2pm

Sailaway with DJ TX and activities team 4-5:30

MOn May 26 SEA DAY

[sorry, can't find my schedule]

Tues May 27 SEA DAY

Luigi's Latin Dance Club 10:30

Groove Collectors DJ duo, Noon-1pm

DJ TX Beach Mix 1-2:30; 3:13-4PM

Wed May 28 PORT BERMUDA

Party 'n Soul 2-3pm; 3:15-4pm

THURS MAY 29 PORT BERMUDA

Andrea Lisa Quartet 2-3pm

Party 'n soul house band 4-4:45

Concert under the stars 10pm to 11:30 pm

Party 'n Soul

Andrea Lisa Trio

Jordan Peterson

Friday May 30 PORT BERMUDA/SAILAWAY

Stephen Aubrey Guitar & Vocal 1:30-2:15

Party 'n Soul 3:30-4:15

Latin Dance Class 4:15

Sizzle Sailaway Party 4:30-5:15

Celebrity Dancers

DJ TX

Party 'n Soul 5:30 - 6:15

Sat May 31 SEA DAY

Steven Aubrey, Guitar noon to 12:45

DJ TX Beach Mix 12:45 to 1:45

Steven Aubrey, guitar, 3:30-4:45

• 2 months later...

I became a fan of "Flava Party Band" on our Summit cruise last August. Guess I will have to suffer through this DJ thing poolside. I am a huge music snob, so this will probably be my only negative on our coming cruise on 8/24.

There were live music acts on the Infinity last month. I think three different ones plus the house band (played certain nights in the Constellation Lounge and at the Dancing with the Officers event). The house band was the same as the one on the Infinity from 2013 and they are very good!

There was live music at the pool at certain times on my summit sailing last week. I actually thought there were a lot of musical acts on board which was suprising after reading all the gloom and doom on these boards. Here's a list of the poolside bands, I left out "activities" like volleyball, games and similar activities, only the musical entertainment:

Sun May 25

Stephen Aubrey Guitar & Vocal noon to 1pm; 1:15-2pm

Sailaway with DJ TX and activities team 4-5:30

MOn May 26 SEA DAY

[sorry, can't find my schedule]

Tues May 27 SEA DAY

Luigi's Latin Dance Club 10:30

Groove Collectors DJ duo, Noon-1pm

DJ TX Beach Mix 1-2:30; 3:13-4PM

Wed May 28 PORT BERMUDA

Party 'n Soul 2-3pm; 3:15-4pm

THURS MAY 29 PORT BERMUDA

Andrea Lisa Quartet 2-3pm

Party 'n soul house band 4-4:45

Concert under the stars 10pm to 11:30 pm

Party 'n Soul

Andrea Lisa Trio

Jordan Peterson

Friday May 30 PORT BERMUDA/SAILAWAY

Stephen Aubrey Guitar & Vocal 1:30-2:15

Party 'n Soul 3:30-4:15

Latin Dance Class 4:15

Sizzle Sailaway Party 4:30-5:15

Celebrity Dancers

DJ TX

Party 'n Soul 5:30 - 6:15

Sat May 31 SEA DAY

Steven Aubrey, Guitar noon to 12:45

DJ TX Beach Mix 12:45 to 1:45

Steven Aubrey, guitar, 3:30-4:45

Be honest...describe the Party and Soul "House Band"

Be honest...describe the Party and Soul "House Band"

To me all cruise ship entertainment is cruise ship entertainment.

At least it rotates around and changes from time to time, but I've never made a point of marking my schedule to see any of them.

I don't expect much, and as such am often pleasantly surprised.

I even tried to watch the Jordan guy on piano, and just cringed. Better than I can do, but certainly not playing Carnegie hall anytime soon LOL.

Edited by cle-guy

To me all cruise ship entertainment is cruise ship entertainment.

At least it rotates around and changes from time to time, but I've never made a point of marking my schedule to see any of them.

I don't expect much, and as such am often pleasantly surprised.

I even tried to watch the Jordan guy on piano, and just cringed. Better than I can do, but certainly not playing Carnegie hall anytime soon LOL.

So, you didn't see the "House Band"? It's on your list A LOT

So, you didn't see the "House Band"? It's on your list A LOT

If I did it was background music I paid no attention to. I just copied the pool-side music related entries form the Celebrity Today's I brought home in reply to another poster a while back. I didn't post it from memory at all.

Edited by cle-guy

If I did it was background music I paid no attention to. I just copied the music related entries form the Celebrity Today's I brought home in reply to another poster a while back. I didn't post it from memory at all.

I laughed so hard when I saw the "House Band" LOL! I'll look through my pics and post it for you. Everyone was cracking up!

We were on the Silhouette in June and the house band was "Soul", they were very good, did lots of 70's 80's music and played in different venues everyday. They were very good, were happy to play requests and one night in the Sky Lounge they played the song my DH and I danced to on our wedding night 30 years previous...neither of the singers was old enough to know the words to our song but thanks to the technology of Ipads and google they found the lyrics and did their version, just about spot on!! We were very impressed and appreciated the effort. They always had a good audience of listeners and dancers when they performed.

Just to be clear...we had a great time on the cruise due to a great CC group, but a lot of us were cracking up when we saw the house band. LOL!!! Yes, this is the Party and Soul House Band by the pool and late night Sky Lounge dancing. I also understand why Cle-guy thought it was backround music. :)

House Band.pdf

Edited by 20pluscruises

Just to be clear...we had a great time on the cruise due to a great CC group, but a lot of us were cracking up when we saw the house band. LOL!!! Yes, this is the band by the pool and late night Sky Lounge dancing. I also understand why Cle-guy thought it was backround music. :)

[attach]322244[/attach]

I have to say, I miss the string quartets.

Was there one on your very recent Summit? Not on ours / August. However, they did have the Tenors of Rock one night in the theater...they were great! Wish they had done more shows.

I can't remember, but kind of doubt it.

The TA to England crowd would far more appreciate a harpist than the NYC/NJ party crowds going to Bermuda for a week's vacation. She was in Ensemble lounge and Al Bacio when I caught her There were also cello and violinist in Ensemble one night (and likely some more nights too) as I passed thru there on the Eclipse TA. I was with my TA on way to dinner and said to him "why are all these people complaining about the strings are gone from X theres 3 of them right there!".

I like how X caters the entertainment to the particular primary demographic on each sailing and regions where the ships sail, and not offer the same exact thing on every ship and every sailing.

Edited by cle-guy

I can't remember, but kind of doubt it.

The TA to England crowd would far more appreciate a harpist than the NYC/NJ party crowds going to Bermuda for a week's vacation. She was in Ensemble lounge and Al Bacio when I caught her There were also cello and violinist in Ensemble one night (and likely some more nights too) as I passed thru there on the Eclipse TA. I was with my TA on way to dinner and said to him "why are all these people complaining about the strings are gone from X theres 3 of them right there!".

I like how X caters the entertainment to the particular primary demographic on each sailing and regions where the ships sail, and not offer the same exact thing on every ship and every sailing.

Ummm...NYC is the cultural capital of the world.

YES, I am all for party bands on these ships. Below is one of my visual samples to illustrate why it is fun to be at or hanging around the pool areas when they are playing the good tune. Good vibes!!

From our Jan-Feb, 14-day Solstice sailing earlier this year down under (as detailed more fully by the below-connected live/blog), there were seven different pool-side "Party Band" sessions. Basically every other day, per going back and checking the daily schedules. Most were done late afternoon. Pool-side, they also had a number of times with a DJ and/or a guitar/vocal performance. The Party Band also did a couple of sessions in the Sky Lounge. There were a mix of other jazz quartet, classical group, etc., performances at different location on the Solstice.

On this Solstice cruise, we did have as much time for this fun as our port days tended to be fairly long and busy. Plus, we had to get ready for sail-aways, etc. No complaints on our end about the music options, quality. It worked and was available.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 72,884 views for this fun posting.

Super loved it when there were times at the pool in the afternoons on the Solstice in June 2011 when the “party band” was going at it with great tunes. This added to the fun and excitement around the pool area of our ship. Just like done by some famous California pop groups, we were hearing “fun, fun, fun” underneath the sun!!:

SolsticePartyBandAtPool.jpg

Different strokes for diff folks..hope to see good quality live music continue on Celebrity .

The DJ should not be the main focus of the lobby music.,, better placed in club Quasar or upstairs clubs., or rotate like other acts. Our last cruise was on Royal C and they manage that quite well! Hoping for same next up on X Reflection...

Edited by hcat

The party band on Constellation in March was the best band I've seen on a ship. If you were there, you know what I mean. Lead guitarist that would put known pros to shame, a great variety of songs from the 60s to present, genres from pop to blues to rock. The CD sat in on lead vocals, and one of the ship's senior officers jumped in on guitar at the pool party. The only time I've ever seen a ship's crowd screaming for an encore. They played two encores.