What Are My Odds?????

BMW325

We will be sailing September 3 to Key West and Grand Cayman aboard the Epress of the Seas.

What are my odds of making it to Grand Cayman?? I've gotten a chuckle out of those poor folks who are still 0 for 5 on making it to Grand Cayman because of weather, choppy seas, etc. :p

We were there in Febuary and it was really super-choppy, but they still tendered us in. And I noticed when we got in that they are building docks so the ships can come right up to the landing. It looked like they were well on the way, so hopefully won't be too long coming. That's really a dangerous way to get from the ship to land when it's choppy, which seems almost 100% of the time. So, hopefully this will alleviate all that. Good luck in getting in, guys.

Mike & Nancy

We are 2 for 2. We were on the Century last November, it was one of the first ships backafter the hurricane. You could see the results in lots of places, but they were doing a great job with the clean up.

I love Grand Cayman. I hope you make it and have a great time

I've been to GC on cruises 3 or 4 times, never had a problem, we even went there last Oct 1st ship allowed back after Ivan (would have preferred not to go at that time). Last time I was there, right after Ivan, just about everything was still closed up, it was interesting to see the damage that a direct hit from a hurricane can do, but not something i would like to see on vacation again.

We made it 2 out of 4 times. Missed it once in March and once in April. The seas and the winds there can flare up at any time making tendering difficult. I hope you make it. We enjoyed it very much the two times we did make it onshore. Have fun!!

I agree with Rala. Even if the tendering begins it can be iffy. In March we made it but it was rough. Once we were back on the ship we found out that we were on the last tender for the day. We left around 10 a.m. The Captain, under advice from the Safety Officer, decided that it was too dangerous to tender any more passengers ashore. Most of the excursions were cancelled and we were hurried back aboard. The Captain was trying to leave early to avoid an inbound storm.

I can assure you based on experience that you don't want to tender when the seas are rough. On the ride back to our ship the waves were crashing on top of our tender - a little scary. I have never been seasick on the ship, but that was bad enough to make the most seasoned sailors more than a little green.:eek:

I've been to GC on cruises 3 or 4 times, never had a problem, we even went there last Oct 1st ship allowed back after Ivan (would have preferred not to go at that time). Last time I was there, right after Ivan, just about everything was still closed up, it was interesting to see the damage that a direct hit from a hurricane can do, but not something i would like to see on vacation again.

They allowed a ship there on Oct 1st???The storm hit like Sept 12th ,13th or 14th.....I wouldn't have thought they even had electricity by then!!!

What ship was that? I thought RCI went to Costa Maya for weeks after the storm..

Archived