Does anyone dislike Cove Balconies?

I haven't sailed on Carnival for several years. I was just doing a dummy reservation and they showed a Cove balcony. I already read a bunch of reviews and looked at YouTube videos, so I know what they are. Most everything I read is positive, but I'm wondering if anyone doesn't like them and, if so, why? Just curious. I want to get both sides. BTW, I'm looking at the Magic. Thanks.

Well, if 95% of people like them what does that tell you?

There's some downsides, like a somewhat restricted (but still plentiful) view but you gain more privacy.

Well, here's my thought on that. If they are so popular....then why doesn't Carnival charge more and why aren't they always sold out? I'm just curious to the down side, if any. Everyone has different opinions. Just looking for the flip side. Thanks for responding.

I LOVE the cove balconies. I've stayed in balcony cabins on almost every deck and have to say the coves are my favorite (unless it's a Suite balcony):D

Thanks.

My last two cruises: dream cove and liberty regular on lido. If I had my pick I'd pick the cove. The only downside is they are on deck 2. That is the only downside I can think of. Loved being that close to the water. It is noiser because you are closer to the wate.

Also, I forgot to ask another question. I read that if the sea is rough that they might lock your balcony and you won't be able to go out. Is that true? Has that ever happened to anyone?

Our one and only cove was the cruise where we spent our last 3 days riding back in during superstorm Sandy....:eek:. Needless to say that was NOT the time to have a cove.

They closed the balcony off because the seas were so rough and once they did there was an extremely LOUD banging that started and went on continuously 24/7 and never let up. Because the noise was deafening we were afraid they had failed to secure the panels and had the maintenance supervisor come up and check but were told " sorry it's the way they are constructed"....:eek:

Needless to say for two people who can usually sleep through anything, we found ourselves unable to sleep for those 3 days......and YES it was that LOUD.

I know that was a freakish thing but I never want to risk being in a cove in rough weather ever again!!!

Another negative is that due to the location on deck 2, most midship coves are under the galley (kitchen) which can cause noise early in the morning. The more forward coves are right below guest services, and are very quiet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Another negative is that due to the location on deck 2, most midship coves are under the galley (kitchen) which can cause noise early in the morning. The more forward coves are right below guest services, and are very quiet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Coves under the galley or quest services aren't the only choices. There are also coves under the dining room and those are quiet because the dining room is carpeted.

Sharon

There is no way ever that I would even get one! I think people like them because they get to pay a cheaper price for this type of balcony, but they are not nice, they are more enclosed in, they don't have the full glass and they are located in a bad place where the dining rooms and galley are right above you. One year back in my day, I had a carnival cruise that the cabin was under the galley, needless to say around 3-4am I heard rolling carts and pans/dishes falling on floor practically got woken up nearly every night hearing that, since then I make sure I check out what is above me and even underneath me, although you won't hear anything underneath you but after that experience I make sure I choose a cabin that will be quieter.

I also feel being on such a low deck on the ship and being in a cove balcony should you have some bad weather and high seas your sure to get spashed with water.

Edited by lyndamr

There is no way ever that I would even get one! I think people like them because they get to pay a cheaper price for this type of balcony, but they are not nice, they are more enclosed in, they don't have the full glass and they are located in a bad place where the dining rooms and galley are right above you. One year back in my day, I had a carnival cruise that the cabin was under the galley, needless to say around 3-4am I heard rolling carts and pans/dishes falling on floor practically got woken up nearly every night hearing that, since then I make sure I check out what is above me and even underneath me, although you won't hear anything underneath you but after that experience I make sure I choose a cabin that will be quieter.

I also feel being on such a low deck on the ship and being in a cove balcony should you have some bad weather and high seas your sure to get spashed with water.

Perhaps it would be best to comment on something you had experience with. It seems to me it would kind of hard to claim something is not nice if you have never had one...

No they don't have glass to look through but it is easy to see over the rail while sitting, but if you enjoy looking over at water then a cove is your only choice. If I remember correctly deck 3 isn't all the galley so I am pretty sure there are plenty of rooms that are not under the galley.

It has to be quite rough for them to be closed off and I never got "splashed" in mine. Plus they are larger than a regular balcony...

Also, I forgot to ask another question. I read that if the sea is rough that they might lock your balcony and you won't be able to go out. Is that true? Has that ever happened to anyone?

That is rare, but it is possible which is why they do not charge more for them.

I had one on the dream in Feb. It was noisy as mine was under the galley. If I got up to use the bathroom the noise was bothersome enough that it was hard to go back to sleep. I liked the balcony, it was more enclosed but was more shaded and never was too hot to sit out like it can get on other balconies. I talked to several other passengers in cove balconies and if your not under the galley they were quiet rooms. The weather was great on my cruise so did not experience the balcony under stormy conditions. I would book another in a different location for sure.

debkjw

We had one on the Breeze and I really didn't care for it. I did not like being on deck 2. It just seemed to far away from everything. There was no noise above us but it seemed too loud out on the balcony when I just wanted to sit out there for some piece and quite.

We paid $769 per person for our cove on the Magic, not what I consider "cheap", although I suppose for a balcony it might be. And actually, they are indeed quite nice, and pretty roomy too, as they are slightly bigger than a regular balcony. We didn't feel "enclosed" at all. Rather, we loved the privacy. Nobody could look up and gawk at us, we couldn't look down and see 3,000 people, and we didn't have any kids peeking around and looking at us from their balcony. The lifeboat above us provided lots of shade. If we wanted sun, we would go up on one of the public decks. The space below the railing is open, with bars, so you can see the water. I would put my bare feet up on the bars every time we sat out on our balcony. Our room was definitely not in a "bad place", and the only noise besides the beautiful sound of the water that we heard was our neighbors fighting at 3 in the morning. We heard no galley or dining room noise at all. We had some really rough seas a couple of days, so much that some of our tablemates at brunch were saying they had gotten ill from the movement. We actually sat out on our balcony during some of the rougher parts, and we got some great video of waves crashing. Not only did we not get splashed with water, there was never even a mention of them closing off our cove.

OP, the coves are amazing. Don't hesitate to book one! :)

I know exactly what I am talking about, I been on 53 cruises so far and I have visited a cove balcony as a family member that went with us was in it and I hated it and she and her husband wished they had a regular balcony. There are only like 10 cabins on each side that are not under the dining room or galley.

Just read the post from GTO-girl she is speaking from actual experience and I was right.

If you want a balcony but don't want to pay the regular price for a balcony then a cove balcony be good if your ok with a bit more noise from the sea, lower deck and if its rough sees you can get wet.

I know exactly what I am talking about, I been on 53 cruises so far and I have visited a cove balcony as a family member that went with us was in it and I hated it and she and her husband wished they had a regular balcony. There are only like 10 cabins on each side that are not under the dining room or galley.

Just read the post from GTO-girl she is speaking from actual experience and I was right.

If you want a balcony but don't want to pay the regular price for a balcony then a cove balcony be good if your ok with a bit more noise from the sea, lower deck and if its rough sees you can get wet.

I know exactly what I'm talking about. I've had them both and I prefer the cove.

How many of the 53 cruises were in a cove? If you didnt stay in it how would you comment on the noise? She was riding by a horrible storm, so what, you expect it to be cotton candy and lollipops????

So here is MY experience, not something I read..... Sept 2013, western Caribbean, room 2262, hurricane Ingrid..... Wasn't loud, I didn't get splashed.

Go for the cove if it is what you want to try, just look above when you chose a room, don't let those who can buy better balconies on their 53 cruises deter you even though they are clearly better than regular cruise scum like myself...

If you want a balcony and can't afford one on a higher deck then so be it, the OP asked for our opinions and I gave mine FACEPIRTE, I am entitled to my opinion!!

This board is not to argue with one another but for each of us to give "our advice/opinions" so facepirate, don't bother speaking to me as I am simply answering the OP question...sorry I didn't say what you wanted me to say!!! I speak what I mean.

Edited by lyndamr

If you want a balcony and can't afford one on a higher deck then so be it, the OP asked for our opinions and I gave mine FACEPIRTE, I am entitled to my opinion!!

This board is not to argue with one another but for each of us to give "our advice/opinions" so facepirate, don't bother speaking to me as I am simply answering the OP question...sorry I didn't say what you wanted me to say!!! I speak what I mean.

It has nothing to do with your opinion, the asked for input from people that had been in one, not what someone read somewhere else.

And when you start making comments essentially calling it a poor mans balcony and making assumptions on what I can and cannot afford I am going to call you out on it. You don't know me or what I can afford so maybe you should think before you spout out about people.

And lastly your correct, this is a place to share opinions and advice, but when you answered you did neither. You passed your opinion off as fact, next time remember while you may be entitled to your opinion your not entitled to your own facts.

Wow! Chill ppl.....we all have opinions and explain things as we see them....As for the coves on the magic, no I have not had one, but I can just share what I seen while disembarking on deck 0 on port days.....to me they seemed very enclosed (before I get jumped on its from my perception looking in, not from having one) plus I wasn't a fan of the deck 2 plus lifeboats overhead, thus to me making it look more enclosed. Not having glass to look through while sitting and reading would be an issue for me as well as to me, its where I like to relax. If you want a place for fresh air and nice ocean sound and privacy it does seem nice. It all depends on what you want to do or enjoy on your balcony. And really, price is moot as it isn't(or wasn't for me) any big difference it them. So now that you know what they offer vs. reg balcony you can make your own decision based on your usage. Either way its a cruise and I'm sure you will enjoy either :)

Ah, another person who has never had one, had a passing glance at one, never set foot on one, but can tell you how bad it would be. :rolleyes: reminds me of what a waste of $50 is for FTTF by those who have never used it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wow! Chill ppl.....we all have opinions and explain things as we see them....

You are right, I'm apologize.... But giving opinion is one thing, passing someone else's opinion as fact is another.

You are correct they are somewhat closed in, but while sitting you can easily see out, and you get shade from the life boats above. They also offer great privacy that the other balconies do not. Also the regular balconies you cannot look over and see the water. Back to privacy, you have to be very picky when choosing a regular balcony since anyone can look onto many of the balconies from I think promenade deck.