iPhone settings while on board the Sun?

JimS4210

Hi all,

I've searched this topic on the boards and there are so many conflicting answers and opinions that I'm thoroughly confused and don't know what to do!

We leave for Alaska in two weeks and my Mom is ill and I'd like to keep in touch with my Dad via text at least once or twice daily. I'd love to turn the phone off and stick it in the safe for the week but that isn't an option.

I have an iPhone 5, my Dad has an Android phone and my sister, who will be helping take care of my Mom, also has an iPhone 5.

I don't plan on making any calls unless in one of the ports (Juneau, Skagway or Ketchikan) but do want to send or receive texts while on the ship if necessary.

Can I just turn off data roaming in my settings? Some say that's all that's necessary and others say that additional charges will accrue.

Also, since my sister is on an iPhone like me, will iMessage automatically work without extra charges? Thanks in advance. Don't want to come back home to a phone bill in the hundreds of dollars!

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On my telephone company's web page, I can find all the different prices for using my mobile phone both at home and abroad. There are even listed "charges from SHIP" (called MCP) - and the prices for sending and receiving text messages are not expensive at all, it is actually much cheaper than expected (but calling or receiving calls on a ship out at sea is very expensive). The prices for sending a text is less than $1,00, and receiving a text cost nothing. I live in Norway and I use of course a Norwegian telephone company - but I am pretty certain the SHIP prices are available for all telephone companies. All though the prices might vary.... (I found the prices for SHIP use listed under the prices for using my cellphone in various countries abroad). And even when my data roaming is turned off, I can still receive and send text messages.

Regarding iPhone - I don't have one so somebody else has to answer that. But my guess is that while the ship is out at sea there will be charges...

Sidenote: I don't believe that the charges depends on what type of phone you are using but which telephone company you have...

Edited by TrumpyNor

We had iPhones in Alaska with AT&T. Used the phones every day to call home when in port and off the ship and had no extra charges. It is part of the USA on our plan. So is Hawaii.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had iPhones in Alaska with AT&T. Used the phones every day to call home when in port and off the ship and had no extra charges. It is part of the USA on our plan. So is Hawaii.

I think the question from the OP is regarding use on the ship when out at sea and not in port...

Turn data off while roaming to avoid the charges at sea. Leave voice on while roaming to send/receive texts (SMS only, no pictures). With Verizon, and I think the other companies are similar, while at sea, texts are .50c for each sent, .05c for each received. And as another said, while in the Alaska ports, for me it was the same as any US call, text, or data download.

Iphone, Android... whatever. It is a phone. Does not matter.

While at sea, if you have data roaming turned off, that will save any big surprises.

If your phone is turned on, you are able to send and receive texts (cheap) and make or receive phone calls at $2.49 per minute.

Whenever you are within range of land towers, you can make calls and texts as normal.

Calls/texts when in Canada are not covered and expensive.

As to imessage, you have to be connected to SOMETHING for that to work.

Hi Jim, we'll be on the same sailing..btw

Be sure to turn cellular data off while at sea, I believe Sun has a cellsite onboard while at sea but rates are more expensive even to text..

On ports, you can use your US phone at the normal rate, but you can use the free wifi on ports as an option to save more when you text via iMessage..

Juneau public library has free wifi, and it is just walking distance from the port..

Hope we all have a great time at the Sun come to June 23....

Edited by roquejo

Use of the Public Library features can be dicey if a lot of ships are making port

call. I know at Ketchikan if you have 4 ships* making port call the Public Library

will initiate a reservation waiting list - you book a time to use the facility and

have a limited amount of time in that window/envelope.

* It is not unusual for 4 ships to be making port call here and infrequently

as many as 6 (4 are berthed at dock and 2 are tending) - Something on the

order of 4 to 8 thousand potential shore going folks. Pedestrian and motor

traffic is at such a level that Ketchikan citizens double up to monitor and

regulate the flow of traffic like school kids doing crossing duty.

But don't let that hold you back from visiting (and using your whatever phone)

the ships docking time is staggered so it is not all the bad.

I don't plan on making any calls unless in one of the ports (Juneau, Skagway or Ketchikan) but do want to send or receive texts while on the ship if necessary.

Can I just turn off data roaming in my settings? Some say that's all that's necessary and others say that additional charges will accrue.

Also, since my sister is on an iPhone like me, will iMessage automatically work without extra charges? Thanks in advance. Don't want to come back home to a phone bill in the hundreds of dollars!

You didn't mention who your cellphone provider is...so I would definitely recommend speaking directly with them first.

We have iphone 5 and our provider is Verizon...we were in Alaska (same ports as you, plus a few others), and here's what we did.

We left out of Vancouver--we stayed in Airplane Mode--unless we had wifi--because anything would have counted as "international"...and that would have been expensive.

On the ship, we STAYED in Airplane Mode--to avoid accidentally tapping into the ship's signal.

In Juneau and Ketchikan, we turned off Airplane Mode and had no problems with our regular cell service...Since it's Alaska and Verizon has unlimited US coverage, we had no additional charges.

BUT...in Skagway...we found that texts did NOT always go--even though it was US. There were 2 other ships in port that day, so I don't know if that impacted our service at all.

While we were at sea, but in US waters, we did occasionally try going out of Airplane Mode to see if we'd get signal for texting...often, we did NOT.

I made one phonecall from Icy Strait Point, had no problem at all and the connection was VERY good...despite the remoteness.

Hope this is helpful...! :)

iPhone to iPhone iMessage will work on wifi. iPhone to android will not work without additional charges. Check with phone company for txt rates. It is not that expensive. In Alaska your iPhone will be 4G or extended service for making calls, it depends on what city you are in. Most ports u should have 4G service which will allow you to call or txt your dad