Uh oh…..need info on travelling with oxygen

tjcletsgo

My BFF and travelling partner are booked an a 10 day Sea of Cortez cruise. My friend has COPD and has just been given the word that she needs to be on oxygen. She’s pretty active so this is quite a shock.

How does this affect our cruise? What does she need to do? Any limitations on where she can go with oxygen? This is all new for all of us. I’m very active and have walked 38 miles this year so the news it a giant bummer. Any info you can provide is much appreciated.:(

. We rent an oxygen concentrator from Special Needs at Sea For use with my husbands CPAP machine. She will need a prescription and also there is a medical release form that will need to be signed by a doc and sent to Princess.it is very common to see people with oxygen on board. Medicare will not cover the cost.

You will need a "portable" concentrator. There are basically 2 types.

If the oxygen is needed for sleep only, you can rent a concentrator or your durable medical equipment provider may provide one for you. This is done in the US only and generally by the BIGs (Apria, Lincare, etc). For sleep it must be a concentrator that can do "continuous flow". The intermittent flow concentrators are not suitable for sleep.

The portable concentrator should be suitable for your specific flow rate and sensitive to your inspiratory effort.

Where can I go?

Airplanes: get one that is approved by the FAA.

Restaurants: no problem

Taking a walk: they have shoulder straps, handles or roller carts

Stay away from any live flame and people who are smoking (at least 5-10 feet).

If your friend is still smoking, she MUST stop. The disease will progress faster if she continues to smoke.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice cruise.

Thanks JT and everyone. I'll call our TA tomorrow and ask her to contact Princess for whatever. My friend has a "backpack" that she will be using.

FWIW, she finally quit about 4 years ago after she was diagnosed with COPD, about 45 years too late. I quit 30 years ago when my mother was diagnosed with oral cancer, just threw my carton of cancer sticks out and never looked back.....what was a miserable final two years for her.

My friend says that all kinds of people get COPD who never smoked (:rolleyes:) but deep down she knows better.......

Thanks JF and everyone. I'll call our TA tomorrow and ask her to contact Princess for whatever. My friend has a "backpack" that she will be using.

FWIW, she finally quit about 4 years ago after she was diagnosed with COPD, about 45 years too late. I quit 30 years ago when my mother was diagnosed with oral cancer, just threw my carton of cancer sticks out and never looked back.....what was a miserable final two years for her.

My friend says that all kinds of people get COPD who never smoked (:rolleyes:) but deep down she knows better.......

Your friend is partially correct, SOME people do get COPD who never smoked, but they have allergies or pneumonia that are not treated, genetic abnormalities and a few other things like heavy smog exposure. But the percentage is way over 80% that were smokers. Don't even think about all the other things smoking causes: heart disease, shortness of breath, lost productivity, the smell, on and on.

But I am not complaining, it gave me an excellent living for 40+ years.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

Your friend is partially correct, SOME people do get COPD who never smoked, but they have allergies or pneumonia that are not treated, genetic abnormalities and a few other things like heavy smog exposure. But the percentage is way over 80% that were smokers. Don't even think about all the other things smoking causes: heart disease, shortness of breath, lost productivity, the smell, on and on.

But I am not complaining, it gave me an excellent living for 40+ years.

I need to say I find this comment offensive and heartless coming from medical profesional. :(

Reader

Thanks JT and everyone. I'll call our TA tomorrow and ask her to contact Princess for whatever. My friend has a "backpack" that she will be using.

tjcletsgo

Your friend is lucky she has you as a friend :)

Reader

I have rented a concentrator from Special Needs at Sea on my last 3 cruises which I use at night in my cabin.

Last November, I had it delivered to my cabin in Venice and picked up in Fort Lauderdale 27 days later... in other words they can accommodate one way cruises as well as round trips.

As for the ship, I had to fax an Rx for the oxygen to Princess's medical department 30 days ahead... no fuss, no muss. I use my own POC onboard as needed.

Have 6 additional cruises booked, one starting from Venice this October on The Regal, another starting from Barcelona next year, as well as 4 RT here in the US.

Special Needs is very easy to work with and I'm quite pleased with the service I've received. Hope this helps...

Edited by kayzmarie

I don't know about the others, but Lincare will not provide equipment for a cruise.

I, also am using oxygen for non COPD reasons. The company that provides my oxygen needs will provide a concentrator but will not allow it to be used out of country. In 2011 I wound up purchasing my own oxygen concentrator.

If you are flying you also must carry on you a letter that must meet the airlines requirement, doctors name, medical facility, liter rate, oxygen concentrator name, the fact that the passenger is familiar with the machine and signed by your personal physician. (May have other requirements, see airlines website for exact info).

One little bit of information most O2 concentrators use lithium-ion batteries. Lithium-ion batteries can not go with your checked luggage, it must board with you. Airlines require you to have 1 1/2 times the number of battery life as the flight. So if you have to fly 5 hours then you must have 7.5 hours worth of batteries. Last year we flew from Seattle to Rome, total 15 hours I brought 12 - 4 hour batteries because we also had travel time to the airport, airport time, flight, arrival in Rome, to hotel then enough to last while everything was being charged. Ended with 2 batteries as freshly charged. One last thing, your pulmonary doctor will more than likely increase your liter rate while flying so batteries will be used up faster than on land or sea.

Edited by born2cruize

I hve a POC for flying. I need it only for flying. Decided to purchase my own as we like to travel to Europe and are gone at 3 weeks. At $200 + per week it was better to have my own. You must have perscription to purchase a POC.

Every time I fly I must have a form from the airline signed by my doctor. You have to call the airline and most of the time send them a copy of the form. Each airline has their own form. You can get this on their website. Each airline has a little different rules. Just get the information from their website. They require you to sit in a window seat. A POC does NOT count as carry-on luggage. I take it off the cart( which goes up in overhead storage, put the POC under the seat. As soon as wheels up I turn it on as it takes 10 minutes to get the the level I need.

I let the cruise line know that I am traveling with a POC but don't need it aboard. If a tour goes up alt. I take my POC. It has been easy to travel with my POC.

Pam

I also live in Seattle and dislike those 15 hours flight days immensely. What I've done in the past is fly direct from Seattle to Boston or New York, spend the night at a hotel near the airport, and then finish the journey the next evening with a direct flight to my European departure port.

Will be doing the same thing this year with flights booked through Princess (eZAir)... Seattle to New York, New York to Venice, and the return flight from Fort Lauderdale to Seattle... cost worked out to a little less than $1000 for all 3 flights.

Much easier on the body dealing with time zones and fewer batteries were needed. I use an Inogen One G2 and have two 24 cell batteries... good for 14-16 hours at 2 LPM. Since I travel by myself, this is pretty much all I can manage plus my ONE carry-on sized suitcase (I do check it since it's free on international flights).

I also request an assist at airports to make it easier getting around and this way I can save my oxygen for the actual flight.

Things can be complicated or simple, so lets try the simple route.

First of all, your prescription is going to be the determining factor for what type of concentrator(s) you need. If you are on oxygen 24/7 you should consider both a standard concentrator and a portable one. In that case, I would suggest renting a concentrator for the ship (from one of their approved sources) and taking a POC with you.

If you do not require oxygen 24/7 and can survive on inhalers and/or nebulizer in the case of emergency, the portable unit should suffice, but take extra inhalers with you

Your prescription – For continuous flow, you are not going to find a small easy to carry unit. I think there is one 10 pound unit made and it is pricey. All those I have used have a little cart and have to be toted. For the pulse flow, they have small units that are only five pounds.

Many of the local suppliers will not rent units for people traveling outside the US because they are suppose to be able to replace/repair the unit if something goes wrong. I get mine through the VA and they will allow it on cruises anyplace because there is a medical facility on board. Medical expenses on board are a different issue. I've used my supplemental insurance and travel insurance.

Flights – Read the airline's unique rules. They all vary slightly. Search the internet for a good boiler plate of the medical statement, print it out and ask your doctor to give you a blanket certificate on the doctor's letter head. Do not use an airlines format! Words of experience: I had a problem on one airline and I handed them another airline's form with my prescription and they would not give me oxygen because it was another airline form. If you do not require oxygen while in flight, make sure your doctor notes that face. The advantage to that statement if the fact that you would not have to take umpteen batteries along.

In regards to the date of your travel certificate and what the airlines expect, that can be an issue. I have heard that FAA says one year, but I honestly do not know. I was recently told by one airline they wanted 90 days. I told her FAA indicates a year and she accepted it (bluffed my way through that). I do not think the date is a major issue, but they have to read their script.

For the cruise, you will have to fill out one of their forms.

Traveling with oxygen is not difficult. A bit annoying having to tote something else along, but I'm not ready to crawl in a hole and their still beautiful things out there to be seen. Do your preliminary work and everything should go well.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

tjcletsgo

Your friend is lucky she has you as a friend :)

Reader

Thank you so much for your kind words. Nina and I have been BFF's for about 50 years, ever since 7th grade. Our children grew up together, we both got divorced and vowed that when our kids were grown we would travel the world. My heart is saddened to accept the fact that it's going to be much harder for my friend now.

I thank God that I quit smoking 30 years ago and am healthy as a horse.......God willing......

Again, thank you for your kind response, and God bless:o

I was told by Medicare that as soon as you board a ship you are considered to be in a foreign country. Medicare will not cover and neither will supplemental insurance.

Not true. there are cruises to Alaska, Hawaii and the American Virgin Islands and they are Part Of America.

And many supplementals will take over where other like medicare leave off. I know ours does.I needed it once. Travel insurance will only pay when all else fails.

Edited by dorisis

Not true. there are cruises to Alaska, Hawaii and the American Virgin Islands and they are Part Of America.

And many supplementals will take over where other like medicare leave off. I know ours does.I needed it once. Travel insurance will only pay when all else fails.

All cruises from the US must stop in a foreign country before returning to the US.

That NCL cruises Hawaii and doesn't have to go out into international waters because the ship is registered in the USA. All other cruise lines, must go to international waters. Nothing about going to another country. I think the key is International waters.

That NCL cruises Hawaii and doesn't have to go out into international waters because the ship is registered in the USA. All other cruise lines, must go to international waters. Nothing about going to another country. I think the key is International waters.

International waters, in and of itself doesn't mean anything. As soon as your cruise ship is past the twelve mile point it's in international waters. The requirement, in its most basic term, is that the ship must stop at a foreign port of call. Don't know if it's still done but a while back vessels going to or from Hawaii stopped at Fanning Island. Our last time we stopped in Ensenada. Alaskan cruises start or end in Vancouver.

It can get a lot more complicated than that. If you are curious google Jones Act.

Edited by Redman1947

All cruises from the US must stop in a foreign country before returning to the US.

Not 100% true. Cruise ships that are foreign registered and sail under a foreign flag must stop in a foreign country before returning to the USA.

The NCL Pride of America is registered to the USA , sails under the USA Flag and is NOT required to sail to a foreign port before returning to the USA.

International waters, in and of itself doesn't mean anything. As soon as your cruise ship is past the twelve mile point it's in international waters. The requirement, in its most basic term, is that the ship must stop at a foreign port of call. Don't know if it's still done but a while back vessels going to or from Hawaii stopped at Fanning Island. Our last time we stopped in Ensenada. Alaskan cruises start or end in Vancouver.

It can get a lot more complicated than that. If you are curious google Jones Act.

The Jones Act applies to foreign registered ships. NCL's Pride of a America is not a foreign Registered . Rather it's registered to the USA and is not required to sail to a foreign port. Check NCL's website for the itinerary.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Travel insurance won't cover these types of things. The medical only kicks in for injury/illness that begins during travel, or treatment for an escalation of a pre-existing condition if your coverage covers pre-existing conditions. O2 in this case would be considered maintenance and as such would not be covered.

Travel insurance won't cover these types of things. The medical only kicks in for injury/illness that begins during travel, or treatment for an escalation of a pre-existing condition if your coverage covers pre-existing conditions. O2 in this case would be considered maintenance and as such would not be

Right. This thread seems to have gone off the subject of oxygen.