Marina culinary kitchen course

DrJW

Is there a standard cost for the cooking courses that are offered on the Marina?

Do all the courses last the same time period...and when are they posted on line so one could see when they are offered [ only on sea days?] and also what is the 'menu' that is being taught?

I'm assuming that unlike the shore excrusions, one cannot sign up for these course until such time when full fare is paid?

Thanks so much for any information you can provide re the above and your personal thoughts about these courses?

J.

Is there a standard cost for the cooking courses that are offered on the Marina?

Do all the courses last the same time period...and when are they posted on line so one could see when they are offered [ only on sea days?] and also what is the 'menu' that is being taught?

I'm assuming that unlike the shore excrusions, one cannot sign up for these course until such time when full fare is paid?

Thanks so much for any information you can provide re the above and your personal thoughts about these courses?

J.

Timing and cost are standard only insofar as the various classes are concerned, and they are posted online as soon as they have been organized by Oceania (i.e the class is officially scheduled).

Because one pays for the Cooking Classes at the time of booking them, one may add Classes to ones Cruise Portfolio as soon as your Cruise Reservation is on file with the Cruise Line.

Use your Booking # to set up an Account on the Oceania Website, then follow the links to see which Classes are being offered during your specific voyage.

On our FP cruise and on our upcoming Baltic cruise, most cooking classes were offered on sea days but there were some that were offered on port days as well. Most were around $69 per course for a class that lasted about 2 hours and involved demonstration, practice of some technique and cooking with most of the ingredients measured and given to each team of 2 (some came as pairs but as a single, I never had a problem finding a partner). Exact recipes and menus were not given ahead of time but descriptions online were pretty accurate. As said above, you can book these before cruise is paid for but I am not sure how refunds go if you ultimately do not take either the course or cruise.

Not offered on either of my cruise are the more $$$ courses where you go to the market on one of the cruise stops to get your ingredients and then cook what you got and more. Sounds great though pricey but not offered for my cruises. I enjoyed my sea day courses even though they are fairly basic so as to serve both people who like to cook and those who are less enthusiastic.

[quote name='tvmovielover;43028068 I am not sure how refunds go if you ultimately do not take either the course or cruise.

If cancelled within the time guidelines you get a full refund for the classes

Not offered on either of my cruise are the more $$$ courses where you go to the market on one of the cruise stops to get your ingredients and then cook what you got and more.

Those classes are listed under the excursions' date=' did you check there?[/b']

Edited by LHT28

WHEN I WENT TO THE 'ALREADY BOOKED' PAGE FOR OCEANIA TO CHECK IF I COULD SIGN UP FOR COOKING CLASSES THIS IS WHAT I SAW:

`````

Culinary packages are not available for this cruise

Culinary Classes

Culinary classes are not available for this cruise

````

DOES THIS MEAN THAT ITS TOO EARLY TO SIGN UP FOR A 12-1-14 CRUISE OR THAT THESE CLASSES WON'T BE OFFERED ON THIS CRUISE..SURE SOUNDS THAT WAY..DISAPPOINTING IF THATS THE CASE! :(

DOES THIS MEAN THAT ITS TOO EARLY TO SIGN UP FOR A 12-1-14 CRUISE OR THAT THESE CLASSES WON'T BE OFFERED ON THIS CRUISE..SURE SOUNDS THAT WAY..DISAPPOINTING IF THATS THE CASE! :(

Just too early

I would call & ask when they will be posted ...I signed up 9 mths out for our cruise

I would think at 6mths ahead they would be listed :confused:

Just too early

I would call & ask when they will be posted ...I signed up 9 mths out for our cruise

I would think at 6mths ahead they would be listed :confused:

Yes, the Classes are not "official" until the Instructors have been contracted for, and as with most activities and excursions the schedules are typically set in stone at nine months out-ish.

If there is no conflict, you will see the schedule at about 9 months out, if there are conflicts it may take a little longer.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive an oldish thread, but is it reasonably normal that classes are not yet available for my January 4 FP cruise on Marina? Any guess when I should check back? Do they fill up so quickly that I need to check especially frequently?

Thanks!

Sorry to revive an oldish thread, but is it reasonably normal that classes are not yet available for my January 4 FP cruise on Marina? Any guess when I should check back? Do they fill up so quickly that I need to check especially frequently?

Thanks!

We're even more delayed. Classes are not yet available for our Lisbon-to-Rio cruise that departs in just over 3 months! And, yes, I've made inquiries as has my TA.

Thanks!

It does not seem to have a set time when they appear for cruises

I would just keep checking

I know I had book in Sept for a May sailing & others have waited until 4 mths prior

You could ask your TA if they have a list of the offerings ..sometimes they do

Lyn

Our cruise sails on 12-1-14..cooking course still not showing up on line. Don't get much of an answer as to why when we call O....Jim/Stan any thoughts as to why? I thought that you had suggested that they contract with instructors nine months out..possibly, I misread your post?

• 4 weeks later...
NC &KY please keep me posted when it shows up for our Lisbon cruise. I have been checking almost every day now as this is something I want to do.

Cooking classes for our cruise departing November 4 just became available for reserving today.

Looks like they are working on a 3 month prior basis for sign ups??

I believe that is a good observation. That was their objective when they first started these classes. I was told by O 90 days was the objective. At that time they were still working toward that.

That said, as JimandStan posted it also depends when they have contracts in place.

They are, or used to be, sold/managed by the excursion dept. a.k.a. Destinations so watch for classes there.

Also Drjw, just because you see "Culinary packages are not available for this cruise', in my experience does not necessarily mean *classes* are not available. There are off-ship culinary excursions that end with an on-ship class and there are the classes themselves.

If there are no classes then there are no excursions but there might be classes but no excursions offered, yet or never.

Check each days activities and the classes just might appear. Also they might offer additional classes once on board if you miss out on booking in advance - you might get lucky with a new offer in Currents once on board.

That won't happen for the excursions though so if you want one of those you need to check often on your 'my booking' page. Don't hesitate, we still regret missing a wonderful excursion by the delay in a mouse click.

Have fun!

If there are no classes then there are no excursions but there might be classes but no excursions offered, yet or never.

Have fun!

for the O class ships the Culinary classes are listed under the Bon Appétit Culinary Classes section in Manage your Trip

The Culinary excursions with classes are listed under the excursions section & may not be offered on all itineraries

I would find it very odd if NO classes are offered on a cruise, we have classes listed for port days as well as sea day for our TA next yr

Bonus! Great to get the planning done early. Did you book any?

This will be our third Riviera cruise but have not yet taken a cooking class. I think we will this time. Anyone taken the pasta class?

Has anyone taken the Red Ginger class? I would like to but am highly allergic to fish so afraid to sign up for this one. Does anyone know what you prepare during this class?

These classes always sell out so I need to decide soon. Husband says he is willing so I do not want him backing out now. (I understand that you prepare with a partner so rather him by my side! :) )

Edited by CintiPam

Perhaps depends on whether Chef Kelly is in charge, though we've enjoyed all of these classes. Most fun was an excursion with Chef Kelly that started with a trip to the Corfu port's main public market with each of receiving 5 Euros to find the best of a particular ingredient for the coming class. We also toured the town. After a break onboard, the class took place that afternoon. We made gyros including pita from scratch, watermelon and feta cheese salad with a honey, olive oil, vinegar and mint dressing, prosciutto-wrapped grilled cheese, fried squash blossoms, and other delicious dishes. Light and late dinner that night!