Disappointed in Comedians

kat2009

I'm just off the Dream a month ago and the Elation yesterday. One comedian on the Dream was "ok" but the other wasn't funny. On the Elation - one wasn't funny at all - nothing prepared just poked fun at a few members of the audience - and the other was funny occasionally. The Adult comedy was so raunchy that a lot of us walked out. Before some of you say I knew what I was getting, there are comedians that use adult subjects but not a liberal use of the "f" word. In my opinion, the George Lopez comedy isn't working.

For the past two cruises I have been on, I haven't even bothered stepping into the comedy club. Lots of people appear to enjoy it, but that type of comedy isn't for me. I don't enjoy profanity at work or home and really don't want to hear it on my vacation. To me it just seems to be the cheap way out of a joke.

I agree, somewhat.

Last year on the ecstacy we had a great time in the comedy club, but this year on Glory, I thought the comedians were not that funny. One was just dull and another one literally used it as a forum for telling people why he didn't like hispanics/other minority groups but dressed it up to seem like it was just jokes.

The guy was black though, so I guess he gets away with it.

I did consider that I'm becoming prudish, and that I don't find 'ghetto' humour funny, nor the use of profanity for the sake of using profanity. It doesn't add to the experience of the show when the guy just isn't funny in the first place.

We loved the comedians on the Miracle!

It is very hard to get everyone to agree about what is "funny" or not. It is also true that every performer has off days when things don't go perfectly.

We went to the adult shows and saw altogether 4 different comedians during our 7 day cruise.

Some shows were funnier than others but we enjoyed all of them. When going to a show listed as "adult" you have to be prepared for anything!!

These days even Broadway shows have language in them that some might consider offensive but that's just the way society is going!

Different strokes!

Oddly enough I find myself agreeing with most of y'all here, and I don't even have an objection to profanity. I found the family friendly comedy shows genuinely funny (at times... hit or miss really), while the adult comedians made liberal use of profanity in order to mask a mediocre routine comprised of low hanging fruit and locker room humor.

Then there are the ones who never change their shows.

We're lucky enough to live near Long Beach and have taken many 3 day cruises. We've seen one comedian so many times we can 'sing along' with his routine.

Last November we went on the Conquest, guess who's there? Lol

For the past two cruises I have been on, I haven't even bothered stepping into the comedy club. Lots of people appear to enjoy it, but that type of comedy isn't for me. I don't enjoy profanity at work or home and really don't want to hear it on my vacation. To me it just seems to be the cheap way out of a joke.

For me, there is a difference between using profanity because it's appropriate and using profanity just because you can. It's like the difference between George Carlin (who didn't shy away from adult subjects or profanity) and Kevin Hart (who throws out f-bombs and everything else regularly for no good reason). I love George Carlin and still find his work relevant and funny as heck. I can't sit through ten minutes of a Kevin Hart performance without wanting to chuck rocks at the TV because he uses profanity just to use it and it's not funny.

I laughed so hard in the comedy club I was crying. For the 4 people I seen on Pride they nailed it and it was a GREAT time each show we went to.

Yes there was foul language, yes there were sexual references, yes there were racial jokes, ect ect. I guess maybe I have a crude sense of humor.

They warn you in the beginning that if you are offended than do not stay for the shows.

I was on the Dream May 4-11 and I thought the guys were very funny. Attended 1 adult show and it seemed to be the same material as regular with the F word inserted a lot. I, too, walked out shortly after it started.

I don't have a problem with adult humor and an occasional use of foul language because if used correctly, it can be very funny. It doesn't offend me, but I just don't find the F word funny when used as a filler.

Edited by oldvato

We have not been to an adult show in many cruises. However every family comedy show we attended was funny and we enjoyed them.

This reminds me of one comedian we saw. We thought he was pretty funny during the "open"!show, so we went to see him at the midnight show. It was the same exact jokes with inserted foul language. We walked out. Had a witty back and forth when he tried to ridicule. Shut him right up.

Oddly enough I find myself agreeing with most of y'all here, and I don't even have an objection to profanity. I found the family friendly comedy shows genuinely funny (at times... hit or miss really), while the adult comedians made liberal use of profanity in order to mask a mediocre routine comprised of low hanging fruit and locker room humor.

This pretty much sums up my verdict for the comedians on the Imagination this past week. We went to the adult show the first night and were not really impressed. We tried one of them the 2nd night hoping that maybe a full set would be better -- not really. My 19-year-old son went to the family show on the 2nd night and said it was better than the adult show the first night. If anyone is going to love raunchy, stupid, locker room humor -- it should be a 19-year-old guy!! So either the adult show was pretty lame or my son is an unusual 19-year-old male.

It seemed like a lot of the jokes were contrived to find a way to use profanity or some other "adult" material rather than actually good material that's more "real" with the adult language and subjects. The bright spot was the one guy's rude jokes about gay men got rid of the obnoxious group that took over our booth. ;)

I've walked out on one dud on Carnival but overall I've been entertained by the comedians. My objection comes to how short they've made the shows not. It's not worth the hassle to sit through a 15 minute routine. I swear they used to be longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually hope alot more people start feeling this way.. Right now each time I go on a cruise its standing room only for the comedy show unless you get there 20 to 30 min ahead of time. If more people dont like it, and dont attend, I may finally go if I dont have to spend a 1/2 hr in line to see a show

The last adult show on our last cruise was in my opinion horrible. Like many have said before, the f bombs were token and unnecessary. Aside from that he wasn't funny, f bombs or not. We walked out.

On another cruise a few years ago we saw a guy that was hilarious for his family routine. We went back later for his adult show, he was good, but it was clear the he was uncomfortable using profanity in his routine and it took away from his humor. I guess he was expected to swear since it was an adult show.

I have to agree. We just got back from the Liberty and the comedians were okay. Happy Cole was the funniest, but the female we had was terrible. We went to both the family friendly and adult shows and I said to my husband that they were just as funny without all the profanity and sex jokes at the family friendly show. Some of them used the "f word" more than others and one got a little too raunchy for me. They do give you the disclaimer, though.

Our host was only around 22 years old and he even seemed embarrassed when he told a dirty joke or had to say, "get the f out." I guess the majority likes that and that's why Carnival is keeping that kind of comedy.

The funniest comedian I ever saw (in Vegas) NEVER used even the word "damn"...I laughed so hard, I cried! My abs hurt for 2 days.....and there was NO profanity of any kind. I'm not adverse to profanity...I cuss all the time!...but truly FUNNY material doesn't need it!

For me, there is a difference between using profanity because it's appropriate and using profanity just because you can..

This. I found the comedians on Conquest funny. I like adult humor, I am an adult. I like movies like American Pie, Bridesmaids, Something about Mary, etc. And don't mind profanity, but if every other word is a curse word, its just unnecessary. I also like the adult humor to be actually FUNNY.

On my last cruise (Celebrity Constellation), the comedian was not really funny at all. I fell asleep for part of it. It seemed like the main part of the act was this strip tease by some dancer lady. I am sure the men in the audience loved it, but it was not really all that. I know its the adult show so I am not really complaining about it being raunchy, but it was not even funny.

With the watered down production shows that Carnival is now providing I have found that the comedy is my go to entertainment on the ship. Sure not every show that I have been to is top shelf but the vast majority were very good.