Thank you Cunard - NOT

Cruachan

My boss is travelling with you and she recieved the same message while at work. I thought something horrible had happened when she told me about the subject line.

However for her it is is an emergency because she just bought a new dress for the cruise!!!

Never call Cunard unresponsive again! I just received an email from Cunard titled "He has all the socks he needs".:eek: They watch, they listen, and-for you Cruachan- are on top of things.:D:D:eek:

OMG! I thought you were kidding, but I just receive the "He has all the socks he needs" e-mail from Cunard! Freaky! :eek::D

I was thinking of booking this cruise (just waiting for a good last-minute price drop so I can afford it) but I will have to think again if the number of formal nights is being reduced. Catastrophe! :rolleyes: :D

not sure whats going on but I have read some reviews of many wanting less and less Formal nights and also on RCI they want to wear shorts in the MDR. I have to ask why is it so many want a relaxed cruise but yet they dont want to sail on a relaxed line like carnival?

not sure whats going on but I have read some reviews of many wanting less and less Formal nights and also on RCI they want to wear shorts in the MDR. I have to ask why is it so many want a relaxed cruise but yet they dont want to sail on a relaxed line like carnival?

I don't think you'll find too many people on here asking for fewer formal nights - indeed, the general consensus seems to be that the reduction in number of formal nights and the relaxation of dress codes has already gone too far.

J

I don't think you'll find too many people on here asking for fewer formal nights - indeed, the general consensus seems to be that the reduction in number of formal nights and the relaxation of dress codes has already gone too far.

J

I have read many reviews on CC , not on the boards however I did read quite a bit of people pushing toward a more relaxed atmosphere but then complain how its not what it used to be. Maybe its me but I think its the passengers of this generation ruining the experience wanting everything to be like a casual liner.

I have read many reviews on CC , not on the boards however I did read quite a bit of people pushing toward a more relaxed atmosphere but then complain how its not what it used to be. Maybe its me but I think its the passengers of this generation ruining the experience wanting everything to be like a casual liner.

My personal opinion is that you get a much more accurate feel for the prevailing preferences, likes, dislikes and general opinion of cruise passengers from reading the board. Too many people, in writing their reviews, either seem to be pursuing some kind of personal agenda (often one of self aggrandisement) or have allowed their review to become too heavily influenced by a single, often rather trivial, negative incident. In reading other people's reviews of cruises that I have been on I frequently have cause to wonder whether the reviewer and I had actually been on the same cruise or not.

J

... In reading other people's reviews of cruises that I have been on I frequently have cause to wonder whether the reviewer and I had actually been on the same cruise or not. J
I often wonder if the "reviewer" has ever actually left the safety of their armchair...

And to answer GrandDaD_DD, I for one do not want to see further relaxation of the Cunard dress-code. Indeed, quite the opposite.

Furthermore, I would like to see it strictly enforced, despite the occasional protestations of innocence, or that old favourite "It's my holiday".

Edited by pepperrn

My personal opinion is that you get a much more accurate feel for the prevailing preferences, likes, dislikes and general opinion of cruise passengers from reading the board. Too many people, in writing their reviews, either seem to be pursuing some kind of personal agenda (often one of self aggrandisement) or have allowed their review to become too heavily influenced by a single, often rather trivial, negative incident. In reading other people's reviews of cruises that I have been on I frequently have cause to wonder whether the reviewer and I had actually been on the same cruise or not.

J

lol, how true. I also feel once someone has cruised a lot ,it becomes a bit boring to them, therefor a not so great review.

I enjoy the formality of Cunard Transatlantic Crossings also. Not so much on cruises but then the great majority of cruises I do on other lines. Interestingly enough, when QE2 entered service, the dress code was very hip, trendy, and informal. Check out some of the advertising from those days and there is a sea of polyester bellbottoms with nary a tux in sight. :eek:

... Interestingly enough, when QE2 entered service, the dress code was very hip, trendy, and informal. Check out some of the advertising from those days and there is a sea of polyester bellbottoms with nary a tux in sight. :eek:
And the stewards wore white "turtle-neck" or "polo-neck" sweaters under their jackets in the early years so I understand :eek: (am I right? I've seen photos that seem to show this... maybe I'm mistaken? Maybe it was intended and never implemented) Edited by pepperrn

And the stewards wore white "turtle-neck" or "polo-neck" sweaters under their jackets in the early years so I understand :eek: (am I right? I've seen photos that seem to show this... )

Yes. Male and female staff had very trendy and, imho, really good looking outfits. But then, in that era, my "Tuxedo" was burgundy velvet with a pink ruffled shirt, Burgundy velvet "bat" tie and burgundy suede/cream patent leather two-tone shoes. With my naturally curly hair grown out to a black curly helmet hairdoo and a pair of Buddy Holley glasses, well watch out girls!:eek::D:D Fortunately, photographic evidence no longer exists.

Yes. Male and female staff had very trendy and, imho, really good looking outfits. But then, in that era, my "Tuxedo" was burgundy velvet with a pink ruffled shirt, Burgundy velvet "bat" tie and burgundy suede/cream patent leather two-tone shoes. With my naturally curly hair grown out to a black curly helmet hairdoo and a pair of Buddy Holley glasses, well watch out girls!:eek::D:D Fortunately, photographic evidence no longer exists.
"UNfortunately" you mean, surely :D :D

(Says a completely bald man, who has photographs of himself as a teenager sitting on a stone at Stonehenge with long hair hanging down almost to his waist :eek: )

Edited by pepperrn

"UNfortunately" you mean, surely :D :D

(Says a completely bald man, who has photographs of himself as a teenager sitting on a stone at Stonehenge with long hair hanging down almost to his waist :eek: )

We were quite stylish, right? The good old days when you could sit on the stones. My Grandparents used to set up picnic lunches on those stones. No sense stopping any more as you can see just about as well from the car driving past.

We were quite stylish, right? The good old days when you could sit on the stones. My Grandparents used to set up picnic lunches on those stones. No sense stopping any more as you can see just about as well from the car driving past.
Couldn't agree with you more. The most over-rated and disappointing tourist trap in the UK.

Whatever was special about them (and they were when they were inches away) has gone now that the closest you are allowed to get is 200 yards from Salisbury Cathedral :mad: .

I tell visitors to allow fifteen minutes in their schedule. Fourteen of which can be spent in the gift shop.

Edited by pepperrn

Just waiting for the next "emergency" now - wonder what it will be. Run out of clotted cream perhaps.

J

My heart skipped a beat there :eek:

Is there any history of this?

Should I plan ahead and bring my own?

We stop at Halifax on the way over; do you think it likely they would have some there?

Perhaps we should have just flown BA after all :D

Couldn't agree with you more. The most over-rated and disappointing tourist trap in the UK.

Whatever was special about them (and they were when they were inches away) has gone now that the closest you are allowed to get is 200 yards from Salisbury Cathedral :mad: .

I tell visitors to allow fifteen minutes in their schedule. Fourteen of which can be spent in the gift shop.

Not true. You can book a stone circle access visit, usually early morning or evening after the regular hours. It's a little more expensive though. Standing in the middle of the stone circle at sunset was one of the highlights of our UK trip last year. Pure magic!

But you still can't touch the stones ;)

Not true. You can book a stone circle access visit, usually early morning or evening after the regular hours. It's a little more expensive though. Standing in the middle of the stone circle at sunset was one of the highlights of our UK trip last year. Pure magic!

But you still can't touch the stones ;)

But unless one is staying overnight it won't help. The ship will likely arrive after and sail before the special access hours.

But unless one is staying overnight it won't help. The ship will likely arrive after and sail before the special access hours.

Yes, not suitable for port days on a cruise. We were touring by land.