Requesting Update on Westerdam's Neptune Lounge

sail7seas

From all the postings on this thread, I am trying to figure out what are the advantages of going to the NL for "breakfast" instead of having your breakfast delivered by room service or going to the Pinnacle Grill.

Do those who choose the NL or Pinnacle Grill going for the opportunity to have conversation with fellow passengers and staff?

My daughter and I have reservations in September and are "late risers" and, on previous trips on other ships, have room service and I enjoy eating on our balcony.

This will be our first trip on a HAL ship.

I get the impression that room service offers the same menu as the Pinnacle Grill or am I incorrect in that assumption?

Thanks to all who can answer my query.

Technically, the room service menu is not the same as the Pinnacle (or main dining room). On the other hand, you can request items from room service that are not on the room service menu and normally they will bring it (you just have to know what to request).

The NL for breakfast has a very limited selection (sort of like a continental buffet breakfast). Its good for light eaters, but not a regular breakfast.

DaveOKC

From all the postings on this thread, I am trying to figure out what are the advantages of going to the NL for "breakfast" instead of having your breakfast delivered by room service or going to the Pinnacle Grill.

Do those who choose the NL or Pinnacle Grill going for the opportunity to have conversation with fellow passengers and staff?

My daughter and I have reservations in September and are "late risers" and, on previous trips on other ships, have room service and I enjoy eating on our balcony.

I get the impression that room service offers the same menu as the Pinnacle Grill or am I incorrect in that assumption?

It's a matter of personal preference.

For years, we had coffee and a croissant or other nibble from Neptune Lounge while we 'woke up' and then would enjoy Room Service breakfast. We particularly liked it on Maasdam when they would wheel a service cart that converted to a round table into our suite. It was set with white cloth and lovely flatware and stemware. Flowers on the table and our breakfast choices presented beautifully. Then Maasdam stopped using those carts. Other ships did not use them but we sailed Maasdam a great deal so got to enjoy it often.

Then DH decided he liked going to Pinnacle more. He was more comfortable, enjoyed the pretty setting, the view and service. Most of the time we would have coffee and again some fruit or a roll while we dressed and go to Pinnacle.

It's only a matter of what you like and what time you get up for the day. :)

Technically, the room service menu is not the same as the Pinnacle (or main dining room). On the other hand, you can request items from room service that are not on the room service menu and normally they will bring it (you just have to know what to request).

The NL for breakfast has a very limited selection (sort of like a continental buffet breakfast). Its good for light eaters, but not a regular breakfast.

DaveOKC

You put it well.

Neptune has cold foods and nice selection of continental buffet type breakfast/lunch but no hot foods except for beverages.

DaveOKC

Dave, many thanks for your answer.

My daughter would choose lox and bagels and cream cheese every morning, I do believe! LOL!

She does like to have her coffee "first" thing, so I told her she would need to comb her hair before going to the NL! Truth be told, she does not have any hair to comb (very short)!

Again, I am still trying to figure out why passengers choose to go to the NL for "food".

Is it to have interaction with other humans? Seriously?

If they are "light eaters", could they not just order "light" room service?

>SNIP<

Again, I am still trying to figure out why passengers choose to go to the NL for "food".

It is VERY convenient :)

I need/want a coffee the instant I wake up.

For us, we grab a little nibble and coffee to enjoy in the cabin, and can prepare to go out for more to eat if we want. A "first breakfast" kind of thing. Then we don't have to worry about being in the shower, or for some reason away from the cabin, when room service is delivered. Just a lot easier for us than ordering room service. And I'm happy 'cuz I've already had some coffee ;)

Edited by CowPrincess

My daughter would choose lox and bagels and cream cheese every morning, I do believe! LOL!

She does like to have her coffee "first" thing, so I told her she would need to comb her hair before going to the NL! Truth be told, she does not have any hair to comb (very short)!

Room Service you wait varying lengths of time for delivery (usually reasonably prompt) but NL you go when you wish. Sometimes I don't know if I want a bran muffin or a croissant. :) I can look at each and see which appeals to me. :o

It is VERY convenient :)

I need/want a coffee the instant I wake up.

For us, we grab a little nibble and coffee to enjoy in the cabin, and can prepare to go out for more to eat if we want. A "first breakfast" kind of thing. Then we don't have to worry about being in the shower, or for some reason away from the cabin, when room service is delivered. Just a lot easier for us than ordering room service. And I'm happy 'cuz I've already had some coffee ;)

OK, so it is for the convenience.

Now, so I don't have to search through all the postings, what time does the NL open in the morning, please?

Because it's like a car wreck, and it's interesting to see what what petty things people need to find to fill up their time with. Perhaps you should be less worried about my comments and more concerned if you could find the exact same food items on the exact same place on every HAL ship, truly important

So the only reason to come back is to insult others? You didn't mention that before. Now we know that's how you choose to fill your time. Very nice!

First, it is very quick and easy. Second, the coffee there is better than room service (IMO). Plus there is a cappuccino there to make your own. Third, I often grab a few things to snack on later. Fourth, the selection of items (for light eaters) is better than room service and you can select your own Danish, donuts, etc.

There is very little interaction with others in the NL, so that is not the reason.

I think the NL opens around 7 am.

Edited by DaveOKC

First, it is very quick and easy. Second, the coffee there is better than room service (IMO). Plus there is a cappuccino there to make your own. Third, I often grab a few things to snack on later. Fourth, the selection of items (for light eaters) is better than room service and you can select your own Danish, donuts, etc.

There is very little interaction with others in the NL, so that is not the reason.

Now, I am getting it, I think?

My daughter is very particular about her coffee, so I think this will get her attention!

OK, so it is for the convenience.

Now, so I don't have to search through all the postings, what time does the NL open in the morning, please?

Convenience, and all that DaveOKC said, and it is quiet. If you knew me, you'd understand my need for pre-coffee quiet :D

IIRC it usually opens around 7 or 7:30. On disembark day, I think it was earlier than that. It may have been earlier on our day in Skagway, as well, as we docked pretty early AND a number of pax left to start their land tour. But I wasn't up until 7ish, so am really only speculating....

My daughter is very particular about her coffee, so I think this will get her attention!

How does one transport the coffee from the NL to your cabin (without spilling it)?

How does one transport the coffee from the NL to your cabin (without spilling it)?

First day, go to the Exploration Café and buy a HAL thermal coffee mug! I bring mine on every cruise and will be buying Mom one this time. We are right across the hallway from the NL and it will be lovely to fill the mug twice (and yes, if people are waiting, I dispense one cup, then go back to the end of the line) and take it back across the hall.

As to why people eat there, I can only speak for myself. I don't normally have breakfast there, we usually eat in the Pinnacle. But on an early excursion day, we will run in there for a quick bite before we go. We most often eat lunch in the NL as three large meals per day is just too much.

Mom will be 86 on this cruise and for her to be able to literally have access to a drink or something to eat within 10-15 steps from her doorway is going to be a huge bonus. She gets around well, but does get tired from long walks and standing in lines. Plus, anything that make her feel special and pampered is okay in my book and she deserves it. It's been a terribly rough year for her (and me).

Edited by magandab

We rarely have breakfast in the Neptune Lounge. About the only time we do eat there is if we have an early tour and the Pinnacle doesn't open until 7:30 on port days.

Room service is a different menu from that in the main dining room/ Pinnacle.

New Breakfast Cabin Menu (from Crew News - June 1, 2013)

Preferred Time Frame

6 AM - 6:30 AM; 6:30 - 7 AM; 7 AM - 7:30 AM; 7:30 AM - 8 AM; 8 AM - 8:30 AM; 8:30 AM - 9 AM; 9 AM - 9:30 AM; 9:30 AM - 10 AM

Juices

Grapefruit; Orange:; Cranberry; V-8; Prune, Tomato

Fresh Fruit & Yogurt

Half Grapefruit; Sliced Bananas; Sliced Oranges; Mixed Fruit; Seasonal Melons; Stewed Prunes; Plain Yogurt; Fruit Yogurt; Greek Yogurt

Bakery

English Muffin(1); White Toast(2); Wheat Toast(2); Rye Toast(2); Danish(1); Croissant(2); Blueberry Muffin(1); Bran Muffin(1); Bagel (1)

Cereals

Corn Flakes; Special K; Cheerios; Raisin Bran; Granola; Fruit Loops; Frosted Flakes; Rice Krispies; Shredded Wheat

With: Milk; 2% Milk; Skim Milk; Soy Milk

Two Eggs

Scrambled; Sunnyside Up; Over Easy; Poached; Hard Boiled

Omelettes

Cheese; Ham & Cheese; Vegetable & Cheese

Egg Substitute

Scrambled; Cheese Omelette; Vegetable & Cheese Omelette

Egg White

Scrambles; Cheese Omelette; Vegetable & Cheese Omelette

Sides

Ham Slices(2); Sausage Links(2); Bacon Strips(2); Veggie Links(2); Turkey Links(2); Turkey Bacon(2)

Condiments

Assorted Jams; Half & Half; Honey; Butter; Margarine; Cream Cheese; Peanut Butter; Ketchup; Tabasco; Nutella; Orange Marmalade

Beverages

Regular Coffee; Decaf Coffee; Tea; Decaf Tea; Hot Chocolate; Milk; 2% Milk; Skim Milk; Soy Milk

If you can wait until the main dining room opens -- usually 7:30 on port days and 8 on sea days, you can write in anything you want like Eggs Benedict. Waffles, Chocolate croissants, etc.

Your daughter should also try out the Explorations Cafe. It's coffee is much superior to that served in the Neptune Lounge, IMO.

The convenience of the Neptune Lounge is that it offers a buffet of cold items that you can serve yourself. Because it is open to only a small number of passengers, you rarely will have to deal with anyone else. There are tables for you to sit and enjoy your selections, along with a television and some of the latest newspapers for you to read. You will quickly find that very few passengers do that. For us, the Neptune Lounge was the least sociable place on the entire ship, and I have never read anyone describe it as a social hot spot. You will find that most passengers just drop in and grab what they want and then head back to their cabins. Some use the stainless steel tray under their ice bucket to carry their items. I think that most passengers go there simply because they can.

If you and your daughter do find your way to the Explorations Cafe, you will discover that many of the food items in the Neptune Lounge also make an appearance at the Explorations Cafe. There in one type of cinnamon bun though that is only served at the Explorations, and it is in high demand so get there early. Keep in mind that all food stuffs at the Explorations are complimentary.

Edited by cbr663
typo

New Breakfast Cabin Menu (from Crew News - June 1, 2013)

Preferred Time Frame

6 AM - 6:30 AM; 6:30 - 7 AM; 7 AM - 7:30 AM; 7:30 AM - 8 AM; 8 AM - 8:30 AM; 8:30 AM - 9 AM; 9 AM - 9:30 AM; 9:30 AM - 10 AM

Juices

Grapefruit; Orange:; Cranberry; V-8; Prune, Tomato

Fresh Fruit & Yogurt

Half Grapefruit; Sliced Bananas; Sliced Oranges; Mixed Fruit; Seasonal Melons; Stewed Prunes; Plain Yogurt; Fruit Yogurt; Greek Yogurt

Bakery

English Muffin(1); White Toast(2); Wheat Toast(2); Rye Toast(2); Danish(1); Croissant(2); Blueberry Muffin(1); Bran Muffin(1); Bagel (1)

Cereals

Corn Flakes; Special K; Cheerios; Raisin Bran; Granola; Fruit Loops; Frosted Flakes; Rice Krispies; Shredded Wheat

With: Milk; 2% Milk; Skim Milk; Soy Milk

Two Eggs

Scrambled; Sunnyside Up; Over Easy; Poached; Hard Boiled

Omelettes

Cheese; Ham & Cheese; Vegetable & Cheese

Egg Substitute

Scrambled; Cheese Omelette; Vegetable & Cheese Omelette

Egg White

Scrambles; Cheese Omelette; Vegetable & Cheese Omelette

Sides

Ham Slices(2); Sausage Links(2); Bacon Strips(2); Veggie Links(2); Turkey Links(2); Turkey Bacon(2)

Condiments

Assorted Jams; Half & Half; Honey; Butter; Margarine; Cream Cheese; Peanut Butter; Ketchup; Tabasco; Nutella; Orange Marmalade

Beverages

Regular Coffee; Decaf Coffee; Tea; Decaf Tea; Hot Chocolate; Milk; 2% Milk; Skim Milk; Soy Milk

If you can wait until the main dining room opens -- usually 7:30 on port days and 8 on sea days, you can write in anything you want like Eggs Benedict. Waffles, Chocolate croissants, etc.

You got my attention right there! Eggs Benedict and chocolate Croissants!

Am I to assume correctly the menu you posted is for the Pinnacle Grill (or the MDR?).

Years ago, my DH came up with the idea of using the small round tray that sits beneath the ice bucket in every cabin. It is the perfect size for two cups of coffee and a small plate of Danish, muffins or whatever. This has been posted on CC many times and lots of people now do that. :)

Neptune hours are usually 7 A.M. to 8 P.M.

Am I to assume correctly the menu you posted is for the Pinnacle Grill (or the MDR?).

Duh! I am sorry. I just re-read the heading of your posted menu and see it is "cabin" menu.

No... KK indicated that is the new cabin room service breakfast menu. :)

Years ago, my DH came up with the idea of using the small round tray that sits beneath the ice bucket in every cabin. It is the perfect size for two cups of coffee and a small plate of Danish, muffins or whatever. This has been posted on CC many times and lots of people now do that. :)

Neptune hours are usually 7 A.M. to 8 P.M.

Only difficulty I can see is you need to "juggle" the tray and your room card?

It worked great for him for well over 60 or more cruises since they started using those trays. Many others do fine with it also. Just a suggestion. If it doesn't work for you, fine. ;) Don't use it. :D You could also think of setting the tray on the floor for a moment and inserting your card if you are unable to manage with one hand.

It's only a mention of what some of us do. No need for you to do the same. Only trying to answer your questions and be helpful. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Your daughter should also try out the Explorations Cafe. It's coffee is much superior to that served in the Neptune Lounge, IMO.

The convenience of the Neptune Lounge is that it offers a buffet of cold items that you can serve yourself. Because it is open to only a small number of passengers, you rarely will have to deal with anyone else. There are tables for you to sit and enjoy your selections, along with a television and some of the latest newspapers for you to read. You will quickly find that very few passengers do that. For us, the Neptune Lounge was the least sociable place on the entire ship, and I have never read anyone describe it as a social hot spot. You will find that most passengers just drop in and grab what they want and then head back to their cabins. Some use the stainless steel tray under their ice bucket to carry their items. I think that most passengers go there simply because they can.

If you and your daughter do find your way to the Explorations Cafe, you will discover that many of the food items in the Neptune Lounge also make an appearance at the Explorations Cafe. There in one type of cinnamon bun though that is only served at the Explorations, and it is in high demand so get there early. Keep in mind that all food stuffs at the Explorations are complimentary.

Wonderful information and shall be forwarding it to her.

It worked great for him for well over 60 or more cruises since they started using those trays. Many others do fine with it also. Just a suggestion. If it doesn't work for you, fine. ;) Don't use it. :D You could also think of setting the tray on the floor for a moment and inserting your card if you are unable to manage with one hand.

It's only a mention of what some of us do. No need for you to do the same. Only trying to answer your questions and be helpful. :)

You have been VERY helpful (as have many others).

CC is such a wonderful source of information!

That may be but be aware that the coffee drinks in the Exploration Café carry an extra charge. Additionally, while the goodies are free, there have been quite a few reports of people being denied them if they were not also purchasing a drink.