Requesting Update on Westerdam's Neptune Lounge

sail7seas

That may be but be aware that the coffee drinks in the Exploration Café carry an extra charge. Additionally, while the goodies are free, there have been quite a few reports of people being denied them if they were not also purchasing a drink.

Forewarned is forearmed! Thanks!

You got my attention right there! Eggs Benedict and chocolate Croissants!

Am I to assume correctly the menu you posted is for the Pinnacle Grill (or the MDR?).

At the top of the post -- it states that it is the Cabin menu.

The one for dining room / Pinnacle is different.

Dining Room Breakfast Menu (Also in the Pinnacle for PS and Neptune Suite Passengers)

Something Simple:

Cold Cereals: Cornflakes - Cheerios - Special K - Raisin Bran - Shredded Wheat - Rice Krispies - Frosted Flakes - Fruit loops - Granola - All Bran - Bran Flakes -- served with your choice of milk -- add sliced banana on request.

Breakfast Parfait - layers of creamy Greek yogurt, fresh berries and granola

Hot Cereals: Old-Fashioned Oatmeal - Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal - Cream of Wheat - Creamy Grits -- served with sliced banana, raisins, brown sugar, maple syrup, milk, or half & half on request

Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich - scrambles egg and Cheddar cheese served on a toasted English muffin.

Add sausage patty, hickory smoked bacon or ham slice on request.

Bagel and Lox - a freshly toasted bagel served with slices of cold smoked salmon, cream cheese, sliced onion and capers.

Greenhouse Spa Selections:

Cottage Cheese and Fresh Fruit - a small bowl of creamy cottage cheese lightly dusted with cinnamon, served with your choice of sliced banana, strawberries, blueberries or diced melon.

Swiss-Style Muesli - a mixture of low fat yogurt, fresh fruit, milk, toasted hazel-nuts, oatmeal and honey.

Frittata Italiana - healthy without sacrificing flavor, egg whites combined with low-fat cream cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil, then lightly baked and served with whole grain toast.

International Classics:

All American Breakfast - two jumbo eggs, cooked to order, served with hash browns, hickory smoked bacon or sausage and toast.

Eggs Benedict - toasted English muffins, layered with Canadian bacon, two poached eggs and hollandaise sauce.

Eggs Royal - toasted English muffins, smoked salmon and two poached eggs with creamy hollandaise sauce.

Eggs Florentine - toasted English muffins, topped with sauteed spinach and two poached eggs draped with hollandaise sauce.

Corned Beef Hash and Eggs - home-made corned beef hash topped with two eggs cooked to order and served with a side of toast.

Kippered Herring - served with two scrambled eggs and smothered onions.

Dutch Breakfast - the Uitmijter, a classic open-faced sandwich with thick white bread, sliced ham, Gouda, and two eggs sunny side up.

Japanese Breakfast - hot miso soup, steamed white rice, tamagoyaki and boiled salmon served with a cup of hot green tea.

The Full English Breakfast - two jumbo eggs scrambled, English banger sausage, English back bacon, baked beans, hash browns and a grilled half tomato.

Scandinavian Breakfast - smoked salmon and pickled herring, served with hard-boiled egg and slices of dark rye bread.

Three Egg Omelets:

All omelets are served with hash browns and toast. Egg whites or egg substitute available on request.

Denver Omelet - green bell pepper, onion, ham and a mixture of Cheddar, Monterey Jack and Swiss cheese.

Garden Vegetable Omelet - tender asparagus, sauteed spinach, diced tomato and sliced button mushrooms with creamy goat cheese.

Southwest Omelet - diced sweet roasted bell peppers, tomato, green onion, and Monterey Jack cheese, topped with avocado, sour cream and fresh salsa.

My Choice Omelet - build your own omelet with any of the following: ham, bacon, sausage, smoked salmon, mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, asparagus, Cheddar, Jack, Swiss, goat or Gruyere cheese.

Hot Off the Griddle:

Belgium Waffle - thick, crisp Belgium waffle topped with your choice of warm strawberries, apple-cinnamon or plum compote.

Cinnamon-Sugar French Toast - thick slices of egg bread French toast, dusted with cinnamon-sugar. Served with whipped butter and hot maple syrup.

Stack of Pancakes - three fluffy pancakes stacked high. your choice of buttermilk, banana or blueberry. Served with whipped butter and hot maple syrup.

From the Bakery: toast - English Muffin - Bagel - Roll

Baked Fresh Daily: Butter Croissant - Chocolate Croissant - Raisin Bun - Cheese Danish - Fruit Danish - Danish of the Day - Blueberry Muffin - Muffin of the Day - Coffee Cake. Served with butter, margarine, jam, jelly honey, Nutella or cream cheese on request. Fresh baked sugar-free pastries upon request.

On the Side:

Hickory Smoked Bacon - English Bangers - Pork Sausage Links or Patty - Carved Honey Glazed Ham - Corned Beef Hash - Turkey Bacon - Turkey Sausage links - Morningstar Farms Vegi Links - Hash Browns.

Fruits and Yogurts: Fresh Fruit Plate - Half Grapefruit - Sliced Banana - Stewed Prunes, Apricots or Kadota Figs - Assorted Yogurts

Beverages: Coffee - Tea - Decaffeinated Coffee and Tea - Whole, Low Fat and Skim Milk - Chocolate Milk - Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice - Apple Juice - Cranberry Juice - Grapefruit juice - Grape Juice - Pineapple Juice - Prune Juice - Tomato Juice - V-8

However, the many varieties of Eggs Benedict and the chocolate croissants are available in the Pinnacle and MDR as well. Especially in the Pinnacle if you don't see what you want, ask for it and they will probably bring it to you. I'm getting hungry and I'm trying to lose just a few pounds before we go! LOL

Your daughter should also try out the Explorations Cafe. It's coffee is much superior to that served in the Neptune Lounge, IMO.

The convenience of the Neptune Lounge is that it offers a buffet of cold items that you can serve yourself. Because it is open to only a small number of passengers, you rarely will have to deal with anyone else. There are tables for you to sit and enjoy your selections, along with a television and some of the latest newspapers for you to read. You will quickly find that very few passengers do that. For us, the Neptune Lounge was the least sociable place on the entire ship, and I have never read anyone describe it as a social hot spot. You will find that most passengers just drop in and grab what they want and then head back to their cabins. Some use the stainless steel tray under their ice bucket to carry their items. I think that most passengers go there simply because they can.

If you and your daughter do find your way to the Explorations Cafe, you will discover that many of the food items in the Neptune Lounge also make an appearance at the Explorations Cafe. There in one type of cinnamon bun though that is only served at the Explorations, and it is in high demand so get there early. Keep in mind that all food stuffs at the Explorations are complimentary.

I'm a cinnamon bun aficionado so I want to try them. any pictures?

I just devoted a lot of time reading this entire thread ... I don't find it petty at all.

Well, maybe a couple petty posts, complaining about the thread. :rolleyes:

DH and I were disappointed in the NL offerings aboard Westerdam this past March.

We had cruised on Nieuw Amsterdam twice in 2013 and loved the NL on that ship. In fact, often we had a light lunch in the NL, enjoying the mini sandwiches and fruit.

What a surprise to is, this year, to see a far less impressive NL on Westerdam. We had heard the rumors, but then some posters said the sideboard had returned. Not so.

When I questioned the concierge on the change, it caused quite a stir. I had a couple calls to my cabin from higher-ups, apologizing for the status of the NL and explaining that during drydock the situation would be remedied when a new sideboard would be installed.

I was surprised at the reaction to my question - I did not complain or carry on.

There are things that are important to some and not others. I may not care about pillow chocolates and wouldn't miss them if they discontinued leaving them - but others would be disappointed. I wouldn't belittle someone who feels that way, just because I don't share the sentiment. Not that narcissistic, I guess. :p

I just devoted a lot of time reading this entire thread ... I don't find it petty at all.

Well, maybe a couple petty posts, complaining about the thread. :rolleyes:

DH and I were disappointed in the NL offerings aboard Westerdam this past March.

We had cruised on Nieuw Amsterdam twice in 2013 and loved the NL on that ship. In fact, often we had a light lunch in the NL, enjoying the mini sandwiches and fruit.

What a surprise to is, this year, to see a far less impressive NL on Westerdam. We had heard the rumors, but then some posters said the sideboard had returned. Not so.

When I questioned the concierge on the change, it caused quite a stir. I had a couple calls to my cabin from higher-ups, apologizing for the status of the NL and explaining that during drydock the situation would be remedied when a new sideboard would be installed.

I was surprised at the reaction to my question - I did not complain or carry on.

There are things that are important to some and not others. I may not care about pillow chocolates and wouldn't miss them if they discontinued leaving them - but others would be disappointed. I wouldn't belittle someone who feels that way, just because I don't share the sentiment. Not that narcissistic, I guess. :p

Thank you, Oceanwench.

Now that I will be sailing solo it is more important to me than ever.

If someone else doesn't care about it, fine. Some (many ?) of us do care and expect the same as we have available on the other 14 ships in the fleet. Consistency is important and knowing what to expect allows us to make the right choices for us.

If someone else doesn't care about it, fine. Some (many ?) of us do care and expect the same as we have available on the other 14 ships in the fleet. Consistency is important and knowing what to expect allows us to make the right choices for us.

I absolutely agree. We've only had a Neptune suite once, but knowing what we enjoyed in the NL, I would not book one on the Westerdam. If you're paying the big bucks, you want to know beforehand that things will be the same as you enjoyed before! I must say, though, that our cruise on the Ryndam in a Neptune suite was the only cruise where I have actually gained weight - so perhaps it's just as well that we only did it the once!

See Crew News post #11 on his thread "Day #1 on the Way to Juneau"

He explains that the difference in Westerdam's NL is due to the particular public health inspector's findings and remedies. Appears to explain why HAL's hands are tied in relation to this ship as opposed to other ships.

Still can't fathom why some find this so crucial to the enjoyment of their cruise and say they won't sail her for this issue. See Sail's thread "it's just a cruise.."

Brazilgirl's review had only raves and the pictures she posted showed lots of food choices and it all looked good and well-presented.

Edited by pv girl
add more

After more digging, I learned that the new sneeze guard was manufactured but when drydock happened, it could not be located. The ships Carpentry Shop can build the cabinet but cannot cut the required plexiglass. A new sneeze guard has been ordered and will be installed as soon as possible.

After installation, it must be inspected by the Inspector that wrote the violation before it can be used.

It must be noted that one of the deficiencies was that those seated on the sofas by the sidebar would expose their hair to the displayed pastries. When HAL offered to just move the sofas, the Inspector told them that passengers would then be able to approach the food from the other side of the sneeze guard which was not acceptable.

I am just trying to collect whatever info I can and have no way of determining its validity.

After more digging, I learned that the new sneeze guard was manufactured but when drydock happened, it could not be located. The ships Carpentry Shop can build the cabinet but cannot cut the required plexiglass. A new sneeze guard has been ordered and will be installed as soon as possible.

After installation, it must be inspected by the Inspector that wrote the violation before it can be used.

It must be noted that one of the deficiencies was that those seated on the sofas by the sidebar would expose their hair to the displayed pastries. When HAL offered to just move the sofas, the Inspector told them that passengers would then be able to approach the food from the other side of the sneeze guard which was not acceptable.

I am just trying to collect whatever info I can and have no way of determining its validity.

There are 15 ships in the fleet.

There are 15 Neptune Lounges.

It is hard to accept that in over a year, HAL has been unable to provide the same acceptable arrangement that has been inspected repeatedly on the other ships in the fleet and cannot get it 'fixed'. It defies logic for this to be 'reasonable'. They have not wanted to fix it for whatever their reason..... we can only speculate as to what that is.

It's enough with excuses. Fix it.

See Crew News post #11 on his thread "Day #1 on the Way to Juneau"

He explains that the difference in Westerdam's NL is due to the particular public health inspector's findings and remedies. Appears to explain why HAL's hands are tied in relation to this ship as opposed to other ships.

Still can't fathom why some find this so crucial to the enjoyment of their cruise and say they won't sail her for this issue. See Sail's thread "it's just a cruise.."

Brazilgirl's review had only raves and the pictures she posted showed lots of food choices and it all looked good and well-presented.

My DH was in the NL on the Westerdam the day of this fateful inspection (March 2013). From what he could overhear, he told me exactly what Crew News is now reporting about the inspector and HAL officers conversations and actions. The way the sofa backed up to the Sidebar was discussed heavily by the Inspector.

To PV Girl - In the beginning, there was a significant difference between what was offered (when we were there and for many months after) and what is now being reported as offerings. It has been, to say the least, a very long process.

There are 15 ships in the fleet.

There are 15 Neptune Lounges.

It is hard to accept that in over a year, HAL has been unable to provide the same acceptable arrangement that has been inspected repeatedly on the other ships in the fleet and cannot get it 'fixed'. It defies logic for this to be 'reasonable'. They have not wanted to fix it for whatever their reason..... we can only speculate as to what that is.

It's enough with excuses. Fix it.

Exactly! Enough with the pathetic excuses.:D

• 2 weeks later...
That may be but be aware that the coffee drinks in the Exploration Café carry an extra charge. Additionally, while the goodies are free, there have been quite a few reports of people being denied them if they were not also purchasing a drink.

Amy, I don't know if this has been asked and answered but I want to get the dog at the bottom of the page, please tell me how to put it on my signature. I've been busy playing with it and not doing my job. I love it!!!! How do I get him? Please share!

Amy, I don't know if this has been asked and answered but I want to get the dog at the bottom of the page, please tell me how to put it on my signature. I've been busy playing with it and not doing my job. I love it!!!! How do I get him? Please share!

Here you go!

http://abowman.com/google-modules/dog/

I'm wondering how close we live together as I'm in Southern CA too

Here you go!

http://abowman.com/google-modules/dog/

I'm wondering how close we live together as I'm in Southern CA too

Thanks Amy, I love him. I'm having so much fun playing with him. I live in the San Fernando Valley which is not that far from you. You're on the route to Vegas. I can't tell you how many times we've stopped in the Green Tree Inn on our way to Vegas. They make the best sandwiches [or, at least they used to.] My parents used to stop there in the 70's on their travels to Vegas too!!!

Sorry to temporarily hijack the thread. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley (or as it was known The Valley) and graduated from Van Nuys High back in the day.

Yep! I could have guessed you were a "Valley Girl!"

Back to cruising. On my bucket list is to cruise on the Rotterdam, I see you'll be on her soon. Please come back and tell us all about it!

Can't believe that they lost the sneeze guard that was specially made for the Westerdam.