Early Disembarkation Q

luv2travel100

Doing a Baltics cruise this August on the Marina. On the final day, we arrive in Amsterdam but have the whole day to tour the city before returning to the ship for the final night, with disembarkation the following morning.

A friend of mine has offered to put us up that last night and to drive us to the airport in the morning. I called Oceania about getting off the ship early and was told to have my travel agent request an "early" disembarkation. The O phone rep said those requests go through their security department and are usually granted, but must be requested well in advance of the cruise.

Here's my question. I asked the O rep how luggage gets handled and was told usually it leaves when you do. I asked about being able to pick up the luggage later in the day after sightseeing and was told I have to make that request, but the rep wouldn't say how likely that was to be granted.

Have any of you taken an early disembarkation and been allowed to leave your luggage on board until later in the day?

Thanks for your help!

There is another thread on people requesting early disembarkation you might check there

If the ship is overnighting in port why not just request a later time in the day that you are wanting to leave the ship

I used the search box before posting the question and didn't see another thread. I just want back to April of this year and didn't see it either. Could you post a link to it:)?

Sounds like a very good idea to request an early disembarkation for a time in the late afternoon, assuming they'll let us do that......

I used the search box before posting the question and didn't see another thread. I just want back to April of this year and didn't see it either. Could you post a link to it:)?

Sounds like a very good idea to request an early disembarkation for a time in the late afternoon, assuming they'll let us do that......

The other thread which you wanted to read may be found here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2046195

As for leaving your Luggage at the ship, it's not something which I would suggest doing, because after you have once exited the Cruise Terminal, getting back into the Secure Customs Area to claim your cases can be very, very difficult.

Amsterdam is not a Port where the Customs Agents are kindly disposed to unusual circumstances. I'd suggest that you try to fly under their radar as much as possible. :o

We requested, and received, early disembarkation in Rio. When we walked off to wander the 1st day in Rio, apparently our cruise cards got cancelled.

We returned to the ship and were allowed back on with some difficulty. Then our room keys didn't work. We got into the room and would not leave until our planned disembarkation that first day, Ate with room service and took our luggage to leave.

If you don't take your luggage with you, you may have extreme difficulty getting back to get it. Oceania will assume no responsibility for it.

I guess the worse case would be store your luggage at the train station... a short walk from the port if your friends are not picking you up until later in the day

I could understand having a problem getting off if the ship was not overnighting at the disembarkation port but you are getting off the next morning anyway

:confused: JMO