Carnival Valor crew member arrested in St Kitts

Salacia

I repeat, how can one be charged so fast? Even with murder investigations, a person isn't charged that fast. Brought in for questioning, but without full blown evidence, how can one be charged?

Are you basing this question on US law?

I repeat, how can one be charged so fast? Even with murder investigations, a person isn't charged that fast. Brought in for questioning, but without full blown evidence, how can one be charged?

How do you know there isn't evidence? DNA is not the only evidence in a rape case. For all we know he admitted to it which would be enough for a charge. Probable cause is all that's needed for an arrest.

The articla has so little information it is hard to even speculate. For all we know it has been an ongoing investigation. Too much that could have happened that we do not know about.

Keep in mind that this didn't happen in the US. It happened in St.Kitts which falls under completely different laws. Not all countries are under the "Innocent until proven guilty" laws.

Keep in mind that this didn't happen in the US. It happened in St.Kitts which falls under completely different laws. Not all countries are under the "Innocent until proven guilty" laws.

This is very true. All of us need to keep that in mind.

Very few countries use the US way of innocent until proven guilty.

In fact for most of the world (if you go by population) you are guilty until proven innocent. That is why when you are arrested in one of these countries it can take years to get to a trial. The trial is merely a formality in determining the sentence, so why rush. I am always amazed when tourists from western nations go to other countries and don't get this concept and end up doing something really stupid.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

they certainly not going to let him leave on the ship and not come back while they investigate.. A lot of the Carb. countries you need to -prove you are innocent not like Canada or USA court system where we need to prove you are guilty. Not unusual that they hold this person in the country where arrested until proven innocent. If this event happened in thier waters it is thier rules

I find it interesting that if it happened on the ship why the FBI is not investigating the offense. According to U.S and International law the FBI has jurisdiction over any crimes that occur to a U.S. Citizen aboard a ship that leaves and returns to a U.S. port. But that is me assuming that the victim is a U.S citizen. Regardless I am glad he has been taken into custody to keep anyone else from being his victim. Safe and Happy sailing.

An update from the local press in St Kitts can be found here http://www.winnfm.com/news/local/8751-police-confirm-arrest-of-cruise-ship-crew-member-for-sexual-offence

And here is the official press release from St Kitts Police: http://www.sknvibes.com/news/newsdetails.cfm/87678

Edited by Salacia

I find it interesting that if it happened on the ship why the FBI is not investigating the offense. According to U.S and International law the FBI has jurisdiction over any crimes that occur to a U.S. Citizen aboard a ship that leaves and returns to a U.S. port. But that is me assuming that the victim is a U.S citizen. Regardless I am glad he has been taken into custody to keep anyone else from being his victim. Safe and Happy sailing.

I'm sorry, additional information regarding this alleged crime is not forthcoming from any source I have found. But according to local news reports, a Carnival Valor crew member remains in a St Kitt's jail, unable to make bail. Is the crew member innocent of crime? I don't know, anymore than I know if the alleged victim was a man, woman or child. I've found no statement from Carnival regarding this alleged crime, nor have I seen any report on Cruise Critic news - have you ?

Edited by Salacia

This could have happened in port for all we know. Further, we don't know her nationality- nor do we know if US authorities have requested he be detained.

Edited by gnocchi_mommy

http://www.winnfm.com/news/local/8751-police-confirm-arrest-of-cruise-ship-crew-member-for-sexual-offence

"A carefully worded statement issued a week after the arrest, indicates that the Police Force in collaboration with the captain and crew of the Carnival Valor Cruise Line, conducted an investigation into an allegation of a sexual offence which was committed on the ship on Friday June 6th. It says that an intense collaborative investigation took place on the vessel into the alleged sexual offence which was committed on a passenger, and lead to the formal arrest and charging of the crew member. - See more at: http://www.winnfm.com/news/local/8751-police-confirm-arrest-of-cruise-ship-crew-member-for-sexual-offence#sthash.Oi8CMLzP.dpuf"

Editing to add this is why they had jurisdiction- "allegedly committed in the territorial waters of St. Kitts and Nevis."

Edited by gnocchi_mommy

One poster asked, "How can he be charged...?"

Lest you forget, the ship was not in US waters...We take for granted our rights. Those rights do NOT exist outside of the USA.

We all become subject to maritime law and or the laws of any one island or nation once we have sailed.

I was on the Valor on the trip after this happened. I didn't hear anything about this either on the ship or in St. Kitts, though I wasn't actively hunting for info.

I did read some details about this on another site just before I left.

they certainly not going to let him leave on the ship and not come back while they investigate.. A lot of the Carb. countries you need to -prove you are innocent not like Canada or USA court system where we need to prove you are guilty. Not unusual that they hold this person in the country where arrested until proven innocent. If this event happened in thier waters it is thier rules

I'd be very surprised of innocence until proven guilty wasn't the case in any island that was a British colony, like St Kitts. Their legal system will be similar to ours and to Canada's.