Currency Exchange in Europe

Question for all the experienced Cruisers in Europe:

We'll be flying into Barcelona this wkend.

Wondering where's the best place to exchange our US Dollars to Euros?

Current exchange rate are $1 US = 0.73875 Euro

(For every $100 US, we get $73.87 Euro)

Just called local Wells Fargo bank & their exchange rate is 0.71

What would your sugg be...?

1. Exchange small amount (maybe $100) first at home, for taxi in Barcelona, etc...?

2. Get cash at connecting airport in Frankfort or Barcelona airport?

- Currency Exchange booth

- or ATM machine at airport? & use which card? credit card or ATM card?

3. Get cash onboard RCCL ship? Purser's Desk or onboard ATM?

4. Get cash at first port in France, bank or ATM?

We're staying another week after cruise in The Netherlands, so just need cash in Euros for taxis, tips, snacks, etc...

Otherwise, we plan to charge most others on our credit card, using our Chase credit card, since it doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee like our other credit cards, which charges 1 - 3%.

Sugg...?

Here is what we did FWIW. We used our ATM card to get some Euro's at the BCN airport. Then we went to a bank in Barcelona and obtained the bulk of our cash. We brought USD from home and exchanged it for Euro. Then as we started getting low, we would hit an ATM in port. That seemed to work for us.

Last posters are correct. My bank told me the best way is to use a debit card at the ATM for the best exchange rate. Using a credit card incurs an interest rate right off the bat. Also, be sure to be specific about being in Barcelona, as they had to special code on my account for the system to accept the transaction. My account was from a local credit union, and they are much more restrictive than the BIG banks. Some credit cards have no foreign transaction fees, in other words, no additional fees for converting from Euro back to dollar,

Just from a recent experience, I purchased Euros from Bank of America and I thought it was a decent rate. I was surprised that the rate on the Serenade was much better--I expected the opposite. Next time, I will exchange on the ship.

Under the advise of many fellow CC"ers i opened a Charles Schwab account which gives you an ATM card with no fees and also credits all foreign ATM fees. Ill be using that on our upcoming Europe trip and TA cruise home