Livorno to Lucca

cantwaitt

I am looking for a reasonably priced tour from Livorno to Lucca-Pisa. I contacted one company recommended on other boards three times and they never responded.

My ship HAL goes to Lucca for $65, which sounds reasonable. But it is just 4 1/2 hours. Would pay more for a full-day trip. Otherwise, not much to see in Livorno for the afternoon, unless someone has suggestions regarding this.

Since the OP is specifically asking about Livorno to Lucca we will stick to that topic. You can certainly book a private excursion for yourself or a small group and this will cost hundreds of Euros. But Lucca is a very compact walled town that can only be explored on foot. You can also rent a bike to ride around the top walls (lots of fun). This is a pretty easy place to simply walk around on your own, and if you spend a full day you would probably have time to walk most of the city. Your ships tour is well priced but if you want a full day it is relatively straight forward to simply take the train from Livorno Centrale. You would simply get a taxi (we usually try to share a taxi to save money) to the train station. The train is inexpensive, but you do have to change in Pisa. The station at Lucca is just outside the walls (which you see as soon as you exit the station) so its just a matter of strolling into the city after exiting the train.

Hank

Hey Cantwaitt, I believe you are on our cruise. We have chosen to rent a vehicle that day and are planning on heading out on our own that day. There is a rental agency which will bring the vehicle to the port for you (Sifracar). We didn't like the idea of just a 4.5 hr tour and opted not to do Florence. We figure with a vehicle for this port, we can go at our own pace. If we are gone 5 hr or 7 hrs, it's our choice. This way we can also see maybe just a bit more than just Lucca and the Leaning Tower.

Before choosing the car rental option we did also look at taking the train which I think goes to Lucca too.

(Btw-if it is the same cruise ---51 days and counting :) )

Edited by CGYCruisingFamily

BTW, we just rented from Sifracar a couple of weeks ago to visit the Tuscan hill town of Volterra, and it was great picking up our car right at the dock. It was a brand-new Nissan Micra, and I highly recommend Sifracar. There turned out to be one of those one-day rail strikes that day, and the company could have rented out dozens more!

We have visited Lucca twice from Livorno, and I agree with Hank that the train is the best option (train strikes are rare IMO), and Lucca is worth an entire day. (We enjoyed it so much we returned a second time.) There is a very good archaeological/history museum.

Just to again clarify, Sifracar (Sifracar.com) is the local Hertz franchise in Livorno. But if you want to rent a car for the day it is best to deal directly with Sifracar via their own web site of by sending them a direct e-mail. We have always thought they were a little pricy with their deal that delivers (and allows a drop) at the port, but we can recall times when some of the other rental car agencies could not get into the port (due to security) and somehow Sifracar always seemed to have a way :).

Hank

Thanks.

Yes, we are on the same sailing as you, CGYCruisingFamily.

We have been mulling the train for awhile and am still on the fence about this because of both the bus part and the change in Pisa. This makes me a bit uneasy, even though we are going on our own in most of the ports.

Not sure my wife would be keen on renting a car, although I would. That would be fun to drive in another country as long as they drive on the same side as the US.

thanks again.