Change from D219? On the Grand?

bigenna

We were booked in a premium balcony on Caribe deck and when prices went down Princess would not give reduction, but offered small price increase for lowest category mini, which we took. Never had a mini before, so D219 seemed an okay choice. Now I am reading on another thread that any Dolphin deck balcony is not good as it is fully uncovered and exposed from above decks.

There are a couple of minis on Emerald, aft. E722 and E723.

Do you think they would be a better choice? We really would like this to be special as it is our first mini.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by bigenna

We've never had one of the covered minis, but would if they weren't so far aft. If you are in fair to good shape, that would probably work well for you. We generally book minis in the front half of the ship. If anyone in the balconies above wants to look down on us, they will be terribly bored. We've never noticed it at sea, and the idea obviously doesn't bother us.

Uncovered is fine. Most people to busy

to look down. If they do, only a minute.

Uncovered gives more light in your room.

More sunshine on your balcony. I liked

it..no problem. Ate out there a few times

and this was in Alaska with sun. Covered

wouldn't of got the sun.

So don't let the uncovered stop you.

Bon Voyage!

I prefer the covered, especially in places like Alaska. But I have had just as many uncovered ones. If you can get a covered one, go for it. If not, don't worry about it.

BTW - I would far prefer to be towards the aft than towards the forward of the ship.

Edited by Coral

Johnsfo, do you mean that the size/layout of the room will be different in the aft, covered minis on Emerald deck? I thought they would all be the same?

Coral, Belle, and Nancyquilts - the cruise will be in October, in Mexico. Any opinion on covered vs non, and also whether even or odd numbered (port/starboard) would be preferable?

Johnsfo, do you mean that the size/layout of the room will be different in the aft, covered minis on Emerald deck? I thought they would all be the same?

Coral, Belle, and Nancyquilts - the cruise will be in October, in Mexico. Any opinion on covered vs non, and also whether even or odd numbered (port/starboard) would be preferable?

Dolphin/Emerald mini's are the same layout.

The Emerald deck mini's are good because of the cover.

We have never had an issue with an uncovered Dolphin deck mini.

Being uncovered just never bothered us.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

The cruise is in October, Mexico, Sea of Cortez.

I think we will just stay where we are for now. We are marked for upgrades so who knows where we might end up.

Thanks for all the replies.

The cruise is in October, Mexico, Sea of Cortez.

I think we will just stay where we are for now. We are marked for upgrades so who knows where we might end up.

Thanks for all the replies.

We're following you in November on the same cruise. I think we're on the starboard side this time in an uncovered mini. No choice from us as to sides. Good luck on an upgrade or upsell!

Colo Cruiser is correct. The minis are all the same--the only difference is covered vs. not covered. Oh, they also give you a glass of Champagne in the minis--if you like Champagne, I would advise against drinking it. Bon Voyage!

I suppose it depends on what you plan to do out on your balcony that would determine if it made a difference if it was covered or not....but I will take a mini over a balcony any day.

Sissy

Edited by SissyG

Colo Cruiser is correct. The minis are all the same--the only difference is covered vs. not covered. Oh, they also give you a glass of Champagne in the minis--if you like Champagne, I would advise against drinking it. Bon Voyage!

I love good humor, very funny!

I suppose it depends on what you plan to do out on your balcony that would determine if it made a difference if it was covered or not....but I will take a mini over a balcony any day.

Sissy

And again, hehehe

Unless you enjoy a good headache. :p

I loved staying in a mini suite on the Dolphin Deck. There were times I had the door open & lounged on our cabins love seat while reading & could watch the Alaska scenery, step out on the deck for a while etc. You will love it so much.

Just wanted to throw in my two cents, My husband, mother in law and I were in E724 on the Grand a couple weeks ago. We really enjoyed the covered balcony, it was very private and blocked a lot of the wind. One thing to note is the noise. While it wasn't a deal breaker for us, there was noise from the stage below us in the evenings and a lot of noise from the engines or turbines or something, especially pulling into and out of port.

The stage music was pretty dull, and didn't go past 10pm, but the morning zumba at 9 was annoying. The noise pulling into port at 6am was loud enough and the vibrations were strong enough to wake all three of us.

I would book the room again, but would prefer one not so close to being over the stage. If you are sensitive to noise though, I'd think about it twice.

It is a few months away still so think we will just wait and see what might happen with possible upgrades since we are the lowest category mini.

Our first one so from all of your input I am quite sure we will love it.

Edited by bigenna