Camera to take on Alaskan Cruise

Hi. We are booked on Rhapsody of the Seas August 29th leaving from Seattle. I have read that it is worthwhile taking a digital SLR camera with zoom to get good shots of scenery and wildlife. I haven't used an SLR of any type before so I am unsure of what I should get or should I rely on my compact digital camera? I realise that I should get a much better result with an SLR but I am not confident that I would be able to use it competently. Any advice? Thanks.

Hi. We are booked on Rhapsody of the Seas August 29th leaving from Seattle. I have read that it is worthwhile taking a digital SLR camera with zoom to get good shots of scenery and wildlife. I haven't used an SLR of any type before so I am unsure of what I should get or should I rely on my compact digital camera? I realise that I should get a much better result with an SLR but I am not confident that I would be able to use it competently. Any advice? Thanks.

All I can say is whatever you take make sure you are comfortable using it and know it inside out. I used to use all the gear but now I am disabled I just use a good point and shoot camera with a good zoom on it and I find I get good results with it and it is so much more convenient for me. If you do buy a new camera make sure you thoroughly try it out in different conditions prior to your holiday so you can use it well at the time. :)

As others have pointed out...one key point is a good zoom (20X or more).

While there were others onboard excursions with the traditional (bulky) DSLR cameras and big zoom lenses...our pocket-size Canon w/20X zoom actually out-performed on several side-by-side experiences last month on our cruise to Alaska.

After an all-day excursion in Juneau, one fellow passenger who we befriended was so frustrated at how the P&S Canon performed in contract to his $3400 Nikon DSLR (he just bought it right before the trip)...he said he was "returning it after the trip and buying 2 P&S cameras like ours and pocketing the $1500 difference".

Having shot professionally and as an amateur for more than 30 years...I've learned that the results for great photos depend 50% on the equipment and 50% on the photographer.

So don't go overboard (pun intended) on spending too much on a bug/bulky/over-powered camera that you can operate well or comfortably....rather...spend a reasonable amount based on your budget and get a camera with 20X zoom or more that is more automated and learn how to use it in advance.

This is just one example of a camera that should work out well...it's the 2014 model of the 2013 version we have...and the zoom is now 30X optical...

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/powershot-sx-series-digital-cameras/powershot-sx700-hs-black

Here's (also) an independent review of that camera and 2 other similar ones in comparison so you can figure out which one might be best for you based on the types of photos you'll take...

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX700_HS/

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Only if you know how to use it, and have a decent lens (or 2:D) If you are never going to take it off of green box, I would just take a good P&S with great optical zoom.

I have a great Canon SX50 that I took last summer. I can barely use a point and shoot so this has a lot of extra features that I'm still learning but the zoom was fantastic and the pics were amazing! I spent many mornings and evenings on deck taking pics of the surrounding landscape. Plus we went to Denali NP later and I used it tons there too!

As others have pointed out...one key point is a good zoom (20X or more).

While there were others onboard excursions with the traditional (bulky) DSLR cameras and big zoom lenses...our pocket-size Canon w/20X zoom actually out-performed on several side-by-side experiences last month on our cruise to Alaska.

After an all-day excursion in Juneau, one fellow passenger who we befriended was so frustrated at how the P&S Canon performed in contract to his $3400 Nikon DSLR (he just bought it right before the trip)...he said he was "returning it after the trip and buying 2 P&S cameras like ours and pocketing the $1500 difference".

Having shot professionally and as an amateur for more than 30 years...I've learned that the results for great photos depend 50% on the equipment and 50% on the photographer.

So don't go overboard (pun intended) on spending too much on a bug/bulky/over-powered camera that you can operate well or comfortably....rather...spend a reasonable amount based on your budget and get a camera with 20X zoom or more that is more automated and learn how to use it in advance.

This is just one example of a camera that should work out well...it's the 2014 model of the 2013 version we have...and the zoom is now 30X optical...

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/powershot-sx-series-digital-cameras/powershot-sx700-hs-black

Here's (also) an independent review of that camera and 2 other similar ones in comparison so you can figure out which one might be best for you based on the types of photos you'll take...

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX700_HS/

This is great advice. The key to a dSLR is knowing how to use it. Given your short time to learn, I think a good zoom point and shoot is the way to go. Another thing to mention is pay attention to optical zoom vs digital zoom. Optical zoom gives better results. Digital zoom just extrapolates what is already there and usually gives crappy results. I have a Canon Sx130is that I use and the newest model of that is 16MP with 16x optical zoom.

The problem the guy with the SLR had is it was a Nikon :D Just kidding

Also remember a P&S will weigh a lot less and be way more compact, can fit in a pocket. I would also recommend the website http://www.dpreview.com. Great reviews and active forums to see what others recommend. Lastly, I would order online. That will be the best price. Be aware of grey market equipment though. If MSRP is $349, you should be able to get it at a reputable dealer for about $299 or so. If you see it for $199, stay away. Also get several medium sized memory cards. The reason for that instead of one big one is if one craps out on you you have not lost all of your pictures.

DSLRs are not hard to use, and you can set them to, no offense, "idiot mode", or the "Program" setting. Of course reading some of the manual never hurts! You might want to change ISO or focus settings, or use the self-timer, etc.

I've been in photography for 40+ years (since high school), and switched to DSLRs as soon as the first Nikon D1 came out and never looked back.

You know, and excuse me for shouting, but, YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUY NEW EQUIPMENT!

Right now I use a Nikon D300, 12+ megapixels (more than you need), along with 18-55, 55-200 zooms, and a Nikon SB-25 shoe mount strobe. The D300 also has a built in flash. Bought it all USED for under $1000. I ordered it on the internet, and it arrived, and all the equipment looked new, and has performed flawlessly. I've owned used equipment before without ever an issue, and I used to buy used mechanical gear like Nikon F2s.

I have a friend, who is a pro, who bought two Nikon D300s to shoot weddings with.

One reputable company, where I bought the D300 kit from, is KEH camera brokers in Atlanta, GA. http://www.keh.com/

Don't be put off by a DSLR, they are not as hard to use as you think, but the ARE bigger and heavier; they don't fit in your pants pocket! However, nothing beats having a big piece of glass hanging off the front. Last time I checked, the pros are not using PS cameras, but you can buy the kind of gear they use used for a lot less than they paid new!

Otherwise, and to sum up, I would go with a DSLR and look for quality used gear. :)

nikon-d300.jpg

DSLRs are not hard to use, and you can set them to, no offense, "idiot mode", or the "Program" setting. Of course reading some of the manual never hurts! You might want to change ISO or focus settings, or use the self-timer, etc.

I've been in photography for 40+ years (since high school), and switched to DSLRs as soon as the first Nikon D1 came out and never looked back.

You know, and excuse me for shouting, but, YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUY NEW EQUIPMENT!

Right now I use a Nikon D300, 12+ megapixels (more than you need), along with 18-55, 55-200 zooms, and a Nikon SB-25 shoe mount strobe. The D300 also has a built in flash. Bought it all USED for under $1000. I ordered it on the internet, and it arrived, and all the equipment looked new, and has performed flawlessly. I've owned used equipment before without ever an issue, and I used to buy used mechanical gear like Nikon F2s.

I have a friend, who is a pro, who bought two Nikon D300s to shoot weddings with.

One reputable company, where I bought the D300 kit from, is KEH camera brokers in Atlanta, GA. http://www.keh.com/

Don't be put off by a DSLR, they are not as hard to use as you think, but the ARE bigger and heavier; they don't fit in your pants pocket! However, nothing beats having a big piece of glass hanging off the front. Last time I checked, the pros are not using PS cameras, but you can buy the kind of gear they use used for a lot less than they paid new!

Otherwise, and to sum up, I would go with a DSLR and look for quality used gear. :)

nikon-d300.jpg

To OP, this is also very good advice. The question you have to ask yourself is how technical a person are you and how much time do you want to devote to learning a dSLR? I have had one for a long time and I am still learning. They are by far more bulky and heavy, although the new Canon SL1 is very small in comparison. Buying used is good advice and I can vouch for KEH. They are very reputable and I have bought from them before.

Mirrorless might be an option but I do not think they have big zoom lenses available. My biggest zoom is 70-300mm. Even that would be a stretch for Alaska wildlife (not big enough). If I were doing a dSLR in Alaska I would rent a 500mm. Just MHO.

I'd also suggest looking at the mirrorless system. Due to arthritis in my hands, I'm having to lighten the load. Some of my heavier lenses are turning into tripod only lenses. I bought a 70-300mm m.zuiko lens and did well in Norway. Also with the olympus m.zuiko lens, they have a 2x crop factor. So my 70-300mm is more like a 140-600mm, which means more zoom!

Be warned, if you decide to move up to a dSLR, you'll most likely be wanting to buy better lens. With that in mind, buy the body only and buy a better grade lens up front. With lenses, the lower the f-number the better. For example, the f1.8 will operate in less light than the F3.5.

I have had a DSLR and while it was an amazing camera I found that it was a bit too much to carry around. If you can get a zoom lens that will fill all your needs on a DSLR that's a plus. I have always thought that a 18 to 300 mm focal length might be perfect, they are expensive. I found that if you had to change lenses to shoot your photos, then you HAVE to carry those lenses in addition to the camera.

I now use what the industry now calls a "Bridge Camera," that is a camera that bridges the the gap between a simple Point and Shoot camera and the DSLR camera. The one I currently use is a Nikon D600. It has all the bells and whistles along with a 60 X Optical zoom lens. The other nice feature is a Burst mode that will let you take 100+ photos simply by holding down the shutter. I used this feature while waiting for a glacier to calve in Glacier Bay. I also use a Sony DSC-HX30 which has a 20 X zoom Optical Zoom. This smaller one I use while on board the ship for interior shots. Both these cameras have a great anti-shake or stabilization feature that reduces the blurred photos you might get at extreme zoom settings.

As someone before me said, find a camera you are comfortable with and you can carry without a problem. And if you don't learn anything else about the camera, while shooting wait for the focus... on my cameras we call it, "wait for the green."

Enjoy,

Dave

I would add that you should have something waterproof in which to carry the cameera. Our experience in Alaska was that it was misting most days and raining hard one other day.

If you do get an slr, I recommend an additional lens for zooming. The stock lens (18-55) just doesn't cut it. I wish I had bought a bigger lens. They get pricey though. I just bought a 200mm used one for a pretty decent price....but more expensive than what a p&s would cost.

In Europe now and finding that I don't need the 200mm for most of what I'm shooting.

Live and learn :)

I usually have mine in auto mode for doing touristy fly-by photos. When I have time then I mess around with settings. Eiffel Tower at night was great fun to play around with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the airport on my way home from Alaska now. We had a Nikon and our friends had the Canon xs50. Their camera was GREAT. We were able to take pictures of Dall Sheep from the road and zoom in enough to see them. We will be trading ours for the canon soon. The zoom is fantastic and it is nice and compact. It also has a burst mode foe when you see wildlife. It will take 3 photos in succession so you don't miss anything!

Done Alaska twice and used a SLR (35mm) the first time. If you go with a SLR then you can rent whatever lens you want for a pretty cheap price. I think at minimum you might want to have a zoom out to at least 500mm to shoot from the ship. Then I would just take my P&S off the ship.

Just as an FYI, most DSLRs are not "full" frame cameras (think of 35mm film and a 24x36mm frame size for this), and the ones that are tend to be $$$$. My Nikon D300 is not full frame either.

Now what does this mean to the photographer? Well, it means that the lens you put on the camera will not deliver what you think it might, but it will be 50% more in focal length!

Thus, my 55-200mm zoom becomes a and 83-300mm zoom. Frankly, 83mm is an ideal portrait lens, and 300mm is a nice telephoto.

My 18-55mm zoom delivers 27-83mm. 27mm is a nice wide angle, and I also get the portrait lens at the long setting.

Years ago I needed to go much wider with my D1X, so I had a 14mm lens that gave me an "ultra wide" 21mm equivalent.

So...with that hypothetical 500mm lens on a non-full frame camera, you will be getting 750mm! Not bad.

However, watch your shutter speed!! At 750mm you had better be either on a tripod, or have a shutter speed of at least 1/750th sec, and ideally much more to eliminate vibration if you are hand holding it. Some lenses / cameras come with Vibration Reduction technology, as do my lenses, and they give about 2 extra steps on shutter speed. Thus 1/30 sec becomes the equivalent of at least 1/125 sec.