Travel agent or on your own?

Kewz1

We have always used the same PCL Vacation Planner up to now, and have been very happy. :) However, with the price of our latest booking and since we wanted an Aft Suite, we went with a TA. :cool:

No matter what you want to call it, she certainly saved us a bunch of money as compared to the PCL-VP was able to offer. Plus we are receiving a small but nice OBC from her. ;)

So I guess it depends on what you are looking for as to which way you go!:rolleyes:

Mike

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

I do use a single TA. I am not going to switch TAs to save $10. Her expertise and speciality makes it worth it to me to stick with her. I won't use someone else if another agent is $10 less.
Like you, a $10 difference doesn't mean much but if the difference is in the hundreds and I'm getting a several cabin category upgrade, it's worth it. Differences really depend on the cruise and cabin type and sometimes, there can be a significant difference between quotes from two TAs.

We have booked with a on line agent for several years. We booked about 2-3 cruises a year. They have a website but we call our agent to book. It is a discount agency but we use one agent. She has always given us very good service. Responses to messages and e-mails.

A month ago we decided take cruisetour to Alaska after I got a cancer free report. Since was Sunday(agency closed)there was only one mini left we reserve it with Princess. A phone the next morning save us $600 ( both discounts and obc).

The only cruise we did recently with another on-line discounter was a last minute cruise. The price was unbelievable $1,000 pp for full Canal for a balcony.

Pam also in California

I always book directly with the cruise line. It's worth it to me to be in complete control of my booking. I never have to worry that my agent is out to lunch or sick the day I need some assistance. So call me a control freak. To each their own.

Looking into taking our first Princess cruise next year. Do most of you book on your own or go through an agent?

What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Kristen

With Princess direct always. No advantage booking with a TA in the UK.

We always book thru our TA and always have a better price and OBCs then Princess's rack rate. On the very odd occasion we have booked directly and then transferred the booking to our TA to benefit from additional savings and perks.

However, aside from savings and perks a good TA can answer your questions, knows the way through the system and is there for you if problems arise...rather than dealing with a faceless call centre employee who hardly knows what a cruise ship looks like and only has the companies best interest at heart.

unless you have a Princess Personal Cruise Consultant like we have.

I have been booking with the same TA for about 8 years. She has been so great in the past. But the last time I booked a cruise with her she got nasty because I put a hold on the cruise with RCCL (she was closed at the time). She did say she was stress out. And I let it ride that time. But she acted that way again with another cruise that I booked for 1/15. So I have decided to look for another TA. She will lose a lot because not only my account she will lose but my friends who we travel use her too. About eight accounts all together. She was also off with another friends of mine. I feel bad that she is stressed, but I don't need it to be taken out on us. I still have final payment to be done with her. I am truly wishing she would get back on track. But if not. I am gone.

unless you have a Princess Personal Cruise Consultant like we have.

Now when push comes to shove how or why is a PPCC in the employ of Princess going to take your side if an issue comes up even if he or she knows you by your first name.:confused:

There is a site where you can go and ask for quotes from agencies. They will be competing for your business and that can give you an idea in the variation of prices and incentives. Or you can just go to the agents you know of and ask for quotes. But be sure to check for additional fees such as cancellation and change charges.

I always book directly with the cruise line. It's worth it to me to be in complete control of my booking. I never have to worry that my agent is out to lunch or sick the day I need some assistance. So call me a control freak. To each their own.
Interesting. Guess I'm not a control freak but I do like saving lots of money, be able to reach my TA pretty much 24/7, and have them know exactly what my preferences are, not to mention know what the hell they're doing. Which can't be said if you book directly with the cruise line. Look how much really bizarre "information" people post that their Princess rep has told them. They know far less than 90% of the people on this board.

Like I said, I prefer to deal directly with the rep. Who knows better than I what my likes and dislikes are. I've had to straighten out plenty of messed up reservations from TA's. And whether it's the TA or myself, we are both talking to the same rep. I 'm as capable as any TA to transact business with them.

Like I said, I prefer to deal directly with the rep. Who knows better than I what my likes and dislikes are. I've had to straighten out plenty of messed up reservations from TA's. And whether it's the TA or myself, we are both talking to the same rep. I 'm as capable as any TA to transact business with them.

Good to hear but obviously you haven't had a good TA in the past and don't really care for the discounts, enhanced OBC's and other perks that they offer which the line doesn't offer.

We always book thru our TA and always have a better price and OBCs then Princess's rack rate. On the very odd occasion we have booked directly and then transferred the booking to our TA to benefit from additional savings and perks.

However, aside from savings and perks a good TA can answer your questions, knows the way through the system and is there for you if problems arise...rather than dealing with a faceless call centre employee who hardly knows what a cruise ship looks like and only has the companies best interest at heart.

I called our local TAs (3 all together) and got NO OBC, perks,etc., not even a discount price for our Dec. 2015 cruise! What am I doing wrong! Is it too soon? Thanks for many advice!

I called our local TAs (3 all together) and got NO OBC, perks,etc., not even a discount price for our Dec. 2015 cruise! What am I doing wrong! Is it too soon? Thanks for many advice!

Many people get the best pricing from TAs who live away from where the people live.

These are not necessarily just online agencies, but TAs with good service and discount pricing that just happen to live elsewhere.

Best way to finds these TAs is to ask fellow roll call members when you get on board your next cruise (and not on Cruise Critic).

Many people get the best pricing from TAs who live away from where the people live.

These are not necessarily just online agencies, but TAs with good service and discount pricing that just happen to live elsewhere.

Best way to finds these TAs is to ask fellow roll call members when you get on board your next cruise (and not on Cruise Critic).

Thanks, will add that to my list of "to do":)

Redding may be just a tad small to find a good TA, I live in even a smaller town and have to use one in Vancouver. I am thinking you may have to look for someone in Sacramento or San Francisco, have you thought of purchasing a Sunday newspaper from these cities and then make some calls.

Redding may be just a tad small to find a good TA, I live in even a smaller town and have to use one in Vancouver. I am thinking you may have to look for someone in Sacramento or San Francisco, have you thought of purchasing a Sunday newspaper from these cities and then make some calls.

Oh! That's a good idea! Will definitely research that!! Thanks:D

Putterdude, you have know idea what I "obviously" care about. I've only stated what I do. I have not disparaged anyone for the choices that they make. If you are more comfortable using a TA, then go for it! As I said, "to each their own."

Putterdude, you have know idea what I "obviously" care about. I've only stated what I do. I have not disparaged anyone for the choices that they make. If you are more comfortable using a TA, then go for it! As I said, "to each their own."

I don't have a problem with what you do...if it feels good to you than do it. However, it flies in the face of advice of many, if not all, experienced cruisers who post on these boards.

Oh! That's a good idea! Will definitely research that!! Thanks:D

Please when speaking with any such TA's discuss with them any fees that they may charge for changes or cancellations .... if they do, move one to the next one.

Please when speaking with any such TA's discuss with them any fees that they may charge for changes or cancellations .... if they do, move one to the next one.

Good point. I'll add to that to ask about any upfront fees also if you are planning to use them for more than just the cruise portion of your trip. Some TAs charge a fee just to book the air. So I do that part of it myself.

Good point. I'll add to that to ask about any upfront fees also if you are planning to use them for more than just the cruise portion of your trip. Some TAs charge a fee just to book the air. So I do that part of it myself.

Thanks for that piece of advice:) One reason I'm looking for a TA this time is for making our flight arrangements. We will be flying back from Peru and I don't have a clue of going fares or when is the best time to purchase!

Thanks for that piece of advice:) One reason I'm looking for a TA this time is for making our flight arrangements. We will be flying back from Peru and I don't have a clue of going fares or when is the best time to purchase!

Hopefully you can find a good one who won't charge extra for booking the air (and hotel if needed) since you are purchasing a cruise from them at the same time. I understand airlines and hotels are often not giving TAs the commissions that they did years ago, so that is why some TAs have started charging extra for booking them.