Port shuttle bus change?, Civitavecchia

Cruizann

I have been inforned that the port shuttle bus from the cruise ship to the port entrance no longer exists and that now the port shuttle bus takes you to a location about a 20 minute bus ride away, (where there are vendor stalls) and where there is another bus to take you to Rome or a taxi to take you to the train station in Civitavecchia! This information came from someone who cruised with Royal Carribean however I presume this is the case for all of the Cruise Lines. My DH and I are looking at a cruise in the Mediterranean in September with Holland America.

There have been a number of threads on this. Seemingly, it is supposed to be a temporary change while building work is going on at the main port entrance but I haven't seen any estimate of how long it will take. People who want to walk to the station have twice as far to go but I've seen some posts from those who are happy with the change, because there is a convenient bus.

Okay let's clear this up.

The free shuttle bus ride from the ship is 5-7 minutes max. It now takes you to a parking lot where you can catch a different bus for 1E that will take you to the train station, or you can walk to the train station, about 20 minutes.

The train is 12E round trip; a cab would be very costly, depending if you just wanted it to drop you off in Rome or spend the day driving you around and back to port--we are talking hundreds of euros. It is about an hour drive, depending on traffic.

Your options if you don't want to take the train are arranging a private tour (~500 euros) or meeting up with others on your roll call and sharing a tour, or taking a tour through the cruise line. A pre-arranged tour driver would meet you at the ship and you do not have to take the shuttle.

Many of us on these boards advocate the train--and there is tons of info here--but some people are not comfortable using it for whatever reason--really up to you!

Okay let's clear this up.

The free shuttle bus ride from the ship is 5-7 minutes max. It now takes you to a parking lot where you can catch a different bus for 1E that will take you to the train station, or you can walk to the train station, about 20 minutes.

The train is 12E round trip; a cab would be very costly, depending if you just wanted it to drop you off in Rome or spend the day driving you around and back to port--we are talking hundreds of euros. It is about an hour drive, depending on traffic.

Your options if you don't want to take the train are arranging a private tour (~500 euros) or meeting up with others on your roll call and sharing a tour, or taking a tour through the cruise line. A pre-arranged tour driver would meet you at the ship and you do not have to take the shuttle.

Many of us on these boards advocate the train--and there is tons of info here--but some people are not comfortable using it for whatever reason--really up to you!

Thank you very much. We would like to take the train into Rome and so we will either take the bus for 1 euro or walk. Your information is most helpful.

Do you have to take the shuttle bus off the ship? It looks like it may be easier (faster?) to walk straight from where the ship docks to the train station.

You are allowed to walk, but Civitavecchia is a very large port and quite a few of the berths would be a long walk. Also, if they are doing construction, you may not be able to access the old drop-off point anyway.

You are allowed to walk, but Civitavecchia is a very large port and quite a few of the berths would be a long walk. Also, if they are doing construction, you may not be able to access the old drop-off point anyway.

Thanks! We disembark from Celebrity Equinox at 7:00 and need to get to the Colloseum by 9:45 to meet our tour group. Just trying to find the quickest way to the train station.

What about going the other way? We're coming in from Rome to the port with luggage via the train. Is there a bus we can catch to take us to the port shuttle? I'd like to minimize the walk if possible. Trying to navigate the Termini with luggage will be stressful enough. Making it easier for 1 euro sounds good to me!

• 1 month later...
What about going the other way? We're coming in from Rome to the port with luggage via the train. Is there a bus we can catch to take us to the port shuttle? I'd like to minimize the walk if possible. Trying to navigate the Termini with luggage will be stressful enough. Making it easier for 1 euro sounds good to me!

Reporting as we have the same question

Taking train into Civi in august, does this 1E bus pickup incoming passengers at the train station?

Our cruise will end in Rome and we are staying at a hotel in the airport. Is there a train that goes directly there and would it be a nightmare with luggage?

Terri

No, you would have to take the train into Rome, then connect to an airport train or bus, then take a taxi or hotel shuttle once you got to the airport unless you're staying at the Hilton IIRC

Edited by CathyCruises

There is not a direct train from the port to the airport---you would take the train from the port to Rome Termini (5E each on local train) and then take the Leonardo Express from termini to the airport. note: there are no porters at Rome Termini--anyone offering to help with your luggage is potential trouble.

The .8E city shuttle bus runs from the train station to the drop off point for the port shuttle (which is free)----

hope this helps

Paul

Edited by leahsdad

There is not a direct train from the port to the airport---you would take the train from the port to Rome Termini (5E each on local train) and then take the Leonardo Express from termini to the airport. note: there are no porters at Rome Termini--anyone offering to help with your luggage is potential trouble.

The .8E city shuttle bus runs from the train station to the drop off point for the port shuttle (which is free)----

hope this helps

Paul

Sorry Paul did you mean the 8E bus is the route (From Civi Train Station to Port bus?) or the cost is 8E?

We're DIYing Rome hotel to Civi Port in a couple weeks so planning Civi to Port Bus portion and last time we walked it!

Thanks for any help in advance

There is not a direct train from the port to the airport---you would take the train from the port to Rome Termini (5E each on local train) and then take the Leonardo Express from termini to the airport.

Actually, can't you change at Trastevere for the airport?

Cathy is correct, it's almost always faster to change at Trastevere vs. going to Termini and backtracking.

• 7 months later...
There have been a number of threads on this. Seemingly, it is supposed to be a temporary change while building work is going on at the main port entrance but I haven't seen any estimate of how long it will take. People who want to walk to the station have twice as far to go but I've seen some posts from those who are happy with the change, because there is a convenient bus.

Does anyone know if the shuttle bus takes people to the entrance closest to the train station again? Was the location change due to the construction and if so is the construction completed?

Does anyone know if the shuttle bus takes people to the entrance closest to the train station again? Was the location change due to the construction and if so is the construction completed?

The last report we had was that the dropoff has not yet been moved back to the port entrance. No word on when the construction may be completed. Most cruise ships will not start calling on Civi until late April or early May so we may not get an update for a while. I believe Costa is still going there but we sure haven't heard much lately at all. Don't know about MSC but I suspect they cruise there during the winter as well.

I have a good friend on the Reflection TA that ends in Rome, I'll be sure to have her update me as soon as they get there.

I was there in February and we were required to take the shuttle bus to the further location, not the one closer to the train station. I don't know what construction you are talking about, but I do know that the drop off location for the port shuttle is about 1 mile from the train station. There is a city bus after 8am that costs about ,8 euros.

It was also mentioned above that you are allowed to walk in the port, but you are not allowed to walk. I specially asked the "port expert" onboard NCL Jade and he said, "no, absolutely not"

It was also mentioned above that you are allowed to walk in the port, but you are not allowed to walk. I specially asked the "port expert" onboard NCL Jade and he said, "no, absolutely not"
I don't know how to say this without it sounding snotty, which is not my intent, but here goes. My limited experience with the port experts on NCL has been that they will say whatever they think will convince you to take an NCL shore excursion, up to and including outright lies.