Layout of tables in MDR

Hi all,

We have MTD on our upcoming Indy cruise.

We like to have a table for two at dinner.

We recently did a landbased holiday and the tables for two were extremely close together - we may as well have been sitting at a table for four or six.

Last time we cruised on Indy, and did MTD, there were six of us, so had no issues, we had a lovely round table for six. I do remember however seeing some tables for two that were very close together.

On our upcoming cruise, it's just me and DH. We would like a 'private' table for two.

Is there a plan of the layout of the tables for MTD in the MDR I can look at beforehand? If not, would it be possible on the first day to go into the dining room and make a note of the tables we like so we can ask if any of those are free when we turn up for dinner?

We are not entirely unsociable, please don't get the wrong impression of us, in fact we are tour sharing with some lovely people on our roll call for a few trips, but for our evening meal we like our privacy, so this is quite important to us, especially after our experience just on our land holiday.

Thanks for any feedback :)

Royal does not publish maps of the dining room tables. The table numbers and locations can change cruise to cruise. See the MTD desk as soon as you board to make a table request.

As a general rule, many, but not all, tables for 2 are very close together...so I would check and see when you get to the ship..

No guarantees of course, but there are some that are so close, they may as well be together..:eek:

We had a table for 2 on the Allure and we were so close to another couple we ended up hanging out during dinner. It was a 4 top they pulled apart just far enough for someone to squeeze by.

As a general rule, many, but not all, tables for 2 are very close together...so I would check and see when you get to the ship..

No guarantees of course, but there are some that are so close, they may as well be together..:eek:

Edited by jalpert

I've walked into the MDR of every ship I've ever been on prior to dinner to take a few photos when no one else was around. The staff has always invited me in when I poked my head in and asked to come in. I take a couple of photos from each corner of the room (and the main staircase if it has one) and I'm out in like 2-3 minutes TOPS.

I could've easily scoped a few table options in that same window.

Be courteous and ask before you enter. I've yet to be denied.

On our last cruise, we went to the MDR soon after boarding to speak to the maître D about our dining arrangements. We had signed up for Any Time Dining but wanted to have a table for 2 that was away from other tables. He was very accommodating and showed us around the dining room asking us which of the various tables we would prefer.

We picked one and reserved it for the entire cruise. We were happy with the table we selected. I'm not sure whether being in a suite helped or not. We were in an OS on that cruise.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Happy cruising!

On our last cruise, we went to the MDR soon after boarding to speak to the maître D about our dining arrangements. We had signed up for Any Time Dining but wanted to have a table for 2 that was away from other tables. He was very accommodating and showed us around the dining room asking us which of the various tables we would prefer.

We picked one and reserved it for the entire cruise. We were happy with the table we selected. I'm not sure whether being in a suite helped or not. We were in an OS on that cruise.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Happy cruising!

Hi, I believe 'being in a suite' helped a lot.

In first part of dec, 2013 , we cruised on Freedom. Few weeks before the start of the cruise I wrote to RCI and asked for a table for two in a nice location.

When we boarded ( and it was early, maybe 11:00 am) we went to the MDR and got in already existing line to see the maitre D - we wanted to see what we got and the location.

We did get the table for two ...... but it was located like in the main hallway that most of the people enter the DR ....... lots of traffic. We asked to be moved ...... he promised but did not give as much hope ..... he told us there were already many requests for table for two and none was available. It seems to me that the ships get bigger and more people are there ...... but the DR do not seem to be proportionally larger, so they stick as many tables as possible, as close to each other as they can and in every possible empty space so it is even difficult to get to your seat and seat in it.

So we stayed in 'in the hallway' for the dinning during entire cruise' ...... very busy spot...... but good place for people watching ...... most had to walk past out table.

We did not have an OS ..... we had an inside, so probably that was a very low priority for the maitre D.

Similar situation on Navigator in 2011. Maybe we just do not have the right touch or luck ...... evrn that our coversation with the maitre D has always been very polite and respectful.

Edited by wieslaw

Thanks for all your responses.

I'm glad it's not just us who prefer a 'private' table for two.

Unfortunately no owners suite for us. We're in a balcony cabin. We are celebrating a special birthday so perhaps that May swing it..

I will take your advice when we board and head for the dining room and ask politely if we can look around. If the Maître D is available will ask nicely if we can have a nice table for two.

I appreciate it's going to be difficult with MTD as we may not eat at exactly the same time every night...

Thanks again for your replies :-)

Allure was one dining room I remember seeing a bunch of table for two's that were back to back, not side by side giving a somewhat more intimate dinner. My table was at the back in 2011 so I walked right by at least 10 tables like that.

We usually have not had problem getting a table for two in a nice location but our last cruise was different. (We have loved getting a table for 2 right next to a window so we could look out as we cruise.)

There were not as many 2-tops in the main dining room, and they were not in very nice locations. Ours was as far back in the dining room as you could get, right next to a service area - so noisy. And not very close to a window.

We did look at the MTD area to see if it was any better - and there were many tables for 2 BUT right next to each other. So, not sure what we will do next cruise!

We usually have not had problem getting a table for two in a nice location but our last cruise was different. (We have loved getting a table for 2 right next to a window so we could look out as we cruise.)

There were not as many 2-tops in the main dining room, and they were not in very nice locations. Ours was as far back in the dining room as you could get, right next to a service area - so noisy. And not very close to a window.

We did look at the MTD area to see if it was any better - and there were many tables for 2 BUT right next to each other. So, not sure what we will do next cruise!

Hmmm not sure what the answer is... I can see the dilemma for RC and other companies with so many people choosing to sit alone, they need to ensure they can fit enough tables in the dining room, but everyone (or more people) will be looking for a prime location!

Allure was one dining room I remember seeing a bunch of table for two's that were back to back, not side by side giving a somewhat more intimate dinner. My table was at the back in 2011 so I walked right by at least 10 tables like that.

This sounds like a better layout. It would be nice if other ships arranged their tables this way.