self service soft serve ice cream?

1153rsmith

I read somewhere about an ice cream card you have to pay for, but is there complimentary soft serve ice cream onboard? How often is it available, and what flavors?

What is the ice cream card and where do you use it?

We are going to be on the Island Princess.

There used to be a self serve ice cream table (not soft ice cream, though) that used to be available mid-afternoons in the Horizon, but that stopped maybe about five to six years ago. You can get soft serve at the ice cream bar on the Lido deck (I believe that sundaes, shakes, etc. will have a charge, but plain chocolate or vanilla won't) and you can get all sorts of flavors of ice creams in the MDR with meals, but not soft serve.

Never heard of an ice cream card.

There is complimentary soft serve on Princess ships. The ice cream bar is open mid-day hours 11 AM - 5:30 PM and the it is listed 5:30 PM and onward for late hours. The "onward" is ill defined.

Soft serve is the classic vanilla, chocolate or swirl.

Enjoy!

I read somewhere about an ice cream card you have to pay for, but is there complimentary soft serve ice cream onboard? How often is it available, and what flavors?

I don't know of any ice cream card.......but on the Royal and Regal Princess the new Gelato accepts the "coffee card" to purchase specialty ice creams, desserts, etc.

The Island Princess should have the "ice cream bar" on Lido deck 14 for soft ice cream,,,,,vanilla, chocolate, and a swirl (vanilla/chocolate) in a cone or cup.........at no extra charge.

Also, various ice creams on dinner menus.

You may also be thinking of the "soda and more" (UKP) package. It includes milkshakes (from the ice cream place) and mocktails (from the bars) as well as soda. Unlike the coffee card, it's not a physical card, but a sticker they place on your cruise card.

Edited by giselleacttwo

There's no ice cream "card" on any Princess ship anywhere. There is complimentary soft-serve ice cream on Lido deck near the pool but it's not self-serve. On the Island Princess, you'll see it on the deck plans, "Ice Cream Bar." I think they have vanilla, chocolate and perhaps a swirl.

There is no gelato on the Island Princess so you don't have to worry about using a coffee card to get some. It doesn't apply to the Island Princess.

There's delicious hand made regular ice cream in the dining room at lunch and dinner with about five flavors available every night and three special flavors that night.

If you decide to get the "Soda & More" sticker for your cruise card, you can mike shakes or smoothies.

Thanks folks. There are just many unknowns when cruising with an unfamiliar cruise line.

As long as the ice cream and pizza are top notch, my son will be happy.

I saw some pictures of recent dinner menus and I have to say it didn't impress me much... I'm hoping it will be better in person. I mean, meatloaf and fried chicken in the dining room? I was expecting more beef wellington and other more luxurious items.

Princess has the best pizza at sea, but I think Princess has the worst ice cream at sea. The soft serve has a bad aftertaste; the scooped ice cream has a bad taste, period. The scooped ice cream (including the "gelatos" on all ships except the Regal and Royal) is made from the same ice cream base that comes on the ship in cartons, and they all have a weird taste. I can down a pint of Ben and Jerry's, and think the ice cream on Celeveity and HAL is superb; I can't stomach the Princess stuff.

It should be noted that my husband is not similarly afflicted with my anti-Princess ice cream bias, and eats several scoops every day. And I've never met a Princess sorbet I didn't like (especially pink grapefruit...yum).

I can down a pint of Ben and Jerry's, and think the ice cream on Celeveity and HAL is superb; I can't stomach the Princess stuff.

It should be noted that my husband is not similarly afflicted with my anti-Princess ice cream bias, and eats several scoops every day. And I've never met a Princess sorbet I didn't like (especially pink grapefruit...yum).

I'm with you're husband. I've tried ice cream on both HAL and Celebrity and it was essentially tasteless frozen ice crystals. It was like being served the frozen stuff from the outside of an ice cream container. Absolutely awful and should be downright embarrassing for these cruise lines to serve to passengers. So bad I couldn't bring myself to order it again.

You're right about the Princess sorbet. Delicious.

Edited by Pam in CA

I think Princess has the worst ice cream at sea. the scooped ice cream has a bad taste, period.

Reasonable taste buds may disagree.

Mine thoroughly enjoy the scooped ice cream in the dining room.

Edited by caribill

I mean, meatloaf and fried chicken in the dining room? I was expecting more beef wellington and other more luxurious items.

The meatloaf and fried chicken are some of the "Homestyle" options, and they are included for the people who don't care for the more "luxurious" items. There is only one "Homestyle" item per menu, and the rest are fancier things. Beef Wellington is served on the second formal night. Surely if you saw enough of the menus to see the meatloaf and fried chicken, you must have also seen that there are many other options to choose from each night. :confused:

The meatloaf and fried chicken are some of the "Homestyle" options, and they are included for the people who don't care for the more "luxurious" items. There is only one "Homestyle" item per menu, and the rest are fancier things. Beef Wellington is served on the second formal night. Surely if you saw enough of the menus to see the meatloaf and fried chicken, you must have also seen that there are many other options to choose from each night. :confused:

I like the meatloaf. It's the only Homestyle I order. The MDR ice cream is pretty good, too. There are several flavors each night. You can also order a sundae with all kinds of different toppings. I can't tell you about the soft serve since I've never eaten it.

The soft serve has a bad aftertaste; the scooped ice cream has a bad taste, period.

When you say "scooped" you must mean the scooped stuff at the ice cream bar NOT the DR stuff which in most opinions is pretty good. I think the hard stuff in the tub at the ice cream bar is just left over soft serve from the previous day which they use to make their shakes unless you especially ask for it thinking it's real ice cream. :rolleyes:

IMO some of the ships do have their soft serve machines set up correctly for the proper blend & it is passable although no comparison to the DR stuff.

Thanks for the clarification guys. My comments on the main dining room menus were not meant to offend or confuse. The pictures I was viewing of the menus were not the clearest, so maybe I missed some things.

As far as food quality and ice cream goes, the one Carnival cruise we took had excellent food and soft serve ice cream... You would think since both lines are owned by the same company, they would be able to carry out a certain amount of food consistency between lines, if nothing else but cost savings.

I know food is one of many areas where two people can eat the same thing at the same time and have entirely different reactions to it.

I know we will have a great time and will not go hungry.

I also hope they have some non-dairy options as my daughter is having issues with dairy products.

Imagine the mess if they had self serve soft ice cream!

It is done on Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Disney every day and the area stays pretty neat for the most part. There is always crew nearby to take care of spills and drips.

There's no ice cream "card" on any Princess ship anywhere. There is complimentary soft-serve ice cream on Lido deck near the pool but it's not self-serve. On the Island Princess, you'll see it on the deck plans, "Ice Cream Bar." I think they have vanilla, chocolate and perhaps a swirl.

There is no gelato on the Island Princess so you don't have to worry about using a coffee card to get some. It doesn't apply to the Island Princess.

There's delicious hand made regular ice cream in the dining room at lunch and dinner with about five flavors available every night and three special flavors that night.

If you decide to get the "Soda & More" sticker for your cruise card, you can mike shakes or smoothies.

Pam,Sorry to disagree with a friend but Princess did sell an Ice cream card back around 2008 and I was given one by an officer friend.I still have it with my coffee cards and it has 2 punches left.It is called a Sundaes Card!

Pam,Sorry to disagree with a friend but Princess did sell an Ice cream card back around 2008 and I was given one by an officer friend.I still have it with my coffee cards and it has 2 punches left.It is called a Sundaes Card!
Thanks. Got it. Now I remember. I just never went to (or go to) Sundaes. Love the dining room ice cream, particularly the hazelnut or coffee mocha.