getting to Mendenhall Glacier - city bus vs. glacier shuttle

SparkleBee

Also if you ride the shuttle for $10 each way don't buy your return ticket. That way when you want to leave Mendenhall you can purchase a ticket on the bus from which ever shuttle is leaving next. When we went and were ready to return the blue shuttle had a long line but the white shuttle had no line so we were able to get right on and have a seat. It was great since it was raining and I was with my elderly parents.

pretty sure MGT is the blue glacier shuttle. if you have 2 people it's probably the best way bc it's $40 total. the car I rented was $60. so unless you really want to drive around (which I didn't really need to) then it will cost more to rent a car. maybe you can get it cheaper than I did.

Someone mentioned MGT. is this another alternate transport? We are leaning toward shuttle, but want to explore all options for 2 people.

MGT is a long time shuttle vendor, who also runs a very good Mendenhall Glacier TOUR, which includes commentary, and drive by of Juneau sights. They pick up at the Tram for their shuttle service.

MGT is a long time shuttle vendor, who also runs a very good Mendenhall Glacier TOUR, which includes commentary, and drive by of Juneau sights. They pick up at the Tram for their shuttle service.

Tis may be our only time in Alaska. Which do you recommend: the MG tour or the shuttle?

Tis may be our only time in Alaska. Which do you recommend: the MG tour or the shuttle?

A tour may or may not be the best option. Depends what you're looking for. If you think you might want to spend time at Mendenhall, walk to falls, and explore a few trails, you may not have that kind of time on a tour; you'll be on a schedule. So find out how much time you'll be at Mendenhall and see if that works for you:

http://mightygreattrips.com/tours/

Hi all

We are family of 4 planed to visit Mendenhall, please suggest should we take a taxi or take the Blue Bus? Any idea how much the taxi will cost for around trip and how much the blue bus will cost? After the blue bus stop, how far that we have to walk to the glacier?

Hi all

We are family of 4 planed to visit Mendenhall, please suggest should we take a taxi or take the Blue Bus? Any idea how much the taxi will cost for around trip and how much the blue bus will cost? After the blue bus stop, how far that we have to walk to the glacier?

The shuttle bus is $20 per person. A cab would be in the $35 range, so similar pricing for 4 people. An additional option is a rental car, which would offer you more sightseeing, if of interest.

Are cabs readily available at the glacier visitor center to return you to the cruise pier?

No, you will have to call for a cab. I would call about 30 minutes prior to needing the ride and tell them what time you want to be picked up. Or prearrange the pick up with who drops you off.

I'm sure it's only a google search away, but how far is the rental car place from the port? Does one need to spend money on a shuttle to get to the car? I did a search for a car and I'm coming up with $100 for the day :eek: You guys must know the tricky places to look ;)

I'm sure it's only a google search away, but how far is the rental car place from the port? Does one need to spend money on a shuttle to get to the car? I did a search for a car and I'm coming up with $100 for the day :eek: You guys must know the tricky places to look ;)

You need to check AVIS at the Goldbelt, or Juneau Car Rental/independent.

Both are walkable from cruise ships, IF no mobility limitations.

We are a group of 10. Are we likely to find cabs that would hold more than 4 passengers, allowing us to take 2 cabs to Mendenhall Glacier? Or would we need 3 cabs?

I've seen van/suv cabs. You may have to wait, but should be available?

After reading this thread I went and looked up the cost for a rental car when we are there in June 2015. $35 with Avis. BOOM. Done. I am so happy - the cost for our little family of four for the bus and back would have been $80 and now we have freedom to spend the whole day tootling around. Very excited!

So - note to others - definitely check out rental cars!

Fantastic idea! Take full advantage of that rental car. Don't just limit yourself to Mendenhall. Get up to Basin Rd. There's a short hike called the Flume Trail that follows the tracks of the old gold mine. You can also go to the Alaskan Brewery, take a tour, and get 4 free samples. Also, check out Douglas where you can drive up to the ski resort. If you have time, I also recommend making the drive out to Echo Cove. It's really pretty out there.

Fantastic idea! Take full advantage of that rental car. Don't just limit yourself to Mendenhall. Get up to Basin Rd. There's a short hike called the Flume Trail that follows the tracks of the old gold mine. You can also go to the Alaskan Brewery, take a tour, and get 4 free samples. Also, check out Douglas where you can drive up to the ski resort. If you have time, I also recommend making the drive out to Echo Cove. It's really pretty out there.

Alaska Brewery has discontinued their tours this year, only samples are available.

If the salmon are running a stop at the hatchery. Chapel on the Lake at Alaska U

Alaska Brewery has discontinued their tours this year, only samples are available.

U

Correct, but it's still hosted and their brewing process and history are still explained from a glass room looking into the brewery. The tasting took a good 30-40 minutes.

Correct, but it's still hosted and their brewing process and history are still explained from a glass room looking into the brewery. The tasting took a good 30-40 minutes.

That's all we had when we went in 2009, no actual "tour". Have they ever done real tours?

Last trip we did a whale watching tour and then were dropped off at Mendenhall Glacier. It was a little rushed as they picked us up in less than an hour.

We want to do the whale watching again and this time we wanted to take our time at the glacier.

Can we readily get on a shuttle out at the Glacier back to town or is it just a round trip ticket from the pier? Does anyone know what time the shuttles end for the day?

Edited by marysb

That's all we had when we went in 2009, no actual "tour". Have they ever done real tours?

Not that I know of. I've been there 3 times in the past few years, and it was the same every time. Different beers, but same presentation.

We had a group talk/walk with a guide that did take us to some windows in 2012. Lasted about 30 minutes.

Last trip we did a whale watching tour and then were dropped off at Mendenhall Glacier. It was a little rushed as they picked us up in less than an hour.

We want to do the whale watching again and this time we wanted to take our time at the glacier.

Can we readily get on a shuttle out at the Glacier back to town or is it just a round trip ticket from the pier? Does anyone know what time the shuttles end for the day?

Tickets are one way. Plan on leaving by 6pm.

Thanks - One more question - Can we just get on the shuttle and pay there, or do we need to buy a ticket ahead of time?

You pay the driver. :) The best option, if you are there later in the day and get decide to stay past the shuttle bus operations. Then all you need to do is call a cab. May be well worth the extra expense for two.