Which flight/airport?

Let me start by saying please don't get on to me about flying in the day of your cruise. I know the risks, I've never done it before, but due to school schedules I need to do it this time.

With that said, I have two options for my Bermuda from Boston in October.

Looking for advice from anyone that has experience with DC or Charlotte airports.

Options 1:

Dayton to DC, DC to Boston 37 minute layover (may have to change terminals)

Option 2:

Dayton to Charlotte, Charlotte to Boston , 53 minute layover (may have to change terminals)

The DC airport looks smaller and easier to navigate, but I'm just not sure if that's because of the map or if it's true.

No direct flights, so these are my options. Which one would you choose?

May I suggest that you post this on the Cruise Air Board.

My own view is that 37 minute connection is too risky.

Again, I would post on the Cruise Air Board to see what others think and also maybe someone will have another option for you although I realize options to Bermuda are limited.

Keith

Have you considered the advantages of a nonstop? There are advantages to flying with Southwest but I'd vote for a nonstop over free baggage. Too many things can go wrong with connections under an hour.

Edited by Grannycb

Let me start by saying please don't get on to me about flying in the day of your cruise. I know the risks, I've never done it before, but due to school schedules I need to do it this time.

Looking for advice from anyone that has experience with DC or Charlotte airports.

Options 1:

Option 2:

Dayton to Charlotte, Charlotte to Boston , 53 minute layover (may have to change terminals)

The DC airport looks smaller and easier to navigate, but I'm just not sure if that's because of the map or if it's true.

Although flying in the day of is somewhat risky, the earlier you can fly the better. I've been through both D.C and Charlotte's airports, and, depending on the arrival time in Boston, I would chose going through Charlotte. D.C. is a bigger airport, and depending on how close the gate is for your connecting flight, you may have a long walk to get from one gate to the other. 37 minutes doesn't give you much time if there's any sort of delay with your flight going into D.C. Something to think about.

Have you considered the advantages of a nonstop? There are advantages to flying with Southwest but I'd vote for a nonstop over free baggage. Too many things can go wrong with connections under an hour.

A nonstop would be great...if there were one. But there are no nonstops from Dayton to Boston.

OP - although there are no nonstops from Dayton, there are nonstops from Cincinnati to Boston. Do look at that - in my opinion, it would be worth the drive to Cincinnati to grab an early morning nonstop to Boston, if the price is competitive. On October 17th, there is a Delta flight (DL3451) CVG-BOS, 7:20am - 9:26am. Also a DL3301 flight, CVG-BOS, 11:40am - 1:45pm.

But of the two, I would be nervous of 37 minutes, even at Reagan Airport (which is fairly compact and easy). Charlotte is out of the way, but super easy and that layover should be fine. But do also look at Southwest via Baltimore. Southwest is offering a flight DAY-BWI-BOS on October 17th that leaves at 7:55am, has 1:05 layover in Baltimore, and arrives in to Boston at 11:50am.

Edited by Zach1213

Options 1:

Option 2:

If I had to do one of those I'd choose the one with the longer layover.

Which DC airport? Connections at National (DCA) sometimes require reclearing security if they involve changing concourses. You don't want to do that, especially if the layover is that tight.

CLT is a really easy airport for connections but is prone to thunderstorms in the summer. I'm assuming you're on morning flights which helps since they're delayed much less frequently than afternoon/evening flights.

It may be worth driving to Indy or Cincinnati. Delta has nonstops to Boston out of both airports.

EDIT: Just checked where you can fly out of Dayton. DAY-DTW-BOS on Delta is another good option. Detroit rarely has delays in my experience.

Edited by realjd

Which DC airport? Connections at National (DCA) sometimes require reclearing security if they involve changing concourses. You don't want to do that, especially if the layover is that tight.

If OP is connecting through DCA, they are on US Airways. In that case, there is a shuttle that runs between concourses/piers that avoids the need to re-clear security. While that does add time, making the connection even tighter, there shouldn't be a need to re-clear at DCA. I would still avoid that connection, though.

Edited by Zach1213

I am 40 minutes from Dayton, 2 hours from Cincy. I've done Cincy 3 times in the last year and frankly I'm just sick of the drive. And the price for a direct flight is $100 more. Believe me, I'd love a direct flight.

I'd forgotten about southwest! Their flights are actually about $35 cheaper, which I could use to pay for the early bird check in. And bags fly free which is going to save me another $150!

Looks like the layover for Southwest is just under an hour both ways, not too shabby!

The only downfall is that Southwest doesn't arrive in Boston until 11:50, where as US Airways was arriving at 9:50am. I've never gotten to the cruise port so late before. It should be a full swing madhouse by then!

But if we can get an upgrade to a suite it should speed things up with Priority Embarkation.

Thanks for all the replies. I was going to post in the cruise/air forum but it was 3am and I couldn't find it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums