London Heathrow to Southampton

If you want something cheaper than a car service (as above), best way is the National Express coach. It picks up at all Heathrow terminals. Your destination is "Southampton coach station"...ignore the cruise terminal option. It takes about 2hrs 15mins, usually runs about every 2 hours and should cost £15 - £20 (but sometimes cheaper if you can get a 'funfare').

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Simon

Edited by sddsddean

As previous answers, private transfer or Nat Express coach, depending on your depth of pocket.

Guessing that your B&B is in the Hill Lane area, so a taxi from the coach station will be £10 or less.

The other main option from Heathrow is the train, but there's no direct service - it involves a RailAir shuttlebus from Heathrow to the nearest mainline station (usually Woking, sometimes Reading) for a direct train to Southampton central station. So a little more complicated than Nat Express and about double the money, but journey times the same.

Half-hourly service & no need to pre-book, so its a useful Plan B if other arrangements go belly-up.

JB :)

If you want something cheaper than a car service (as above), best way is the National Express coach. It picks up at all Heathrow terminals. Your destination is "Southampton coach station"...ignore the cruise terminal option. It takes about 2hrs 15mins, usually runs about every 2 hours and should cost £15 - £20 (but sometimes cheaper if you can get a 'funfare').

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Simon

They really do a great job and if you can get a funfare it is stupid cheap.

They really do a great job and if you can get a funfare it is stupid cheap.

Nice try, Kirk, but no "fun-fares" on airport routes - they know that folk using airports have to travel, so it's standard fares of about £18.

But those silly-cheap fares often between central London & Southampton - even though that route includes stops at ................. Heathrow Airport !

Nice try, Kirk, but no "fun-fares" on airport routes - they know that folk using airports have to travel, so it's standard fares of about £18.

But those silly-cheap fares often between central London & Southampton - even though that route includes stops at ................. Heathrow Airport !

Thanks for correcting me, we actually boarded at Victoria Station so we did get the fun fare, did not realize that about Heathrow. Makes sense as you say they have a more captive audience.

Anyone heard of Blackberry?

They seem to be cheaper.

I used Blackberry to go from our London hotel to the airport a few weeks ago. I would recommend them as well. I thought they were more expensive than West Quay Cars though when I got quotes but if not, go with Blackberry.

I used Blackberry to go from our London hotel to the airport a few weeks ago. I would recommend them as well. I thought they were more expensive than West Quay Cars though when I got quotes but if not, go with Blackberry.

Did Blackberry ask you to prepay? Did you?

I indicated we wanted to pay cash and now they want us to prepay.

Yes, they asked me to pre-pay and I did. I prefer to pre-pay since I'd rather use my card than cash anyway. We just tipped our driver in cash.

We will be using West Quay cars from London to Southampton.....just out of curiosity how much did you tip the driver?

We will be using West Quay cars from London to Southampton.....just out of curiosity how much did you tip the driver?

I tipped 10% based on this article on TripAdvisor:

"If taking a licenced London taxi cab to or from Heathrow or in London a 10% tip is the average amount, although as in the previous paragraph, it is not a requirement, nor should it be expected by the driver."

While I know it's not expected, the driver was very appreciative.

"If taking a licenced London taxi cab to or from Heathrow or in London a 10% tip is the average amount, although as in the previous paragraph, it is not a requirement, nor should it be expected by the driver."
Slightly OT for the query, but the drivers of licensed taxis ("black cabs") in London now have tip expectations that are significantly lower than 10%.

Thank you for your feedback! Tipping can be such a challenge, given different expectations, especially between NA and Europe.

And a little more complicated by Americans' reputations.

That Heathrow to Southampton should cost around the £100 mark. So 10% would be £10.

Most Brit couples would tip £5 & the driver would be happy enough. But if an American tipped £5 he'd be a tad disappointed, he'd be hoping for a tenner. ;)

But he wouldn't worry, nor would he say anything if he got no tip at all.

Tips in the UK are for a job done well. I drove coach tours & used tips as a measure - not of the generosity of different groups but of how good a job I'd done.

Poor tips generally meant I hadn't been in good form that day

Edited by John Bull

Thank you! A well-reasoned reply. I like the idea of tipping as you described, and feel very comfortable with tipping as a thank you and recognition of good and friendly service. Unfortunately it isn't always the case here in Toronto...all too often, it's just expected.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app