Any tips for cruising from Boston?

engrstudent

My wife and I FINALLY committed to taking an upcoming cruise on the Maasdam from Boston. I was just wondering what the board thought about leaving from Boston and in particular:

-recommendations on hotels and hotel locations (I'm thinking it shouldn't matter too much as Boston is a big city and should be pretty easy to get around)

-ease of getting to the port and embarkation (again, I'm assuming it should be pretty easy if we fly in the day before)

-suggestions on sightseeing. We are planning on flying in as early as possible the day before so as to have a full day to explore Boston. I know Boston is not a one-day town but considering its history and diversity some things may be more interesting than other. I'm thinking about seeing Old Ironsides.

My wife and I FINALLY committed to taking an upcoming cruise on the Maasdam from Boston. I was just wondering what the board thought about leaving from Boston and in particular:

-recommendations on hotels and hotel locations (I'm thinking it shouldn't matter too much as Boston is a big city and should be pretty easy to get around)

-ease of getting to the port and embarkation (again, I'm assuming it should be pretty easy if we fly in the day before)

-suggestions on sightseeing. We are planning on flying in as early as possible the day before so as to have a full day to explore Boston. I know Boston is not a one-day town but considering its history and diversity some things may be more interesting than other. I'm thinking about seeing Old Ironsides.

We left from Boston on our Panama Canal cruise. We flew in (early) departure day morning. We have friends that live there and they met us and we spent the day exploring Boston. They took us on a drive around Boston to get a little of the lay of the land and we stopped for breakfast. We went to the Museum of Science and took the Duck Tour. Afterward, we walked some of the Freedom Trail to Bunker Hill, USS Constitution, Old North Church and then caught the MTA back to the museum to get the car. Our friends then drove us to the port. We got there around 2:30. Absolutely no line and we went directly to our room to drop our stuff. As we were leaving our room to go get something to eat, our luggage was arriving at our room.

Yes, we only had a "taste" of Boston, but the day was glorious and warm and we'll be back.

Sorry, can't help with hotels and transportation much.

Edited by Shmoo here

suggestions on sightseeing. We are planning on flying in as early as possible the day before so as to have a full day to explore Boston. I know Boston is not a one-day town but considering its history and diversity some things may be more interesting than other. I'm thinking about seeing Old Ironsides.

If you're visiting Old Ironsides, I'd suggest also walking all or part of the Freedom Trail which runs along Old Ironsides across the Charles River through colonial parts of Boston.

If you're a baseball fan, take a guided tour of Fenway Park.

By all means visit USS Constitution. A fabulous sight.......

Old North Church, Paul Revere House,

Isabella Steward Gardner Museum

Fenway Park

JFK Library

See Copley Square and Boston Public Library - beautiful building and I believe one of the first public libraries in the country

Harvard/Harvard Square

Boston Public Gardens

Fanueil Hall

Art Galleries on Newbury Street

And so many more sights...... Boston has so much to see and do.

It's hard to recommend a hotel when you don't mention your priorities.

Clearly Boston has a great many hotels all the way from The Ritz/Taj and Four Seasons to far lower end.

What do you require/want in your hotel?

We stayed at the Westin Waterfront Hotel, it was a great location. you can see the port/cruise ship from the hotel. It is walkable but if you have a lot of luggage you can hop on the train (subway station across the street from hotel) and for a couple of $'s be at the cruise terminal in minutes!

By all means visit USS Constitution. A fabulous sight.......

Old North Church, Paul Revere House,

Isabella Steward Gardner Museum

Fenway Park

JFK Library

See Copley Square and Boston Public Library - beautiful building and I believe one of the first public libraries in the country

Harvard/Harvard Square

Boston Public Gardens

Fanueil Hall

Art Galleries on Newbury Street

And so many more sights...... Boston has so much to see and do.

Sail, thank you for sharing this list. We are sailing on the Maasdam in August and staying at the Renaissance Waterfront. We have walked the Freedom Trail but have not gone in the Paul Revere House nor the Old North Church and will plan to do so. Our list of to do items also includes Fanueil Hall and now the Boston Public Gardens. I am sure there will be another trip to Boston in our future. There is never a shortage of things to see in Boston.

It's hard to recommend a hotel when you don't mention your priorities.

Clearly Boston has a great many hotels all the way from The Ritz/Taj and Four Seasons to far lower end.

What do you require/want in your hotel?

I think the only thing that matters to us is to have a place that makes accessing the port easily the day of embarkation. We were looking at the Westin Waterfront as I can get a good deal with my credit card reward points. I think worknfortravel just solidified that choice.

I knew there was a walking trail in Boston but couldn't remember what it was called but it's good to know it's called the Freedom trail.

How about any restaurants...I'm a bit of a foodie, any places that stick out as especially interesting or delicious?

workinfortravel...Just how do you "hop on a train" with lots of luggage?

Getting to Black Falcon has never been a problem for us....but that would certainly not apply to everyone's physical abilities or limitations.

From Logan, we always take the MBTA bus, Route SL1 which brings folks to the South Station in less than 10 minutes. Then, one "hops" onto the SL2 which brings you to the Design Center/Black Falcon in 7 minutes.

I pay senior's rate, thus it costs a grand total of 75 cents for this mode of transportation.

And as for getting around Boston to see most of the sights, I purchase an MBTA day pass....about 10 bucks.

Westin Waterfront is fine. Lots of cruisers stay there as it is very near the port and fast taxi ride from airport. There is not a lot nearby but you can hop the

T", which is our public transportation system (short for "MBTA") or a taxi.

You can never go wrong with Legal Seafood for delicious lobsters etc.

There are about 4 locations in Boston. If you will be out and about, you can decide the one that will be closest to where you will be.

You also can have fabulous Italian food in the North End. It's easy to get to from Westin Waterfront and it's a fun area of the city. Great food in so many of the restaurants in that section.

Getting to Black Falcon has never been a problem for us....but that would certainly not apply to everyone's physical abilities or limitations.

From Logan, we always take the MBTA bus, Route SL1 which brings folks to the South Station in less than 10 minutes. Then, one "hops" onto the SL2 which brings you to the Design Center/Black Falcon in 7 minutes.

I pay senior's rate, thus it costs a grand total of 75 cents for this mode of transportation.

And as for getting around Boston to see most of the sights, I purchase an MBTA day pass....about 10 bucks.

Depending when you were here last, you may find the "T" rates are higher. They still offer the senior rate.