Meet and Greet

Cinder Again

So, I am responsible for setting up a future meet and greet. I've done it before, but the thought occurred to me that some of you have set them up, and may have some good ideas to try. I don't want to exchange small gifts as that is already set up for our cruise for later in our trip.

I usually give folks customized door signs, and name tags, any other ideas would be appreciated. I think we'll have between 50 and 60 folks, as this is one of the longer cruises. Thanks!

P.S. Oh, and if any of you know how to fix the "gif" next to my name in my signature, I'd appreciate knowing how!

Edited by Cinder Again

A Meet & Greet for a group that large is a big undertaking. Good for you for taking it on! I have just two thoughts about the question you posed.

First, before letting everyone introduce themselves (because there are so many) give whatever ship's officers are there the opportunity to speak to the group. Their time is limited, and I've actually seem them leave before their greeting because the introductions were taking so long.

Second, the ship's photographer will often stop by, if asked, and do a very nice group photo. They don't charge for coming, and you might be surprised how many CCer's like that photo as a personal memento of the group.

Have fun !!!

My advice is keep it simple. The main reason for a M&G is to meet your fellow CC cruisers.

Your on a cruise not a Cruise Director. Personally I don't feel it is necessary to decorate doors and deliver invitations. We are dealing with adults here and after continuous reminders on Roll Call they should be able to remember the date, time and location if they really want to attend.

Meet, visit and enjoy the moment.

P.S. Oh, and if any of you know how to fix the "gif" next to my name in my signature, I'd appreciate knowing how!

It only shows up with gif tag in certain forum clients. If you want to get rid of it, you can replace it with a JPEG of the same file.

My advice is keep it simple. The main reason for a M&G is to meet your fellow CC cruisers.

Your on a cruise not a Cruise Director. Personally I don't feel it is necessary to decorate doors and deliver invitations. We are dealing with adults here and after continuous reminders on Roll Call they should be able to remember the date, time and location if they really want to attend.

Meet, visit and enjoy the moment.

I agree with this post. After having been a teacher for 34 years and having to decorate etc, I do not want to do that for adults. That hour goes by so fast. No one will notice or even care! But, if you get pleasure in doing it...do what makes you happy. If an adult cannot remember the date of the M&G, how will they remember the dates and details of their excursions??? I've planned 4. I've done no more than nametags, and they really aren't necessary either. If people don't see names, it gives them an excuse to go up to people and introduce themselves.

I selected Mardi Gras masks as our "Theme", not manadatory. Some wore masks, some wore beads, etc. Another member of our Roll Call had a Mardi Gras banner she brought for decoration. I was told nothing could be attached to the ship. I checked out poppers, confetti, etc but decided that would be too messy to clean up, so I brought curling ribbon and made streamers myself.

I had chosen upper deck in the open just after the Muster Drill, so it was right at sail-away. I was told the crew might not be able to attend, as they would all be busy with sail-away, but I was delighted that we had possibly 8-10 crew members show.

I had made Cruise Critic nametags and had a few blanks for anyone that showed up unexpectedly. We did do a small gift from hometown exchange at the Meet N Greet, then another CC member arranged a cabin crawl with poker draw, a slot pull, and a special birthday dinner at Cagney's. Then an added bonus after the M&G, those that signed the attendance sheet, were invited to dine with the staff one night and most were also invited to a Bridge Tour.

The lady that had started planning had to cancel out of the cruise, so I took over the meet and greet, but asked others to take over the other activities. We all had a great time and out of 60 that signed up, 58 showed up. I did no additional invitations or announcements. I had posted the date, time and location for the Meet & Greet on our Roll Call and updated it at least once a week.

Remember the main idea is to meet your fellow CC cruisers and have fun!

Why not ask the people on the roll call what they would like to have. Some folks like the elaborate affairs, while others prefer to just sit and get to know each other. They are the ones who will be attending, so see what they feel about various suggestions.

Simple is best, in my opinion. But that is just me. I used to see cabin door tags from time to time, but I think I remember reading that HAL no longer allows this?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the ideas, I particularly liked Donna's photographer suggestion, as something I've never thought of doing! We have taken group pictures before, but this would provide an option for those that prefer to purchase pics.

I have done a few of them, and will be doing two back to back on cruises, and believe me, , packing is always at a premium, so I won't be adding extra much to my suitcases! We are bringing school supplies fordistribution at Fanning island, so what little extra space I have is going to that endeavor.

We already have several other events planned with the group, but as usual, I asked a question and you all supplied ideas. Thank you!