Carnival stops going to Tortola

LuckyZ

I just looked at a few vids on getting there thru the rock formation. What a trip.

Looks pretty rough and tight at a few places just to reach the beach....

Is there treasure at the end of the rainbow?? drinks or snacks being sold? I did not see any on the few vids I watched.....

Happily, you don't have to go through the baths to get to the beach.

Yes, you can buy beer and Coke type drinks at a little place on the beach.

LuLu

SpeedsterX, I'm with you...the only ships that should stop at Nassau are the ones that do the 3 and 4 nighters from Florida.

I never book a longer cruise that has a stop in Nassau. I never liked Nassau even on my first visit. If I see Nassau in the itinerary, I pick another cruise ship/itinerary. I have sailed on the Sensation a few times from Port Canaveral and as soon as we dock in Nassau, I either take a taxi to Atlantis for a couple of hours or I stay on the ship.

Nassau is a waste of a Port stop as far as I'm concerned. The Port area is dirty, crowded and full of loud, pushy vendors, begging children, vagrants, yuck. Forget about getting into Senor Frogs if there is more than one ship in port. The free beach that is within walking distance, Junkanoo Beach, is also filty and there is broken glass and debris scattered in the sand. I can't think of one redeeming quality about docking in Nassau.

I've only been to Tortola once and took a snorkeling excursion to Norman Island which was spectacular.

SpeedsterX, I'm with you...the only ships that should stop at Nassau are the ones that do the 3 and 4 nighters from Florida.

I never book a longer cruise that has a stop in Nassau. I never liked Nassau even on my first visit. If I see Nassau in the itinerary, I pick another cruise ship/itinerary. I have sailed on the Sensation a few times from Port Canaveral and as soon as we dock in Nassau, I either take a taxi to Atlantis for a couple of hours or I stay on the ship.

Nassau is a waste of a Port stop as far as I'm concerned. The Port area is dirty, crowded and full of loud, pushy vendors, begging children, vagrants, yuck. Forget about getting into Senor Frogs if there is more than one ship in port. The free beach that is within walking distance, Junkanoo Beach, is also filty and there is broken glass and debris scattered in the sand. I can't think of one redeeming quality about docking in Nassau.

I've only been to Tortola once and took a snorkeling excursion to Norman Island which was spectacular.

Nassau has some good parts. The Fish Fry has great food, and both Graycliff Cigars and John Watling rum distillery are well worth the walk.

We are booked on this cruise too and booked it because we have never been to Tortola.

BUT......while we were a bit disappointed it's all good because we are crusing and that's all that really matters to us....:D

I see you are on the same cruise as we are. The only reason we didn't cancel is

because they replaced Tortola with San Juan

Hey Carnival, do everyone a favor and keep Tortola and ditch Nassau! It's a dirty funky island that the only nice place is Atlantis, the Disney $$$ of the Caribbean! :rolleyes:

Better yet, ditch Nassau for St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Barts!

Very well said............ we would like to see all the cruise lines to change-up the Ports for more variety. We know the smaller islands would probably require tenders.

We just got off the Liberty on June 15th and I believe we were the last Carnival cruise to stop at Tortola for the next few years at least.

It's a shame because I think Tortola is one of nicest ports in the Carribean

Any thoughts?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5581

Having been there, I don't think there's a loss. The most popular thing people did when they go there was to leave there and go to another island to visit the baths.

And then others went to Cane Garden Bay, which we were always cautioned about the high bacteria count in the water, where all those ships docked there just flushed their waste into those waters. Kinda explained the less than white sand. Glad I went, but no loss hearing this.

There are speed ferries for those that want to go to Tortola from St. Thomas, but you need a passport. There are also ferries that go from St Thomas to Virgin Gorda, but only three days a week. It's a 90 minute ride.

Edited by TPFKAH

It's not Carnival, NCL signed an exclusivity contract (along with Disney). We loved Tortola also. Exclusivity contracts are a terrible thing for the island and cruising in general.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm pretty sure I read elsewhere that NCL and Disney are investing in the new Port expansion. Page 4 of the attached proposal gives the scope of the expansion ala Grand Turk http://www.bviports.org/uploads/EOI%20-%20Cruise%20Pier%20Project%20-%20Upland%20Development.pdf

I'm pretty sure I read elsewhere that NCL and Disney are investing in the new Port expansion. Page 4 of the attached proposal gives the scope of the expansion ala Grand Turk http://www.bviports.org/uploads/EOI%20-%20Cruise%20Pier%20Project%20-%20Upland%20Development.pdf

While this is true, when it holds an exclusive arrangement to the island, it cannot be anything but bad for the island in the long run. Having cruiselines compete with each other holds the best economic advantage for the island (by far, esp in the long run).

With Tortola you have an island starving for tourist dollars, totally different than GT.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Spirit and Legend were the only two ships that were fast enough to go to the Deep Southern Caribbean ports of call and back to Miami, FL. But now the Spirit is in Australia and the Legend sails out of Tampa which is too far from the So. Caribbean. CCL has to get different port of calls to keep things interesting ,do you agree ?

Gary

Edited by Shipbound

While this is true, when it holds an exclusive arrangement to the island, it cannot be anything but bad for the island in the long run. Having cruiselines compete with each other holds the best economic advantage for the island (by far, esp in the long run).

With Tortola you have an island starving for tourist dollars, totally different than GT.

While I agree, this is certainly nothing new. All the major cruiselines have invested in ports such as GT, Jamaica, Haiti, Hondoras, etc.

My comparison with regards to GT was the fact that they are trying to make the Pier of Tortola a destination with shops and restaurants. Swaying many to stay by the ship vs. booking a local excursion.

Edited by NYcruzzer

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Spirit and Legend were the only two ships that were fast enough to go to the Deep Southern Caribbean ports of call and back to Miami, FL. But now the Spirit is in Australia and the Legend sails out of Tampa which is too far from the So. Caribbean. CCL has to get different port of calls to keep things interesting ,do you agree ?

Gary

I don't think that is right. We sailed on the Victory to St. Lucia and Barbados. The Breeze and Freedom go to Aruba which is about as south as you can get.

You may view Nassau as a waste, but recognize that it is the 2nd busiest port in the Caribbean (including Mexico). A skeptic might say you have a jaded view. What do you think of Jamaica? BTW, we loved Tortola....

Edited by jimbo5544

Even though I almost died in Tortola (extreme allergic reaction to "sea wasp" jellyfish sting), I was hoping to go back and see and experience more (more than just the sea rescue boat, ambulance, and emergency room:o:p:rolleyes:). Unfortunately, it seems I was on one of RCI's last cruises there (from Baltimore, at least). Now, they are offering Labadee instead of Tortola on their Eastern Caribbean cruises.:( So I guess I'll have to go NCL if I want to cruise there again?

Hey Carnival, do everyone a favor and keep Tortola and ditch Nassau! It's a dirty funky island that the only nice place is Atlantis, the Disney $$$ of the Caribbean! :rolleyes:

Better yet, ditch Nassau for St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Barts!

I agree, Nassau is the Pitts!!! would rather stop somewhere else, or have another sea day. St. Kitts, St. Bart's, St. Lucia would be wonderful!

You may view Nassau as a waste, but recognize that it is the 2nd busiest port in the Caribbean (including Mexico). What do you think of Jamaica? ....

I very much dislike Nassau and Jamaica, as well as Freeport and Progresso

Spent 3 days there when I was on a Navy Destroyer. But that was back in 1988. Im sure things have changed since then. It was better then Im sure then it is now since cruises became more popular and more crowded then back in 1988.

I very much dislike Nassau and Jamaica, as well as Freeport and Progresso

Does not leave much for you then I guess. If you add Cozumel to the list then you would cover pretty much Carnivals core ports.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone