Venice Tomorrow

rhinomike

I'm on the NCL Spirit right now. We will be in Venice tomorrow. We are looking for a great Resteraunt. I want great lasagna. Everyone else wants pasta or pizza. Suggestions? Not a tourist place. Thank you

If you find a restaurant in Venice that serves pasta, pizza and lasagna, I can almost guarantee you are in a tourist place. These are not traditional dishes of the Veneto region.

In Venice, if you want to eat local, look for restaurants that feature fish. And rice is more common than pasta. (Think risotto, not fettucini).

The best suggestion is to just stroll, enjoy Venice, and look at menus of restaurants until you find one that appeals to you. Restaurants in heavily trafficked areas will likely cost more. Avoid any place with someone out front talking to you in English and trying to get you to come in.

The restaurants that have all the pasta and pizza selections are going to be the touristy ones. The locals don't eat that stuff. The good news is that there are tons of restaurants that serve pasta and pizza. Lasagne I have not noticed on menus but that doesn't mean it isn't. I just haven't had it in Venice.

If you find a restaurant in Venice that serves pasta, pizza and lasagna, I can almost guarantee you are in a tourist place. These are not traditional dishes of the Veneto region.

In Venice, if you want to eat local, look for restaurants that feature fish. And rice is more common than pasta. (Think risotto, not fettucini).

The best suggestion is to just stroll, enjoy Venice, and look at menus of restaurants until you find one that appeals to you. Restaurants in heavily trafficked areas will likely cost more. Avoid any place with someone out front talking to you in English and trying to get you to come in.

Exactley, I don't recall ever seeing lasagna anywhere in Italy. If you want something unique to Venice find a place that serves the fried little crabs, they are too die for.

The Bolognese claim to have invented lasagna and do a delicious version. In the Marche, vincisgrassi is the local version, and very nice it is too. So it's out there, but I agree that Venice isn't going to be the best place to look for it.

Actually we recently returned from Italy and lasagna was served in a few places. We stayed on the island of Murano and frequented a restaurant near the hotel. My husband had the lasagna both times we went for dinner. Here is a photo:

236.jpg

We also went to a wine tasting in Tuscany where lasagna with truffle oil was served with our tasting. Both were excellent.

20140607_123324.jpg

Actually my mother was born near Venice and we return regularly. While lasagna (as Americans think of it) with ricotta and squiggly noodles is not served, they do serve and eat a pasticcio which is served with béchamel instead of the ricotta and a flat lasagna noodle. This is different than the Greek dish with the same name. Cicchetti, which is like tapas, are also served throughout Venice. It is great to go to a bar, drink some wine and eat some of these small plates (which are often seafood).