Formal Nights and Informal Nights

knittinggirl

Hello,could not agree more Toad.

On the Elizabeth last year a very nice man who we spoke to and with on many occasions did not buy a drink for the full 14 nights as a personal protest against the cost of the drinks.His biggest arguement was the 15% surcharge.If you cant afford the add ons dont go.

Yes, but whether you buy drinks or not is voluntary: for now anyway.

David.

It's mainly older people that get upset about the drinks prices because they don't go to city centre pubs in the UK and so they have no real idea what drinks cost. My father, for example, is clueless. He falls over at £3.00 for a pint of lager !! But in any city you won't get a pint for less than about £3.50 - £3.75, and £4.50 a pint is not uncommon where I go out (Liverpool and Chester).

It's the same for a glass of wine in the city centre; £8 for a glass is common, but a lot of people refuse to believe you because they don't go into the types of places that charge that.

So when they go on a cruise they think the drinks are hugely expensive and get very upset and bang on about "rip off prices" and refuse to pay it. But when I go on a cruise the prices what I'm used to paying. Another example, I was in the Holiday Inn in Bloomsbury last week; £5 or so for a pint of lager. So it's cheaper on the ship.

The 15% is another nonsense that gets a lot of people all upset for no reason, they get totally hung up about it. If a drink was say £4.60 they would moan but accept it. But if it's £4.00 + 15% (i.e. £4.60), they are up in arms !!

It's mainly older people that get upset about the drinks prices because they don't go to city centre pubs in the UK and so they have no real idea what drinks cost. My father, for example, is clueless. He falls over at £3.00 for a pint of lager !! But in any city you won't get a pint for less than about £3.50 - £3.75, and £4.50 a pint is not uncommon where I go out (Liverpool and Chester).

It's the same for a glass of wine in the city centre; £8 for a glass is common, but a lot of people refuse to believe you because they don't go into the types of places that charge that.

So when they go on a cruise they think the drinks are hugely expensive and get very upset and bang on about "rip off prices" and refuse to pay it. But when I go on a cruise the prices what I'm used to paying. Another example, I was in the Holiday Inn in Bloomsbury last week; £5 or so for a pint of lager. So it's cheaper on the ship.

The 15% is another nonsense that gets a lot of people all upset for no reason, they get totally hung up about it. If a drink was say £4.60 they would moan but accept it. But if it's £4.00 + 15% (i.e. £4.60), they are up in arms !!

Hi Toad, Hope you and your good lady are well.

I quite agree, that as 'oldies' we don't have a clue as to prices we rarely frequent pubs but that is irrelevant to us, if we fancy a drink we buy one.

However what is irritating to me is the 15% tip surcharge, it's not negotiable so should just be added to the price and the price should be shown with the tip included.

I'm not 'hung up' about it, just used to seeing the final price in shops and restaurants.

I understand that it is the American way to show taxes etc. separately but it just doesn't make sense to me, as a Brit I'd rather just see the bottom line.

Tip for Cunard, stop showing the price plus gratuity.

It's some time since I had a drink in Chester or Liverpool: I know I should get out more, so I hadn't thought of drinks prices locally. £2 a pint in the local residents club happy hour can't be bad in comparison.

Of course no one needs to pay Cunard prices if they want a drink. Just join the passengers skulking in their cabins complaining about the price of tonic water from room service.

Anyway I think you are drinking in the wrong pubs. This from the Radio Times.

THE SOAPLAND PRICE LIST

Pint of Bitter

The Rovers Return (Corrie) = £2.70

The Queen Vic (EastEnders) = £2.70

The Dog in the Pond (Hollyoaks) = £2.75

The Woolpack (Emmerdale) = £2.85

Pint of Lager

The Dog in the Pond (Hollyoaks) = £2.85

The Rovers Return (Corrie) = £2.95

The Queen Vic (EastEnders) = £3.00

The Woolpack (Emmerdale) = £3.29

David.

...just used to seeing the final price in shops and restaurants.

I understand that it is the American way to show taxes etc. separately but it just doesn't make sense to me, as a Brit I'd rather just see the bottom line.

Hello, yes, we are both very well !

I think you're hit the nail on the head there; it's because in the UK we just see the final price and that's it. When I go to the US, I look at a menu and add 30% or so on to the prices I see to cover the tax and the tip. I agree that the price of drink shown should be the actual price, not with an added percentage, but that's what they do in the US, that's what they on the ship.

It's some time since I had a drink in Chester or Liverpool: I know I should get out more, so I hadn't thought of drinks prices locally. £2 a pint in the local residents club happy hour can't be bad in comparison.

Telfords in Chester charge over £4.50 a pint for Peronni, as does the newish bar in the railway station. There's a new pub, opened about a year ago, very close to where to old Cheshire police headquarters used to be and I paid £5.05 for a bottle of Crabbies !!

Here's a good example; I took a mate to the Philharmonic in Liverpool last year (it's famous pub, lots of stained glass and oak panels, all original, I'm sure you'll know it) and he baulked at the price of our two drinks. We went into the large room at the back, and after a few minutes he said "You know, we're paying a pound extra just to drink in this room" ! Indeed, yes, we are.

Hello, yes, we are both very well !

I think you're hit the nail on the head there; it's because in the UK we just see the final price and that's it. When I go to the US, I look at a menu and add 30% or so on to the prices I see to cover the tax and the tip. I agree that the price of drink shown should be the actual price, not with an added percentage, but that's what they do in the US, that's what they on the ship.

Perhaps it also has something to do with the fact that the price is in dollars and some in the UK immediately translate that into GBP, believing they're paying about £13 for a large Sauvignon? On the P&O forum, there is much made of the difference between bar prices on Cunard and P&O - we were on P&O in January, are creatures of habit and, after a fortnight, our bar bill was only about 8% higher on Cunard.

Mary

We have just returned from our Queen Elizabeth cruise. I found it to be much more dressy that other companies. On the informal nights I noticed that some ladies wore dresses that were more like formal wear.

As far as the drinks are concerned, they were more expensive but I did notice that any free drinks given out at the Captain`s cocktail party or art events were a better quality bubbly than say Princess. :)

£4.50 a pint in Liverpool!? Where the hell are you drinking??

... We've been sailing Royal Caribbean, and their formal attire is recommended but not required. In fact, on our last cruise, no one at are table dressed for formal night. ...
How sad.
Sorry to say but a Typical comment from America.
I would accept your apology if only I knew what you were talking about.

I LVOED the formal nights on my crossing… The absolute highlight of the whole thing for me.

I was at a table for 8 and everyone came down looking absolutely amazing and, as we were sat near the main staircase on the QM2, we got to watch the precession of people arriving.

For men, it is quite easy, as long as you go along with it. Black suit (£60 from Marks and Spencer) a few white shirts, black shoes and a bow tie. Can't really get more simple, smart and elegant than that.

My stateroom was near the front of the ship, and I thoroughly enjoyed walking along the promenade deck to the Britannia restaurant at the back… I thought I was in some 1930's black and white movie… :D

Perhaps it also has something to do with the fact that the price is in dollars and some in the UK immediately translate that into GBP, believing they're paying about £13 for a large Sauvignon? On the P&O forum, there is much made of the difference between bar prices on Cunard and P&O - we were on P&O in January, are creatures of habit and, after a fortnight, our bar bill was only about 8% higher on Cunard.

Mary

Another thing that people get upset about is the cost of shorts. But the measures are almost twice what we get an a pub in the UK, plus there is no charge for a mixer if you have one. So shorts are actually quite cheap.

...For men, it is quite easy, as long as you go along with it. Black suit (£60 from Marks and Spencer) a few white shirts, black shoes and a bow tie. Can't really get more simple, smart and elegant than that… I thought I was in some 1930's black and white movie…

Black tie is the most ingenious ensemble ever designed for men. All men, regardless of age or physical build, look great in it.

Black tie is the most ingenious ensemble ever designed for men. All men, regardless of age or physical build, look great in it.

Indeed it is… And I love dressing in it.

I am already thinking about my wardrobe for a possible crossing in January with a happy glint in my eye :)

Another thing that people get upset about is the cost of shorts. But the measures are almost twice what we get an a pub in the UK, plus there is no charge for a mixer if you have one. So shorts are actually quite cheap.
That's true as long as the mixer comes out of the garden hose. I ordered a Jack & Ginger and was charged separately for the shot of Jack Daniels and the little bottle of ginger ale. It cost more than a martini.

I LVOED the formal nights on my crossing…

My stateroom was near the front of the ship, and I thoroughly enjoyed walking along the promenade deck to the Britannia restaurant at the back… I thought I was in some 1930's black and white movie… :D

What a marvelous image! Many thanks for that.

That's true as long as the mixer comes out of the garden hose. I ordered a Jack & Ginger and was charged separately for the shot of Jack Daniels and the little bottle of ginger ale. It cost more than a martini.

I'll give you a tip; don't ruin any spirit (whisky, vodka, whatever) with a mixer. When I was younger I used to drink scotch and Canada Dry. Then I worked out the Canada Dry was almost as much as the whisky, so I stopped drinking it with ginger and had twice as much whisky instead !:D

What does the cost of your pants have to do with drink prices? Maybe "shorts" is one of those words that has a different meaning in the US?