Have you purchased visa gift cards And used at guest service?

sunnydaygirl

My Kroger store gives 4x the gas points when purchasing gift cards. I'm thinking of buying one $25 everytime I shop from now till Aug 24. Can i take them to guest services and have all applied to account. It's prepaying for my drinks and getting a gas break at the pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My Kroger store gives 4x the gas points when purchasing gift cards. I'm thinking of buying one $25 everytime I shop from now till Aug 24. Can i take them to guest services and have all applied to account. It's prepaying for my drinks and getting a gas break at the pumps.

To the best of my knowledge, you can't use Visa gift cards on the ship for your on board account. However, if you're paying for your cruise on line directly to the cruise line, you might be able to apply the gift cards that way. To try it, purchase one (for maybe $25.00 ?) and see if it works. If it does, great! If not, use the gift card for something else you might need. ;)

Love those promotions! Our store here gives 2x except for special promotions of limited time when they do 4x. However, the Visa and other bank types are not included if they are the reloadable kind. Be sure to check on that specifically at your store.

Enjoy!

They can't be used on ships..>BUT you could buy yourself OBC with them before you leave I think.....(though it's not the smae thing, someone used one of the PrePid AMEX cards with their name on it to make a payment on a cruise...they had say 105 on it and wanted to pay 100...the cruise line authorized MORE than 100 and the whole thing was declined...what a mess...)

Many of them even say in the terms that they can't be used on ships....

Part of it is that your name is not on them, and part is that if they run it for more than, say the $25 that it is, they'll be declined and the funds take a while to go back....

Not all POS systems are smart enough to know the difference between a gift card and a credit/debit card...

Edited by megr1125

I have paid for the entire cruise via gift cards including excursions and Carnival gift cards. Never tried to use on board though. As previous poster said, just use the gift card to buy Cruise Cash (as long as you plan on using it all) or Carnival Gift cards on the website. You can do an electronic gift card, take it to guest services and they will apply them to your on board account.

I have paid for the entire cruise via gift cards including excursions and Carnival gift cards. Never tried to use on board though. As previous poster said, just use the gift card to buy Cruise Cash (as long as you plan on using it all) or Carnival Gift cards on the website. You can do an electronic gift card, take it to guest services and they will apply them to your on board account.

That's a good idea. Just use them to buy carnival gift cards. Thanks so much everyone. I knew I could count on you!!

A few things I don't like about Visa gift cards: there's a fee (while some store cards don't charge a fee to buy), there's an expiration date after which a monthly fee is deducted (in California, store cards don't have an expiration date, but Visa cards are excluded), and some stores won't check the balance for you (you have to go online to check).

But we've found we can use traveler's cheques to pay down our balance.

DD got several of the Visa cards for her birthday.

It's easier to convert them to gift cards then purchase what is wanted.

The big problem with these is when you return an item. Many times the purchase price gets refunded to this (now lost) card.