shocked and disgusted with p and o policy

pealittle

[quote name='SeagoingMom'][COLOR=DarkRed]Ultimately, what difference does it make whether a population of CC posters agrees or does not agree that this rate is riddiculous (sic)? It is your decision to sail or not.

According to Delta Airlines, if you fly internationally with an infant on your lap, you still pay for an airline ticket. Perhaps this is the policy of the airline you would be flying on to get to your cruise. In which case it sounds like you are getting your baby's cruise practically free.

Does the price you were quoted include taxes and port fees? These are undoubtedly calculated per "soul" (not per adult) on board.

Babies create messes -- they poop and pee (creating a lot of solid waste), they spit up (sometimes creating cleaning issues), they are washed and bathed (incurring water treatment costs), etc., etc. And as was said before, the ship is not going to discount a fare because the pax carry their own food and bedding for the infant.

I am not unsympathetic to the disappointment you feel regarding the cost you were quoted; lots of things cost more than I wish they did, too...

[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Yes it's my decision to sail or not and I do as I like the product they offer although it's more expensive than I would like.

P and O will calculate the port fees and taxes based upon expected occupancy and the anticipated age range of that occupancy based upon trends and past sailings so it won't be as simple as a 'soul'.

Yes my children poop and pee but this will be less than an adult and if my children 'spit up', I clean up the mess as I would not expect anyone to do this for me.

I gather you don't have children, hence the unsympathetic view.

I have booked 2 cabins for next year for roughly the same as I would have been paying for 1 (as is my sister for that matter who is coming with us), therefore P and O are potentially losing out on 2 cabins spending heavily in the bars and shops as we will spend the same regardless of if we were in 1 cabin or 2.

Again I am not complaining, I think it is unfair. If I didn't want to pay it then I wouldn't.

I saw the title of this thread and thought something really terrible had happened as the OP was "shocked and disgusted". However now I've read it through I am at a total loss to understand why anyone could be so shocked and disgusted because they've been offered a really cheap cruise to the Caribbean with flights included?? Two adults and a child for less than £2k. What more could you ask for? I always think P&O does a great job with the facilities for children and the OP is cutting off her nose to spite her face.

There seems to be a growing tendency to use emotive language on these board. I've just seen on another thread someone being advised to contact a Tv consumer programme because their friend isn't on the same flight as them.

Hi tartanexile82
Totally agree with you not just the forum but also the review section.
There is a review castigating P&O for their dining arrangements, having read it two or three times it would appear to have been a late cheap deal taken up by the reviewer who then berates the restaurant manager for not being given the table size or time they wish. Having posted the review and had a reply pointing out P&Os policy re late deals they tell the poster to mind his own business.
Happy cruising to all.

[quote name='tartanexile81']I saw the title of this thread and thought something really terrible had happened as the OP was "shocked and disgusted". However now I've read it through I am at a total loss to understand why anyone could be so shocked and disgusted because they've been offered a really cheap cruise to the Caribbean with flights included?? Two adults and a child for less than £2k. What more could you ask for? I always think P&O does a great job with the facilities for children and the OP is cutting off her nose to spite her face.

There seems to be a growing tendency to use emotive language on these board. I've just seen on another thread someone being advised to contact a Tv consumer programme because their friend isn't on the same flight as them.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's the times we live in. Where there's blame there's (apparently) a claim. "I'm going to contact Watchdog/Esther Rantzen/Local Rag/My MP)" can be overheard frequently.

Sometimes consumers think they are owed the world. I might be shocked and disgusted if I took my flight out to Barbados and found the ship was overbooked and P&O put me on the next flight home, but a fare price for a family which can be taken or left shouldn't cause such an emotive reaction.

Shop around, price up each cruise lines price for all of you in total include everything from flights to gratuities and then decide who best suits your needs.

All infants and toddlers will get the same attention and facilities regardless of the cruise line.

P&O work out the price per cabin and charge accordingly. If P&O have said they are charging your baby as a 3rd Adult will they be allocated a seat on board the aircraft, they should if that the reason and bite their hand off for the extra space Edited by Tom Baker
thought baby was 2 not 7 months originally (sorry)

There are loads of other unfair things. I have a single lady friend who cruises with us. If she takes a twin cabin she pays a single supplement, fair enough. But when she takes a single cabin, she still pays a single supplement - now how is that fair. only one person can be in the cabin?

I just wanted to clarify im not sure where mention of the Caribbean has come from as its a 1 week fly cruise to the med not a long haul flight option and also not a last minute holiday as its for October? as i have previously said i appreciate everyones replies its good to see it from all angels thats the beauty of a forum just because you think something does not mean you are wrong if someone disagrees and I think everyone has made very fair points and i appreciate seeing it from all angels, alot of comments regarding food are not valid as my son has special dietry requirements i probably should of mentioned it in the original post as it seems to of hit a note with some posters, trust me conditions for our family would be much better with out these considerations i wasnt using it as a reason to reduce the price. Thanks again for all the replies and the time taken to respond. I hope in the future il be able to post about future cruises we will be able to sail on maybe not with p&o but who knows. Thanks again

[quote name='tartanexile81']I saw the title of this thread and thought something really terrible had happened as the OP was "shocked and disgusted". However now I've read it through I am at a total loss to understand why anyone could be so shocked and disgusted because they've been offered a really cheap cruise to the Caribbean with flights included?? Two adults and a child for less than £2k. What more could you ask for? I always think P&O does a great job with the facilities for children and the OP is cutting off her nose to spite her face.

[B][B]There seems to be a growing tendency to use emotive language on these board. I've just seen on another thread someone being advised to contact a Tv consumer programme because their friend isn't on the same flight as them.[/B][/B][/QUOTE]

it is not a friend on another booking it is a mum and dad with a child, they had to book 2 cabins, I would be furious too if this was me

"The bookings are linked as its Mum Dad and young son so they have had to have the son with one and the other adult next door. To rub salt in its cost a fortune for the 2nd cabin as its a single passenger."

Welcome to the world of parenthood! we are off on Azura IN the summer hols in 3 weeks time and guess what? we are paying full select price adult fare for out 2 children - who are 5 and 2. But I want to go on a cruise so I suck it up and pay the price.

On the 'children are the bane of the earth' concept - I too find that certain older adults are ruder, expect the impossible and generally make my holiday more difficult - I have never had this problem with the loudest teenager - they might make noise but they don't interact with you unless you do with them so are a minimal issue.

[quote name='rubydoobydoo']it is not a friend on another booking it is a mum and dad with a child, they had to book 2 cabins, I would be furious too if this was me "[/quote]

I know this is off-thread and I apologise if my reply to rubydoobydoo's post bothers anybody. I'm not sure why a couple with a child would have to book 2 cabins. We've got good friends who cruise with P&O regularly and they always have one cabin for 2 adults and 2 children (aged 11 and 9). If the OP on the other thread booked for themselves and their child, surely there is no question that there would only be one booking for 2 cabins?? We've also got three single friends who share one cabin. I still think it is completely out of proportion to suggest that the OP should contact a TV consumer programme to complain. Edited by tartanexile81

[quote name='blitznbobs']

On the 'children are the bane of the earth' concept - I too find that [COLOR=Red]certain [/COLOR]older adults are ruder, expect the impossible and generally make my holiday more difficult - I have never had this problem with the loudest teenager - they might make noise but they don't interact with you unless you do with them so are a minimal issue.[/quote]

I tend to agree - and I am one of the 60+(only just!) referred to in an earlier post. I like to see some kids on board, (although would also personally avoid school holidays). Some of my generation, and particularly those older, are incredibly rude and have no respect for others. This was evident all around on my recent cruise on Azura - although I also met some lovely people of all ages. But I was also shocked beyond belief to hear (I couldn't help but hear!) the foul language from the occupants of my neighbouring balcony - a young couple with 2 children - one in nappies and another about 4years old . I am not joking - the "f" word was coming out every 10th word or so. I do feel for the future of those children....:mad: I am sorry if this what cruising is now attracting...

Pealittle, on some of the P&O cruises from Southampton infants cost £99 if the cruise is out of school holidays. We got quotes from them for some of the Canaries cruises so if you really want to do a cruise it might be worth looking at them. We ended up on a Med fly-cruise and were told its the cost of the flight (infants do get their own seat and luggage allowance) that accounts for the difference in price.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[quote name='tartanexile81']I know this is off-thread and I apologise if my reply to rubydoobydoo's post bothers anybody. I'm not sure why a couple with a child would have to book 2 cabins. We've got good friends who cruise with P&O regularly and they always have one cabin for 2 adults and 2 children (aged 11 and 9). If the OP on the other thread booked for themselves and their child, surely there is no question that there would only be one booking for 2 cabins?? We've also got three single friends who share one cabin. I still think it is completely out of proportion to suggest that the OP should contact a TV consumer programme to complain.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if it was a cabin that could only take two people ?
I have no idea as I only know what I read but it is unacceptable that P and O have put a family who booked together on different flights, there must be something they do

[quote name='Alan Flett']Yes it's my decision to sail or not and I do as I like the product they offer although it's more expensive than I would like.

P and O will calculate the port fees and taxes based upon expected occupancy and the anticipated age range of that occupancy based upon trends and past sailings so it won't be as simple as a 'soul'.

Yes my children poop and pee but this will be less than an adult and if my children 'spit up', I clean up the mess as I would not expect anyone to do this for me.

I gather you don't have children, hence the unsympathetic view.

I have booked 2 cabins for next year for roughly the same as I would have been paying for 1 (as is my sister for that matter who is coming with us), therefore P and O are potentially losing out on 2 cabins spending heavily in the bars and shops as we will spend the same regardless of if we were in 1 cabin or 2.

Again I am not complaining, I think it is unfair. If I didn't want to pay it then I wouldn't.[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]You'll notice in my post that I said I was "not unsympathetic." That means my view is sympathetic.[/COLOR] [COLOR=DarkRed]I am sympathetic to your sense of disappointment, not your sense of "fairness." "Unfair" is not a word that can be justifiably associated with free enterprise.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]I have 5 children.[/COLOR]

The initial question seemed to be one of "Why do they charge so much?"

2 part answer, and it's simple.
[LIST=1]
[*]They can charge what they want.
[*]People pay that price.
[/LIST]If people stop paying those prices, they will change. It is the law of business.

I will drink to the adults only ships, like Arcadia. I don't know how families with children can afford to all go on a cruise, we had to wait until we retired to start cruising. It was cost prohibitive way back in child rearing/mortgage days. Edited by NSWP